When Cosms Collide Discussion Thread

TorgHacker

Re: When Cosms Collide Discussion Thread

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:39 am

graethynne wrote:Is there any particular reason the Church Police Streetbeaters (page 21) have adds in energy weapons as they aren't carrying any?

Grae

They have the skill even if this group isn't equipped with energy weapons. (it's just a cut and paste from the core book).
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:41 am

graethynne wrote:*edit* Since Shadow Step is already a Darkness perk in the core book, which does the same thing as this ability and Darkness Wolves as written are "treated as though they have one darkness perk" it seems to me that the answer to my question is to delete that "treated as..." text and move Shadow Step from Special Ability to Perk. Am I missing anything here?

Re: the Darkness Wolf stat block (page 21)

How would one of these "attack with Shadow Step?" Is this intended to be as part of a multi-action: Stealth vs Mind to break line of sight and then attack the now flat-footed target? Or is this just a start of combat type thing which essentially gives Darkness Wolves who gain surprise (and therefore the Heroes are Flat-footed) a +2 damage bonus for the first round.

For reference:
Shadow Step: Stealth tests are Favored. Using
Shadow Step to attack a Flat Footed target
grants +2 damage.

Grae

Sometimes we'll write a Perk as a special ability so you don't have to flip to the core book to see what it does. But those abilities still need to be accounted because some abilities in the Asyle SB key off of the number of Darkness Perks someone has.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:44 am

graethynne wrote:Two quickies about the Troll Stat Block

First - why are some of the skill totals in parentheses

"Skills: Dodge 10, find 6, intimidation 15, taunt (8),
trick (8), unarmed combat 13"

Those are defense-only skills. They don't attack with taunt or trick...but they've got some resistance to them. This is on page 262 of the corebook:

"If a foe lists a skill in parentheses (), that value
is used for defenses only. This notation is useful
when a creature is harder to affect with a particular
interaction, but not completely immune."

And Second, does Stomp roll unarmed combat to hit?

For reference:
• Stomp: Strength (15). This attack counts as
Favored against any creature smaller than
Large.

Thanks!

Yes. That should read Damage: Strength (15).
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:45 am

graethynne wrote:Is it intentional for the Draugr and Draugr Wingsman Chainmail (pg 23) to lack the Torso designation? A quick scan through the adventure has chainmail consistently being torso only, except for these two entries.

And with that I have completed my deep dive of Act 1 (well except for the two pages of questions above - sorry guys I am trying to be helpful, I hope it doesn't come off as nit-picky).

Graethynne

It's an oversight. Technically they don't HAVE to say Torso, but we try to be user friendly.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:06 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
graethynne wrote:*edit* Since Shadow Step is already a Darkness perk in the core book, which does the same thing as this ability and Darkness Wolves as written are "treated as though they have one darkness perk" it seems to me that the answer to my question is to delete that "treated as..." text and move Shadow Step from Special Ability to Perk. Am I missing anything here?

Re: the Darkness Wolf stat block (page 21)

How would one of these "attack with Shadow Step?" Is this intended to be as part of a multi-action: Stealth vs Mind to break line of sight and then attack the now flat-footed target? Or is this just a start of combat type thing which essentially gives Darkness Wolves who gain surprise (and therefore the Heroes are Flat-footed) a +2 damage bonus for the first round.

For reference:
Shadow Step: Stealth tests are Favored. Using
Shadow Step to attack a Flat Footed target
grants +2 damage.

Grae

Sometimes we'll write a Perk as a special ability so you don't have to flip to the core book to see what it does. But those abilities still need to be accounted because some abilities in the Asyle SB key off of the number of Darkness Perks someone has.

Copy that - so then The Shadow Step Special Ability should be written the same (and function the same) as the Perk from the core book? That makes sense.

Thanks so much for getting through all of those (and especially for your patience with the things I'd simply forgotten, like the parenthetical skills). I've now submitted for everything I found through act 1. On to Act 2.

Graethynne

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:56 pm

Regarding crossing the bridge (Act 2 Scene 1)

A couple of questions (full text copied below for the winds section)

Are characters with Conjuration able to warn others about the winds (provided they make their test)?

Are these wind attacks repeated or one offs?

Should any shock inflicted persist until there is a chance to rest (like the prior test) or basically evaporate immediately (as per normal)?

Are "buffets" and "staggers" meant to have any mechanical effect here or are they just flavor?
(If the later, "staggers" is a little confusing since it is a weapon property).

Does being moved by the winds 2 or 5 meters have any mechanical or narrative effect beyond letting the player know about how rough the winds are?
(I think what I am starting to see is that winds can be used to disrupt a single file march behind a Storm Knight who who is leading the party on a "safe path" from Find/Reality test element that is listed right before this. So these two beats aren't necessarily strictly sequential but can interplay a bit.)

Is the bridge itself the "artifact" that the winds are trying to undo or is that a reference to something else?

Finally, the raiding ship beat is essentially cosmetic right? (unless PCs decide to somehow attack the long ships).

• The winds are highly variable with gusts up
to 50 miles per hour. At top speed the wind can
push the investigators to gaps or faulty parts
of the bridge. Characters with conjuration can
easily determine that elemental characteristics
mix with the winds; an Easy (DN 8) conjuration
test suffices. Not fully sentient, the winds are a
manifestation of Aysle attempts to undo a Core
Earth artifact, trying to damage travelers and
the bridge itself. The winds attack each character
with an unarmed combat skill of 11. If the heroes
were unaware of the elemental nature of the
winds, they are caught Flat Footed. Success
buffets a character 2 meters, a Good Success
staggers a character 5 meters, and inflicts 10 +
1BD damage, and an Outstanding Success lifts
a character in a whirling vortex of air and hurls
her 10 meters, and inflicts 10 + 2BD damage.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:37 pm

I think that was more than a couple of questions. ;-)

In all seriousness though, I think you may be worrying the details a bit too much. Just GM it. That's literally just the palate cleanser for the act. It isn't really important. Heck, personally I'd just skip all the rolls and just narrate that stuff.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:39 pm

Regarding Bridgetown - is basically the bit in the middle of the bridge with the "land" and also Saltholm? Or is it just on the Bridge proper?

If the former, do the gates block crossing the bridge or just block access to Saltholm (or both)? I.e. can you walk across the bridge without interacting with the gates directly?

Where are the chain circled harbors of Bridgetown?

Is there anything to direct the party to Opportunity other than one of the guards mentioning it in response to questions from them? It seems plausible that they might just book it directly across the bridge, and miss the tavern completely.

Regarding the Swede-Side guards
"They try to shake down any travelers for at least $10 each, although they can be talked down to $5."

Is this a standard DN 10 Persuasion test, a simple no roll Role-play moment or something else? And if the PCs insist on $2 because that is the actual toll, will the guards just refuse to open up? Just wondering how this might escalate.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mtYx ... -09-17.png

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:41 pm

TorgHacker wrote:I think that was more than a couple of questions. ;-)

In all seriousness though, I think you may be worrying the details a bit too much. Just GM it. That's literally just the palate cleanser for the act. It isn't really important. Heck, personally I'd just skip all the rolls and just narrate that stuff.

Yeah that might be my bent as well (narrating it and getting to Bridgetown) but either way I'm always curious about the design intent to. Not because there is only one right way to run something but more because the author had something in mind and if not's obvious to me what that is then I want to find out :)

Grae

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:12 pm

Problem is, I'm not the one who designed it. :-)

But here's a little secret...sometimes the design intent is, "It seemed like a good idea at the time." :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”