Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

TorgHacker

Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:15 am

Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wakshani

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

Postby Wakshani » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:46 am

Synarchist

Postby Synarchist » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:31 am

Glad to see the Cyberpapcy taking more territory this time around. It's always been one of my favorite cosms, although fifteen-year-old-me wasn't quite sophisticated enough yet to fully grok some of what it was trying to do. I just knew it subverted cyberpunk-trope expectations and I dug it back then.

My Cyberpapcy thus far can be summed up like this:

"Salvation is mandatory." It's a compulsory Christ - all burdens relieved, if you'll just put on these chains. Dying to see what you've done with the place, Deanna!

Kyrion

Postby Kyrion » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:53 am

I love that map of South America!

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:56 am

Synarchist wrote:Glad to see the Cyberpapcy taking more territory this time around. It's always been one of my favorite cosms, although fifteen-year-old-me wasn't quite sophisticated enough yet to fully grok some of what it was trying to do. I just knew it subverted cyberpunk-trope expectations and I dug it back then.

"Salvation is mandatory." It's a compulsory Christ - all burdens relieved, if you'll just put on these chains. Dying to see what you've done with the place, Deanna!

Interestingly I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more nervous about this one than I was with the Nile Empire. There I basically just had to make sure I didn't break it. In this one I'm sure there are going to be a few creative decisions that will make some people go :| . I mean, I'm happy with what we've done...I just know some people are going to go, "I don't like this" with some of the changes. But I could be worrying too much too...I've been known to do that. :lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:19 pm

Reading the blurb so far, it looks good. The Law of Stagnation is great to get around a few things that have been worrying me. I like the idea that accepting the church saves you from cyberpsychosis.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Synarchist

Postby Synarchist » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:07 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Synarchist wrote:Glad to see the Cyberpapcy taking more territory this time around. It's always been one of my favorite cosms, although fifteen-year-old-me wasn't quite sophisticated enough yet to fully grok some of what it was trying to do. I just knew it subverted cyberpunk-trope expectations and I dug it back then.

Interestingly I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more nervous about this one than I was with the Nile Empire. There I basically just had to make sure I didn't break it. In this one I'm sure there are going to be a few creative decisions that will make some people go :| . I mean, I'm happy with what we've done...I just know some people are going to go, "I don't like this" with some of the changes. But I could be worrying too much too...I've been known to do that. :lol:

I *totally* get this. That said, I think one of the strengths that you - and the entire TE team - have demonstrated so far is a willingness to make strong creative choices when you could have just played it safe. You bring a vision. That's a good thing.

To frame it a different way... Do you remember the shot-for-shot remake of "Psycho"? Nobody does, because it's utterly unnecessary and terrible. On the other hand, Gunn's remake of "Dawn of the Dead" is considered one of the best remakes of all time. It brought new things to the table. From adding Cosm and Destiny cards to the Drama Deck to tweaking the Living Land and Pan-Pacifica, Torg Eternity has never been just a copy of oTorg. Hell, look at how well "When Cosms Collide" has been received.

Nobody can please *everyone,* but I suspect you'll be juuuuuust fine my good woman. Look around - we're all *already* on board. So bring *your* vision. Just do it soon, because my inner Veruca Salt is throwing a tantrum :-P

TCArknight

Postby TCArknight » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:51 pm

Synarchist wrote:I *totally* get this. That said, I think one of the strengths that you - and the entire TE team - have demonstrated so far is a willingness to make strong creative choices when you could have just played it safe. You bring a vision. That's a good thing.

To frame it a different way... Do you remember the shot-for-shot remake of "Psycho"? Nobody does, because it's utterly unnecessary and terrible. On the other hand, Gunn's remake of "Dawn of the Dead" is considered one of the best remakes of all time. It brought new things to the table. From adding Cosm and Destiny cards to the Drama Deck to tweaking the Living Land and Pan-Pacifica, Torg Eternity has never been just a copy of oTorg. Hell, look at how well "When Cosms Collide" has been received.

Nobody can please *everyone,* but I suspect you'll be juuuuuust fine my good woman. Look around - we're all *already* on board. So bring *your* vision. Just do it soon, because my inner Veruca Salt is throwing a tantrum :-P

This 100%. Thank you for your vision and the willingness to follow it!

mathey

Postby mathey » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:45 pm

Look forward to finding out more!

Kamelion

Postby Kamelion » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:12 am

Hugely excited for the Cyberpapacy. Easily my favourite cosm from oTorg, so really looking forward to seeing what has remained and what has changed/been updated. Technology has moved on a great deal and society has changed massively since the 90s, so I can imagine that it's a tough job to do this one justice. But you guys have done so well with the existing material so far that I think you've won our trust. Bring it on :)
The name that can be named is not the true name.

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”