Cyberpapacy Sourcebook!!

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 4901
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Cyberpapacy Sourcebook!!

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:19 pm

Yoric wrote:Also, I should add that I really like what I'm reading so far.

It's 1984 through Black Mirror, with a little Gattacca (I'm counting the Numberless here).


Numberless aren't actually a thing. We edited that part out.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 4901
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Cyberpapacy Sourcebook!!

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:20 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:Am I missing something? I cant find Skill Chips or Spirit Chips anywhere?


Chipware was a stretch goal. No room. We would have needed to cut two whole pages somewhere, and there just wasn't anywhere to cut two whole pages (and it can't just be one in one chapter, and another in another chapter).
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

User avatar
Yoric
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:31 am
Location: The Commune, Free Paris, Cyberpapacy
Contact:

Re: Cyberpapacy Sourcebook!!

Postby Yoric » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:31 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Yoric wrote:Also, I should add that I really like what I'm reading so far.

It's 1984 through Black Mirror, with a little Gattacca (I'm counting the Numberless here).


Numberless aren't actually a thing. We edited that part out.


Too late, I read it in the other thread, you can't make me forget it :)

Er... actually, this is the Cyberpapacy, so you probably can. Nevermind!

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 4901
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Cyberpapacy Sourcebook!!

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:32 pm

Yoric wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:
Yoric wrote:Also, I should add that I really like what I'm reading so far.

It's 1984 through Black Mirror, with a little Gattacca (I'm counting the Numberless here).


Numberless aren't actually a thing. We edited that part out.


Too late, I read it in the other thread, you can't make me forget it :)

Er... actually, this is the Cyberpapacy, so you probably can. Nevermind!


I literally LOLed. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Wakshani
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Re: Cyberpapacy Sourcebook!!

Postby Wakshani » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:29 pm

Nuts. Lost the post I wanted to reply to.

This one's a bit odd, but a link to a video that always puts me in happycry mode, where a guy named Matt is travelling the world and records himself dancing in places he goes to. It started with him just doing this stupid little dance so he'd have something to go, "That's me!" on camera, instead of just the street or whatever. It caught on, and he did more of them, with later versions having him asking people to join him (I'll be in City X on Day Y and film at Hour Z. If you want to join in, be there!) and it's just marvelous to watch people all over the world all share in a moment.

But this video has a special addition. There's an underground dance club in Syria, which at the time had outlawed a bunch of things, including dance. You could be put to death for dancing (and people were!) which is why the people in those shots have their faces blurred out, to protect their identity. So when you see a note about how there are underground groups in the Cyberpapacy that keep music and dance alive? This is one of the big influences of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwe-pA6TaZk

(Dancing is frequently forbidden in many a repressive area, under the belief that it leads to madness or devil worship.)

User avatar
Yoric
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:31 am
Location: The Commune, Free Paris, Cyberpapacy
Contact:

Re: Cyberpapacy Sourcebook!!

Postby Yoric » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:34 pm

Wakshani wrote:But this video has a special addition. There's an underground dance club in Syria, which at the time had outlawed a bunch of things, including dance. You could be put to death for dancing (and people were!) which is why the people in those shots have their faces blurred out, to protect their identity. So when you see a note about how there are underground groups in the Cyberpapacy that keep music and dance alive? This is one of the big influences of that.


Nice!

Wakshani
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Re: Cyberpapacy Sourcebook!!

Postby Wakshani » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:08 am

Yoric wrote:
Wakshani wrote:But this video has a special addition. There's an underground dance club in Syria, which at the time had outlawed a bunch of things, including dance. You could be put to death for dancing (and people were!) which is why the people in those shots have their faces blurred out, to protect their identity. So when you see a note about how there are underground groups in the Cyberpapacy that keep music and dance alive? This is one of the big influences of that.


Nice!


Yeah, I have a whole suite of his videos for when I need some feel-good cries, topped off with some Soul Pancake stuff to restore some love of humanity. There's also Janelle Monae's "Tightrope" which goes into some history of "Dancing is evil!" and introduces her original James Brown-like act to the world. She's an INSANELY talented artist and I've told many, many people that if you can't watch her "Many moons" video and come out of there with at least three new CYberpunk characters, you ain't even trying. (Bonus! She breaks out the classic "Plague doctor" masks in that one, which crosses over with the poor medical knowledge of the Cyberpapacy.)

Again, later, I'll have a whole selection of recommended media, from videos to movies to books, to get a good feel for the place. It's a *super* interesting blend of styles.

User avatar
pkitty
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:09 pm

Re: Cyberpapacy Sourcebook!!

Postby pkitty » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:41 am

Am I right in thinking the attitude of the general Core Earth populace toward the Cyberpapacy has gone from "we don't all agree on whether we can trust them" in the core book to "they are evil invaders and we must fortify against them!" in this sourcebook? I'm not sure if that's just an artifact of stretching the timeline out to a year, or if it's an intentional shift intended to apply from Day One onward.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

User avatar
Yoric
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:31 am
Location: The Commune, Free Paris, Cyberpapacy
Contact:

Re: Cyberpapacy Sourcebook!!

Postby Yoric » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:09 am

I agree. It also seems to have been retconned back to having happened quite early (see the day 51 attack by Germany). Makes me a bit sad, because I found the maybe stance much more interesting in terms of plot.

Zackzenobi
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Cyberpapacy Sourcebook!!

Postby Zackzenobi » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:13 pm

Am I reading this right? You used to use your Mind and Perception in place of Dex and Str in the Godnet. Is this not the case anymore? Do Deckers with high Mind retain any adventure in the Godnet?


Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests