The Consequence of falling Spirit Axioms

graethynne

The Consequence of falling Spirit Axioms

Postby graethynne » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:19 pm

So we know* that in the past the Spirtual Axioms of Aysle (currently 18) and the Cyberpapacy (currently 16) were higher. So before Uthorian the gods of Aysle probably had a heaven to chill out in. And before the Cyberpapacy had a sufficient tech axiom to support Hell as a construct in the Godnet (at at least before there was a Godnet), presumably Hell as a divine location must have been a thing because the demons needed someplace to be summoned from into the physical world. But as the tech rose and spirit fell they were migrated to the Godnet when not in the flesh. I don't actually have a question here, I am just intrigued by the dynamism there. Very cool.

Grae

*unless I am mis-remembering....there is a lot going on in this game :-)

Atama

Re: The Consequence of falling Spirit Axioms

Postby Atama » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Yet the Living Land with its very high Spirit axiom lacks an afterlife...
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:33 pm

The implication is that Core Earth used to have higher Spirit and Magical axioms as well.

Reality isn't fixed, which is, to me, a *very* interesting thing.

JohnBiles

Postby JohnBiles » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:44 am

My own take on the Spirit Axiom is that it determines the ability of Mortals to use divine power and interact with divine things. The gods of Shinto are real in both Pan-Pacifica and Core Earth, but they and mortals can interact a little bit more. In Core Earth (Spirit 10), you can believe in Angels and even get enigmatic messages and holy power from them, but they can't come eat with you. In the Nile (Spirit 18), the Angels may come around and have dinner with you.

So when Earth's spirit axis shrunk, the gods didn't evaporate, but they were cut off more from mortal men.

Yoric

Postby Yoric » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:41 am

JohnBiles wrote:So when Earth's spirit axis shrunk, the gods didn't evaporate, but they were cut off more from mortal men.

That's a very interesting interpretation. How would this translate to Social and Tech axioms?

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:59 pm

Yoric wrote:
JohnBiles wrote:So when Earth's spirit axis shrunk, the gods didn't evaporate, but they were cut off more from mortal men.

That's a very interesting interpretation. How would this translate to Social and Tech axioms?

Societal repression for the first, like when great civilizations crumble from within and return to barbarism and warlordism, the Bonfire of the Vanities, or any general pushback against art, music, or dancing. (Or how, during the Jim Crow era in the US, black people went from holding office and having voting rights in the South to being reduced to uneducated sharecroppers with virtually no rights.)

Tech is your basic fall into the Dark Ages … again, the easy one is societal collapse and barbarism, but any situation where knowledge is banned and books get burned is one headed for a faltering Tech axiom (or, at the least, one that's not going up for a while) … in these areas, tech that was on the edge gets spotty (Boy, sure hard to find spare parts these days...) until they finally break down and, try as you might, you just can't fix it. (Been at this for five days straight, Mike. I don't think she's coming back from this one.)

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”