Preview #2 - Reality

TorgHacker

Preview #2 - Reality

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:24 am

This thread is for discussing the Torg Eternity preview on the changes to the reality rules.

http://www.ulisses-us.com/torg-eternity ... 2-reality/
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Sirtoast

Re: Preview #2 - Reality

Postby Sirtoast » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:30 pm

Looking forward to reading more about contradictions, disconnects and transform results. Thanks for posting these previews, can't wait to see the finished products.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:41 pm

A few questions for now:

Is reconnection still governed by reality skill? And is that still attribute-based?

Is there an exception to the "no Possibilities while disconnected rule" for reconnecting?

Are DNs for reconnecting based on the differences in the cosm (as per OTorg), the "degree of offense" the tool presents, what type of zone you disconnect in, or something else?

More later.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:13 pm

Sirtoast wrote:Looking forward to reading more about contradictions, disconnects and transform results. Thanks for posting these previews, can't wait to see the finished products.

If you've got questions, feel free to ask. I had to cover a bunch of things so couldn't explain everything. If I can elaborate, I will.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:14 pm

Rabbitball wrote:A few questions for now:

Is reconnection still governed by reality skill? And is that still attribute-based?

Yes and yes. It's still based on Spirit.

Is there an exception to the "no Possibilities while disconnected rule" for reconnecting?

No. Cards can still be used, including those that act like Possibilities.

Are DNs for reconnecting based on the differences in the cosm (as per OTorg), the "degree of offense" the tool presents, what type of zone you disconnect in, or something else?

More later.

Type of zone only. No cosm differences, not based on the axiom level of the tool.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:26 pm

Looks like some more good news!

I like that they've rounded down the axiom numbers to 30. I'm still not convinced it needs to be quite that granular (wouldn't 20 do?) but it's better than the weird number 33.

World Laws being limited helps, too. It looks like they've made it so World Laws are environmental, not part of what a character can take with them. That's kind of how I've always run things anyway; nice to see it become official.

The change to long-range contradictions is really nice. Really nice.

Changing passive contradictions to a simple penalty also makes things way easier. Nobody was every really sure how to handle that.
Passive tools not working once you're disconnected is also a good change. Their explanation -- that it sort of "phases" in and out of reality (reminds me a bit of quantum theory) -- works for me.

I also like how they've made transformation avoidable by spending all your possibilities. But that leads me to a couple of other questions:
• Is there a limit to how many possibilities people can have? In the original game, you could store an infinite amount of possibilities as long as you like. I had players with huge possibility banks in the 30s and 40s. Obviously this rule would hurt them more than anyone else.
• If you do wipe out your possibility reserves to avoid transforming, and then it happens again before you've had a chance to earn more possibilities, are you out of luck?

Zones look like they might be better explained, but I've always had a shaky relationship with them. I've never liked the idea of zones that are a 50/50 blend of realities, in part because I always had a hard time picturing how they'd look, and that extra work made me not want to bother. I always ran every zone as if it were a dominant zone that looked just like a pure zone. Almost everything there was the local reality, with maybe the occasional untransformed leftover, but visitors could still cause contradictions.

Anyway, I'm stoked to see these changes!

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:15 pm

hawaiianbrian wrote:Looks like some more good news!

I like that they've rounded down the axiom numbers to 30. I'm still not convinced it needs to be quite that granular (wouldn't 20 do?) but it's better than the weird number 33.

It'd be tough for the Technology axiom I think, and I wanted them to have the same amount of levels.

To me it was more important that each level had something in it.

Also, having it more granular reduces the amount of 'same axiom level' issues, which we avoided for the most part. I think two cosms have a Social Axiom of 18 off the top of my head.

Changing passive contradictions to a simple penalty also makes things way easier. Nobody was every really sure how to handle that.
Passive tools not working once you're disconnected is also a good change. Their explanation -- that it sort of "phases" in and out of reality (reminds me a bit of quantum theory) -- works for me.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but that's what's happening in the art piece accompanying the preview.

I also like how they've made transformation avoidable by spending all your possibilities. But that leads me to a couple of other questions:
• Is there a limit to how many possibilities people can have? In the original game, you could store an infinite amount of possibilities as long as you like. I had players with huge possibility banks in the 30s and 40s. Obviously this rule would hurt them more than anyone else.
• If you do wipe out your possibility reserves to avoid transforming, and then it happens again before you've had a chance to earn more possibilities, are you out of luck?

No, but here's the scoop with regards to that. Generally, Storm Knights start with 3 Possibilities. At the start of each Act you refresh to 3. So if you have 3 or more, you don't gain additional ones. There are ways to gain more within the adventure, and I'll be talking about that later. But I expect Storm Knights running around with 10+ Possibilities would be rare. :-)

As for being without Possibilities and getting transformed...hmmmmm..yes, that is a problem isn't it? ;)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

HibikiHaniu

Postby HibikiHaniu » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:36 pm

I think the coordination around Reality in TORG Eternity is too funny and interested.
I want more information continuously.

BTW, I have some questions about Reality.

1. Are there Reality Bubble and Talisman rule yet?
2. Can PC avoid mishap by any card or other game element?

Please let me know if you can.

HibikiHaniu

Postby HibikiHaniu » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:13 pm

One more question.

I know losing all possibilities when transforming in the original Torg.
How about Eternity? When I take a mishap on reconnecting roll, will I lose all possibilities whether i want to keep my reality or get new reality?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:57 pm

HibikiHaniu wrote:I think the coordination around Reality in TORG Eternity is too funny and interested.
I want more information continuously.

BTW, I have some questions about Reality.

1. Are there Reality Bubble and Talisman rule yet?
2. Can PC avoid mishap by any card or other game element?

Please let me know if you can.

1. Reality bubbles aren't in the game anymore. We went back and forth on it but decided that the main reason for reality bubbles (to be able to create contradictions in a Pure Zone) didn't exist, we didn't really need them anymore. Talismans are still in the game. So are hardpoints.

2. Yes, in some circumstances, for some kinds of Mishaps.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”