Things you'd like to know about Core Earth

GeniusCodeMonkey

Things you'd like to know about Core Earth

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:50 pm

Since the other threads was rather...popular... ;) I figured I'd do the same for Core Earth.

Essentially I'm looking for

"I'd like to know more about X" where X is either something that already exists in Torg Eternity that we've established.

or

"I think Y would be really cool to see" where Y was something from Original Torg you found cool. Just because it was in Original Torg doesn't mean that it's going to be in Torg Eternity though, but it's good to know if there's something we haven't considered including that we really should include because lots of you liked it.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Atama

Re: Things you'd like to know about Core Earth

Postby Atama » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:59 pm

I wonder what kind of action movies are watched in a world that itself resembles action movies.

Also, more about cryptids like Bigfoot and lake monsters.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:01 pm

What are the Core Earth governments doing about the advanced tech and magic available in other realms?

We know there is Storm Front, are they collecting Tech and Magic items for personal use?

Is there any Bond Villains collecting Tech to advance the Core Earth Tech Axiom or trying to take over the world?

After the first year governments would have started a concerted effort to fight back. How are the CIA, MI5, MI6, Mossad etc. fighting back?
Question everything.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:03 pm

Atama wrote:I wonder what kind of action movies are watched in a world that itself resembles action movies.

Also, more about cryptids like Bigfoot and lake monsters.

Since movies are escapism, you have a few options:

One: Genre switch. Lots of movies about pirates, cowboys, etc, which feature "realistic" action stunts, like standing on the back of a horse, then leaping from one to another, so that after seven horsebacks, you're ready to do the actual *impressive* thing.

Two: Move toward sthe mundane. Romance movies are BIG BOX OFFICE because no one DOES anything, they just talk and use WORDS. Charisma's the rarist stat around! Those people who can emote are AMAZING!

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:08 pm

I'd like to know what daily life is like in that cosm and what the High Lord is planning- oh wait we're talking about Core Earth.

With the massive geopolitical changes, I wonder which countries people look up to now to lead the defence against the invasion. Obviously Australia as a safe place to flee to but I'm not sure how politically active they are. Who are the figureheads of Core Earth? Likewise who are the villains? There's obviously a lot of opportunity for profiteering off the invasion at the cost of the war effort. So far Storm Break seems to be active only in the US, but are they really?

To me Core Earth is fairly synonymous with Delphi Council, so I wonder about all the bureaucracy that goes on in there away from PC eyes. Has Sebastian named a chain of command in case something happens to him (and we know something will eventually) official or otherwise? How did he actually get the various countries' backing? Did he have great charisma or was it mostly about going to each leader and saying "Yeah, we're the Delphi Council, everyone else is backing us, are you?" and not give them time to check? Or perhaps did the Delphi Council actually exist before and was simply taken over by out favorite trans-editional traveler?

The magic, miracles and cryptids are something that's unclear to me. Did they actually exist before the invasion or have they appeared retroactively on Day One?

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:32 pm

With the exposure to all this new tech, magic, psi and miracles are any of the axioms on the verge of going up or down? Core Earth reality is supposed to be flexible, just how flexible is its reality?

Now that people KNOW Gods exist, does this mean more people are believing so the Spirit Axiom goes up?

With scientific theories now known to be fact, does the Tech Axiom go up?

Are travelling magicians teaching magic openingly? Has this causes local increases in the Magic axiom?

With the fragmentation of society, you almost expect the Social Axiom to go down!

With an action movie cosm like Core Earth, what are the Blofeld type Bond villains doing? ... this could be an excellent hook for a scenario.
Question everything.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:39 pm

Why do u Think people 'Know' gods exist?

People who escaped from Living Land have some wild stories? Most will dismiss them as hysterical bouts of Fancy.

People who escaped Aysle? Magic is more believable than gods are.

People see miracles performed live on TV by Cyberpapacy? Obviously great special effects.

I dont see any reason to think people would 'Know' gods exist. I can see a small minority turning to religion out of fear but most non believers wouldn't suddenly give up freedom out of fear.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:30 am

Zackzenobi wrote:Why do u Think people 'Know' gods exist?

People who escaped from Living Land have some wild stories? Most will dismiss them as hysterical bouts of Fancy.

People who escaped Aysle? Magic is more believable than gods are.

People see miracles performed live on TV by Cyberpapacy? Obviously great special effects.

I dont see any reason to think people would 'Know' gods exist. I can see a small minority turning to religion out of fear but most non believers wouldn't suddenly give up freedom out of fear.

I don't disagree with anything said here↑, however;

I expect more followers of old religions would feel, Safer(?) coming forward. I also think RoCE does a great job of addressing this issue already.

I would like to see some mention of CE Psychic gatherings...like the group of phone psychics who avoided being arrested for fraud by leaving or not showing up for work when the police raided their location, multiple times, until the judge refused to sign a warrant on the grounds that those employees might not be frauds...

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:56 am

I think you'll find way more people believe in God than believe in magic.

(After all, the CE spiritual axiom is 10 while magic is only 7.)

mathey

Postby mathey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:47 am

Action Movie tropes suggest the following:

Every major police force has at least one infamous maverick cop or buddy cop duo that blow up buildings and cars fairly frequently....

Every First World government has at least one top level secret agent that blows up buildings and cars fairly frequently....

Every large city has experienced at least one major heist or hostage scenario in which buildings and cars blew up....

Basically, the average human being in any well-populated city has been through some intense shit before the High Lords show up.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”