Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

mathey
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:18 am

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

Postby mathey » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:30 pm

Synarchist wrote:So much THIS, Deanna! I was literally about to post about the subjective nature of interpreting art


One of the more intriguing and fun things is seeing how you can have ALL of those interpretations applicable to a single cosm and THEN have it cross it over with other ones to see where the themes echo or contrast with each other.

User avatar
Matthew Surridge
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:57 pm

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

Postby Matthew Surridge » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:46 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Matthew Surridge wrote:
Synarchist wrote:There's no question that Tron was an early influence on the cyberpunk genre - despite being more science fantasy than science fiction - and entirely appropriate to be referenced. But Tron is also an anti-communist manifesto under the hood. Released in 1982 in the heart of the Cold War, it has a Communist Dictator (the MCP) repurposing programs (citizens) for the good of the State and brutally suppressing religion (belief in the Users). In the end, it's faith and the Users that save everyone. It's a great big anti-commie allegory.


This is an interesting reading, because I'd always seen Tron as a straight-ahead retelling of the Christ story. Flynn as both fully program and fully user; the MCU as the Roman Empire (and therefore with gladiatorial games persecuting true believers); as you say, the worldly power persecuting the faithful. And of course a sacrifice at the end. In that sense, it's the *perfect* thing to reference in the Cyberpapacy …


That's the thing about art. The artist might have an intention, but that might not be what people read into it. Which is why art is actually an interactive process, even if there's little interactivity going on.

See: The Matrix as a transgender allegory.


Yes, very much so. And that's also something special about gaming, because you can watch in real-time as a bunch of people around a table interpret an idea in all kinds of different ways.
Humankind cannot bear very much reality
— T.S. Eliot, who didn't know the half of it

My Torg Eternity review, part one and part two

Fuzzy
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

Postby Fuzzy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:58 pm

Was warhammer 40k influential?

Tech axiom - ridiculous
Social - also low

Tech priests bury science in ritual. All knowledge is by the grace of the emperor.

Wakshani
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

Postby Wakshani » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:27 pm

Fuzzy wrote:Was warhammer 40k influential?

Tech axiom - ridiculous
Social - also low

Tech priests bury science in ritual. All knowledge is by the grace of the emperor.


There are certainly some similarities, but I tried to actively move away from them where I could. 40K's a great game... you don't need a knock-off.

The Godnet's a HUGE difference, right off the bat.

QuarrelBlue
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:09 pm

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

Postby QuarrelBlue » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:52 am

The two things that comes into my mind...

*)Is Law of Stagnation introduced to completely snuff out oTorg Cyberpapacy's "before the Revolution" flavor, or to make the flavor come DURING the invasion of the Earth?

*)I expected Cyberpapacy cyberpsychosis to be Rapturously dehumanizing. That is, turning people less human and more Angelic...

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 4563
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:24 am

QuarrelBlue wrote:The two things that comes into my mind...

*)Is Law of Stagnation introduced to completely snuff out oTorg Cyberpapacy's "before the Revolution" flavor, or to make the flavor come DURING the invasion of the Earth?

*)I expected Cyberpapacy cyberpsychosis to be Rapturously dehumanizing. That is, turning people less human and more Angelic...


1. No, I came up with the Law of Stagnation to explain why so much of the CP's social stuff was lower than Social 18, but then I realized that it could make Tech advancement more interesting. Though I may be not understanding what you mean by "before the Revolution" flavor.

2. I think the Cyberpapacy is going to be the cosm that subverts expectations the most.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 4563
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:27 am

Fuzzy wrote:Was warhammer 40k influential?

Tech axiom - ridiculous
Social - also low

Tech priests bury science in ritual. All knowledge is by the grace of the emperor.


No, I don't think so.

I mean, I played Warhammer 40,000 for a long time, so I'm certainly familiar with the background. However, the fact that both settings draw heavily on medieval tropes means that there will be some overlap. Though Rogue Trader came out in 1987, so it's possible there was some inspiration, but it would have been in Original Torg, not now.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TCArknight
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:11 am

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

Postby TCArknight » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:56 am

TorgHacker wrote:
2. I think the Cyberpapacy is going to be the cosm that subverts expectations the most.

This is one of the reasons I'm anxious for the KS to get rolling. Can't wait to see all the new twists and turns and foldings of the original as it were. :)

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 4563
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:10 pm

TCArknight wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:
2. I think the Cyberpapacy is going to be the cosm that subverts expectations the most.

This is one of the reasons I'm anxious for the KS to get rolling. Can't wait to see all the new twists and turns and foldings of the original as it were. :)


Just wait till you see what the GodNet is. We aren't going to preview it for awhile though, because we're waiting on art.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Zackzenobi
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Cyberpapacy Preview #1 - One Year Later...

Postby Zackzenobi » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:13 pm

Now you're scaring me..


Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests