Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

mystic101

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

Postby mystic101 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:54 am

I'm actually really looking forward to the soundtrack for CP. The CP song from the core cargo box cd is one of my favorites. I'm hoping some Enigma-esque Gregorian electronica will be included.

Synarchist

Postby Synarchist » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:15 am

I'll stick this here because I'm sure they'll drop an official thread, but the Cyberpapcy Preview #2 just dropped.

It has Bit from "Tron."

It has BIT from TRON!!! As a PC companion!!!

I have no words. I had Tron *memorized* as a kid. The inner squee is too much.

"Great. Another mouth to feed."

"Yes."

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Deanna, you're the freaking best. End of line.

Matthew Surridge

Postby Matthew Surridge » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:44 am

Synarchist wrote:I'll stick this here because I'm sure they'll drop an official thread, but the Cyberpapcy Preview #2 just dropped.

It has Bit from "Tron."

"Yes."

You and I had exactly the same thought down to the same remembered line of dialogue.

This is awesome.
Humankind cannot bear very much reality
— T.S. Eliot, who didn't know the half of it

My Torg Eternity review, part one and part two

TCArknight

Postby TCArknight » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:29 pm

Matthew Surridge wrote:
Synarchist wrote:I'll stick this here because I'm sure they'll drop an official thread, but the Cyberpapcy Preview #2 just dropped.

It has Bit from "Tron."

"Yes."

You and I had exactly the same thought down to the same remembered line of dialogue.

This is awesome.

This. :)

End-Of-Line

TCArknight

Postby TCArknight » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:33 pm

Also, this comment:
Out of the invading cosms, the Cyberpapacy has the highest technology. In addition to the GodNet, a virtual reality that you literally upload your soul to, cyberware is ubiquitous, and holograms and limited force field technology allow artificial intelligences to extend into the Flesh. Jacking out doesn’t mean you’ve escaped.

TRON as a full-on, real Storm Knight? Possibility?

Or even the EMH from Star Trek: Voyager?

Synarchist

Postby Synarchist » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:05 pm

TCArknight wrote:
Matthew Surridge wrote:

It has Bit from "Tron."

"Yes."

This is awesome.

End-Of-Line

You know, I think there's actually a *really* interesting conversation to be had about Tron, its influence on cyberpunk, and why it's a perfect reference point for the Cyberpapcy. Such an interesting point of influence, because in many ways the world of Tron and that of the Cyberpapcy are literally opposites or mirrors.

There's no question that Tron was an early influence on the cyberpunk genre - despite being more science fantasy than science fiction - and entirely appropriate to be referenced. But Tron is also an anti-communist manifesto under the hood. Released in 1982 in the heart of the Cold War, it has a Communist Dictator (the MCP) repurposing programs (citizens) for the good of the State and brutally suppressing religion (belief in the Users). In the end, it's faith and the Users that save everyone. It's a great big anti-commie allegory.

The Cyberpapcy is also a totalitarian regime, but this time reflected - it's a theocracy. The perversion of faith is the enemy. Freedom to believe in anything *else* is what's suppressed. Salvation is mandatory.

In Tron you went into the computer. In the Cyberpapcy, the computer comes to *you* in the real world. Again, mirror images (the implications of the end of Tron Legacy aren't important here, it's the original I'm looking at).

Both have brainwashing overtones, but they need opposite methods to work. In Tron they want to keep the programs away from the Users, isolated and vulnerable, while the Cyberpapcy wants to merge the two experiences (real life and being in the GodNet) as much as possible.

The list goes on, but I think I've hijacked this thread to extrapolate from an Easter egg to a 27 year old movie long enough haha. All I'm saying is that while probably not a deliberate choice, there's a lot of interesting stuff to contrast between the two works. Plus, with hard light we can have lightcycles! :-P

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:55 pm

It has Bit from "Tron."

"Yes."

Spoiler: Not the only Tron reference... ;-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:59 pm

And they still haven't picked up on the other hint in this one. I feel like dropping a super-obscure oblique reference.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:01 pm

Synarchist wrote:
TCArknight wrote:
Matthew Surridge wrote:

This is awesome.

End-Of-Line

You know, I think there's actually a *really* interesting conversation to be had about Tron, its influence on cyberpunk, and why it's a perfect reference point for the Cyberpapcy. Such an interesting point of influence, because in many ways the world of Tron and that of the Cyberpapcy are literally opposites or mirrors.

There's no question that Tron was an early influence on the cyberpunk genre - despite being more science fantasy than science fiction - and entirely appropriate to be referenced. But Tron is also an anti-communist manifesto under the hood. Released in 1982 in the heart of the Cold War, it has a Communist Dictator (the MCP) repurposing programs (citizens) for the good of the State and brutally suppressing religion (belief in the Users). In the end, it's faith and the Users that save everyone. It's a great big anti-commie allegory.

The Cyberpapcy is also a totalitarian regime, but this time reflected - it's a theocracy. The perversion of faith is the enemy. Freedom to believe in anything *else* is what's suppressed. Salvation is mandatory.

In Tron you went into the computer. In the Cyberpapcy, the computer comes to *you* in the real world. Again, mirror images (the implications of the end of Tron Legacy aren't important here, it's the original I'm looking at).

Both have brainwashing overtones, but they need opposite methods to work. In Tron they want to keep the programs away from the Users, isolated and vulnerable, while the Cyberpapcy wants to merge the two experiences (real life and being in the GodNet) as much as possible.

The list goes on, but I think I've hijacked this thread to extrapolate from an Easter egg to a 27 year old movie long enough haha. All I'm saying is that while probably not a deliberate choice, there's a lot of interesting stuff to contrast between the two works. Plus, with hard light we can have lightcycles! :-P

Well, I'm not sure I'd say that there was a direct intent to be anti-Communist...but the Cyberpapacy is essentially a Communist theocracy...there aren't corporations...everything is owned by the Church, everything is supplied by the Church, everybody works for the Church.

I wanted to differentiate it from the other *punk setting, Pan-Pacifica, which _is_ the capitalist dystopia one.

But yeah, there's no question that Tron was a big influence on this. The Matrix too.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:02 pm

Wakshani wrote:And they still haven't picked up on the other hint in this one. I feel like dropping a super-obscure oblique reference.

Do it. I'm not even sure what you're talking about. :lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”