Mining for Ideas - Tharkold game shows

Atama

Re: Mining for Ideas - Tharkold game shows

Postby Atama » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:01 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:What is that Japanese film where they put school kids on an island with various weapons, everything from saucepans to rocket launchers and only the last person standing gets to leave... and it's all televised I think.

Battle Royale.

It’s literally where the “battle royale” game genre (Fortnite and so on) got its name from.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Padre

Postby Padre » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:05 am

Spatula wrote:.
[Snip]
Someone upthread mentioned the Amazing Race, which I think is an awesome idea for Tharkold. But speaking of actual reality shows, how about Survivor? Except the island (or whatever) is full of dangerous flora and fauna and fun stuff like landmines, and the two teams are actively trying to sabotage/kill each other. It would be more like Lord of the Flies but with a prize for whoever makes it to the end.

This is basically Hunger Games as well. Hmm. It would be interesting to run that for my players. They read those and watched the movies when they were younger.

mathey

Postby mathey » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:34 pm

I think Tharkold's death sports and arena combat stuff would be more on the brutal side of things, what with the demons and Russian setting and all.

Some Autoduel/Car Wars/Deathrace 2000 mayhem seems a natural fit, right?

If you're not familiar with Deathrace 2000, it features a dark satiric dystopian game show where a bunch of weirdos engage in a cross-country auto race where their vehicles are equipped a range of weapons and they score extra points for pedestrian kills. The movie's actually pretty fun in a trashy '70s B-Movie sort of way. Its had lots of imitators and homages in the years since, like Twisted Metal, Carmageddon, a shitty remake directed by Paul W S Anderson, etc, and I can definitely see the evil overlords of Tharkold running a similar race that crosses their cosm.

They might also have a motor racing venue akin to the sorts used for NASCAR, Indy 500, or demo derby events - though probably with some additional obstacles and terrain features to spice things up.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:51 am

I did approach this from a logistical point of view. At some point, the demon’s going to lose everyone if the games are too lethal. This is a cosm about pain, not so much death, though the latter is inevitable in many cases.

So when I presented the behind-the-scenes to the Storm Knights, they realized that some of the deaths on screen were actually digitally enhanced or done in a nebulous fashion. It was the threat of death—and sometimes the illusion of death—that fueled the ratings. Being the pain is a world law, the shows were more about torturing contestants. In that regard, perhaps I should’ve considered scenarios straight out of the Saw series. Gotta answer these questions to get the combination and free your arm from the bear trap.

While death may have been a commodity that the technodemons would want to carefully ration, pain would be in abundance. So what if your contestant loses a limb? Slap an artificial one on there and televise the pain.

I didn’t explore this part so much with my television studio, but I did for my Tharkold carnival. The entertainment devices are also used to harvest vril from reality-rated contestants. The studios provide double duty.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:30 am

Something allowing viewers at home to call in and deliver pain by proxy would work well too. Makes them feel Dominant over someone else even if they aren't really - useful for keeping the masses sated.

mathey

Postby mathey » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:43 pm

Greymarch2000 wrote:Something allowing viewers at home to call in and deliver pain by proxy would work well too. Makes them feel Dominant over someone else even if they aren't really - useful for keeping the masses sated.

That is SICK and I love it!

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:48 pm

Text MICHELLE or BORIS to 2983334 to lower that person’s cage closer to the pit of scorpions. Standard rates apply.

Hey, a technodemon’s gotta eat.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Atama

Postby Atama » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:50 pm

People torturing others on TV from their living rooms should be called Ouch Potatoes.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

mystic101

Postby mystic101 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:36 am

Greymarch2000 wrote:Something allowing viewers at home to call in and deliver pain by proxy would work well too. Makes them feel Dominant over someone else even if they aren't really - useful for keeping the masses sated.

I love this idea. Mass-produced pain on an industrial level, given freely by the proles by playing on their petty illusions of wannabe dominance . . . very fitting for a place with both Tharkold’s world laws, and with the high level of organization allowed by its Social axiom. It’d be a veritable bonanza for whatever Mojo-demon media mogul came up with the idea.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”