Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

Wakshani

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

Postby Wakshani » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:15 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Wakshani wrote:And they still haven't picked up on the other hint in this one. I feel like dropping a super-obscure oblique reference.

Do it. I'm not even sure what you're talking about. :lol:

Goodie!

Okay, keep in mind kiddies, this is NOT the release date or the kickstarter date but a super-obscure clue tied in with the preview.

Ready?

Ahem.

November 15th

There ya go.

mathey

Postby mathey » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:40 pm

Wakshani wrote:Ready?

Ahem.

November 15th

There ya go.

AHA!

National Clean Out Your Fridge Day!

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:57 pm

mathey wrote:
Wakshani wrote:Ready?

Ahem.

November 15th

There ya go.

AHA!

National Clean Out Your Fridge Day!

Matthew Surridge

Postby Matthew Surridge » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:25 pm

Synarchist wrote:There's no question that Tron was an early influence on the cyberpunk genre - despite being more science fantasy than science fiction - and entirely appropriate to be referenced. But Tron is also an anti-communist manifesto under the hood. Released in 1982 in the heart of the Cold War, it has a Communist Dictator (the MCP) repurposing programs (citizens) for the good of the State and brutally suppressing religion (belief in the Users). In the end, it's faith and the Users that save everyone. It's a great big anti-commie allegory.

This is an interesting reading, because I'd always seen Tron as a straight-ahead retelling of the Christ story. Flynn as both fully program and fully user; the MCU as the Roman Empire (and therefore with gladiatorial games persecuting true believers); as you say, the worldly power persecuting the faithful. And of course a sacrifice at the end. In that sense, it's the *perfect* thing to reference in the Cyberpapacy …
Humankind cannot bear very much reality
— T.S. Eliot, who didn't know the half of it

My Torg Eternity review, part one and part two

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:33 pm

Matthew Surridge wrote:
Synarchist wrote:There's no question that Tron was an early influence on the cyberpunk genre - despite being more science fantasy than science fiction - and entirely appropriate to be referenced. But Tron is also an anti-communist manifesto under the hood. Released in 1982 in the heart of the Cold War, it has a Communist Dictator (the MCP) repurposing programs (citizens) for the good of the State and brutally suppressing religion (belief in the Users). In the end, it's faith and the Users that save everyone. It's a great big anti-commie allegory.

This is an interesting reading, because I'd always seen Tron as a straight-ahead retelling of the Christ story. Flynn as both fully program and fully user; the MCU as the Roman Empire (and therefore with gladiatorial games persecuting true believers); as you say, the worldly power persecuting the faithful. And of course a sacrifice at the end. In that sense, it's the *perfect* thing to reference in the Cyberpapacy …

That's the thing about art. The artist might have an intention, but that might not be what people read into it. Which is why art is actually an interactive process, even if there's little interactivity going on.

See: The Matrix as a transgender allegory.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Atama

Postby Atama » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:36 pm

November 15 is the Day of the Imprisoned Writer. :shock:

Was that a cry for help? Is Ulisses Spiele holding you folks hostage? Someone contact the Delphi Council for aid!
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Synarchist

Postby Synarchist » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:46 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Matthew Surridge wrote:

That's the thing about art. The artist might have an intention, but that might not be what people read into it. Which is why art is actually an interactive process, even if there's little interactivity going on.

See: The Matrix as a transgender allegory.

So much THIS, Deanna! I was literally about to post about the subjective nature of interpreting art, separate from what the artist's *intent* to communicate is. And as a tangent, I love this community and the fact it can have conversations like this!

That said, yup - while I'd always looked at Tron strictly through the Cold War lens of its time, a Christ allegory is every bit as valid and something I'd not considered! No matter how you slice it though, seems like we agree that Tron is a *fantastic* point of reference and influence for the Cyberpapcy, if an unexpected one.

My excitement for the Cosm book just keeps growing! One of these days in the miscellany thread I'll tell you all about how and why the CyberPope added the Virgin Mara, Holy Mother of GodNet to the catechism to defang Mara-II's message in my game, and how Tron gave me the idea, but for now I'm beyond excited to see what's *officially* in store! :-)

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:09 pm

Man am I hyped for the CP box! I mean I have been desperately waiting for it since TE was *announced* but it just keeps getting better and better!

G

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:37 pm

Atama wrote:November 15 is the Day of the Imprisoned Writer. :shock:

Was that a cry for help? Is Ulisses Spiele holding you folks hostage? Someone contact the Delphi Council for aid!

Are you kidding? I'd break IN to write more! :D

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:23 pm

That Cyber package in the second preview is basically RoboCop!! Wow, you folks, I am just always in awe of your creativity, evocation and skill. I just wanna run Torg all day every day....maybe if I run a game for my Land Lord that will cover rent? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”