winstoninabox wrote:The choices you've made are controversial for a reason.
1. No PPs can be spent when discoed... that's a fundamental change which has metaphysical implications that are not good. I hope that this is a decision that is still reversible.
No, that's the rule, and yes it is a significant change. However, we wanted disconnection to have teeth.
2. Tech "phases in and out" when discoed. We're back to the days of cyborgs dying and sailboats not sailing. It's like the last 2 decades of discussions never happened. I hope that this is a decision that is still "phasing in and out".
No, that's how it is. We had a lot of discussion about what to do about passive items. This was the one we as a group chose to go with. We did not ignore 2 decades of discussion on this. I looked up the past discussions, and brought up some of the options, and we ended up going with this one.
3. Psionics is tied to Social. So no low-tech / high psionics cosms? Really? Why is psi a Social construction but not magic? Not tech? I hope that this is a decision that's still reversible.
No, that's how it's going to be. And sure, theoretically you could have a low Tech, high Social cosm with psionics. There aren't any right now but theoretically there could be.
There are two main reasons that we went with Social.
1. We wanted to connect the Social Axiom mechanically with the game, just like spells, miracles, and tech. We didn't like the single social/tech requirement because we thought that more powerful effects should come with higher axiom requirements.
2. Social is all about the interconnectedness of living beings, specifically transforming thought into something useful. Psionics is a natural extension of that idea.
The controversy is not for the sake of being contrary. The choices made here seem to be very bad for the essence of Torg - characters from any cosm being able to adventure in any kind of cosm imaginable.
To be clear, the previews are covering things that we've decided on, and locked in. There's still some playtesting, but it's on the details now.