Cyberpapacy Sourcebook!!

TorgHacker

Re: Cyberpapacy Sourcebook!!

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:51 am

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:How often does Malraux have revelations? Are there acolytes on 24 hour guard with pen and paper waiting to note down every word he says just incase he has a revelation?
What is the technology advancement pace? 1 axiom point every 10 years? 20? 50? Or has this slowed to less that 1 axiom point in 500 years because progress is only coming through one person? Who only gets revelations once a year?

TBD, but probably never will. Quantifying things like this just locks in things unnecessarily.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Fuzzy

Postby Fuzzy » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:11 pm

One would imagine that the possibility energy required to take a cosm from Tech 26 to tech 27 is a lot more than the energy required to go from tech 7 to tech 8. It's logarithmic, and getting to tech 30 (basically, total control over reality) from tech 26 is vastly harder than getting to tech 10 from tech 6.

It's not unlike getting a new perk for a cosm. ;)

Atama

Postby Atama » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:25 pm

GeniusCodeMonkey wrote:How often does Malraux have revelations? Are there acolytes on 24 hour guard with pen and paper waiting to note down every word he says just incase he has a revelation?

Why? CP is high tech, he probably dictates into a Holy Smartwatch or something.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Eightybrains

Postby Eightybrains » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:21 pm

Atama wrote:

Why? CP is high tech, he probably dictates into a Holy Smartwatch or something.

Smartwatches are heresy, don't you know? Only the blessed power of springs is allowed in the halls of Avignon. :twisted:
I’m just here ‘cause it’s my Special Interest

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:20 pm

What is the technology advancement pace? 1 axiom point every 10 years? 20? 50? Or has this slowed to less that 1 axiom point in 500 years because progress is only coming through one person? Who only gets revelations once a year?

More people than the Cyberpope get revelations... he just got the BIGGEST one. :D

Most people who get one wake up with a frenzy to get it done, and done fast, before the moment of revelation passes. Some scribble it down, others jump into it. For some, the images in their mind fade quickly while others carry it with them for their entire life … it varies by person and seemingly has neither rhyme nor reason. Those who suddenly get visions are certain to be visited by the local priests, both to record what they're saying, if it's divinely inspired, or to invoke an exorcism, if whatever the person is saying seems blasphemous. Others have the moment suddenly vanish, leaving them unfinished and with a hole in their heart. Think "In Xanadu, a stately pleasure dome did Kubla khan decree..." only with technology.

As for the pace? The exact number isn't really talked about, but it's around 12 points of increase in 500 years, which is a pretty high speed for that sort of thing. Trying to make heavy adjustments takes a lot of energy, best spread out over time... try and do it too fast and there can be unforeseen side-effects or damage as Possibility energy burns hot. In oTorg, moving from Tech 14 to Tech 26 in a day burned out dozens of Stelae, killed tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of people, and pulled so much energy from Magna Verita that the Cyberpope's invasion essentially stalled for four years. In TorgE, the cushin was MUCH softer for the development, but there's likely some damage that was done in the process all the same.

Will there ever be a deep look at that? Dunno. Be happy to write about it down the line if they ask me to. :D Reality mechanics are *really* cool and the deeper dives into things like ho wmuch energy it takes to stay neutral vs expansion vs reduction, how levels change naturally, and how much energy it takes to prevent changes... that's all REALLY neat, but not for everyone. How much energy does it take the Gaunt Man to prevent technology from improving in his realm? How much energy does it take Malreaux to reduce the Social axiom in his realm? If the demons wanted tp push their Magic axiom up, despite their world leaking it, could they and, if so, how much power would it take?

These are *neat* questions, but probably beyond the scope of this particular thread and, possibly, the direction of the game itself. It cold be handwavium incarnate.

Bu if you want to start a thread to talk about Reality mechanics, I'm down. :D

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:28 pm

Wakshani wrote:More people than the Cyberpope get revelations... he just got the BIGGEST one. :D

I'm fairly certain that Cyber-Deanna confirmed in the thread titled Reliquaries that only the Cyberpope does.

Bu if you want to start a thread to talk about Reality mechanics, I'm down. :D

Well, if you want to chime in on the thread GodNet vs. Reality... :)

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:54 pm

I'm sure priests and bishops can do some actual research then pretend they had a revelation. If it's not too big of an innovation, I bet Ebenuscrux won't bother sending the Techquisition (which, interestingly despite its name, is more about acquisition than inquisition).

MadSci

Postby MadSci » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:36 pm

Istrian wrote:I'm sure priests and bishops can do some actual research then pretend they had a revelation. If it's not too big of an innovation, I bet Ebenuscrux won't bother sending the Techquisition (which, interestingly despite its name, is more about acquisition than inquisition).

Reminds me of a passage from His Dark Materials where a Church research team presents their report only to have the Church suppress the results as heretical and execute the researchers.

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:39 am

Istrian wrote:I'm sure priests and bishops can do some actual research then pretend they had a revelation. If it's not too big of an innovation, I bet Ebenuscrux won't bother sending the Techquisition (which, interestingly despite its name, is more about acquisition than inquisition).

Well, it is a pun. Proving once again that Ebenescrux has a sense of humor :)

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:45 pm

Hi All -

I just noticed that the spell Portent doesn't appear on either spell list (white witch or cyberwitch).

Should it be on one or the other, or both?

Grae

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”