Google map of Core Earth

Gargoyle

Re: Google map of Core Earth

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:52 pm

Oops. I meant 1.2, that's the most recent version. Corrected that other post.

I'm keeping this thread and the Google plus community up to date when I create new versions. I have a working copy called 1.3 that I use, but I don't currently have any plans to change it and publish it unless someone spots errors, so there really isn't a 1.3. Incidentally there was a small error in 1.2 that I fixed shortly after sharing it, so if you copied it right after I shared, the Blasted Land and the two Tharkold mixed zones had the wrong Spirit axiom listed in the description for some reason. Not a big enough problem to warrant a new version, so I just made the correction.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Kanaris

Postby Kanaris » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:06 am

Taking a close look at the map of north-western France it looks like there is a small promentory in Armorica jutting out into the mixed zone where a small village of indomitable Gauls is holding out against the might of the Rome Avignon ... (and legendary Ys a short distance to the south west in Core Earth Brittany).

"O tempora, o mores!" - Jean Malraux I

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:16 pm

Happy to say that this is now obsolete!

Now you can get a map directly from the designers, if you haven't noticed already, as well as the new wiki, etc.

http://www.ulisses-us.com/infiniverse/
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Doc Gordon

Postby Doc Gordon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:39 pm

I have a question for those willing to answer, because I'm confused about something... when drawing a perfect triangle to represent a zone, does the 300 mile diameter of the zone intersect with the sides of the triangle, or the corners of the triangle? Or, is it supposed to be 300 miles from corner to corner on the triangle?

Mike McCall

Postby Mike McCall » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:59 am

Doc Gordon wrote:I have a question for those willing to answer, because I'm confused about something... when drawing a perfect triangle to represent a zone, does the 300 mile diameter of the zone intersect with the sides of the triangle, or the corners of the triangle? Or, is it supposed to be 300 miles from corner to corner on the triangle?

It's corner to corner. The limit isn't on the area of the triangle, it's on the distance that any two stelae can be apart and still connect.

Doc Gordon

Postby Doc Gordon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:08 am

If that's true, shouldn't our friends at Ulisses re-visit the map and re-work it? Has anyone other than me actually measured these zones? Is it really that important? I'm honestly NOT trying to criticize, as I love what I'm seeing, but I've been measuring -and, I'm a Drafter by degree if not trade, so measurements are important to me- and a LOT of these are way too large.

Mike McCall

Postby Mike McCall » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:32 am

Where are you seeing that? Using the measure tool on My Maps, I checked a random sampling, and most are in the vicinity of 490 km, or just over 300 miles. Now given that the book says "roughly 500 kilometers on a side", I don't see where there's a problem.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:01 pm

I'm curious for examples too. I was really careful about not making them larger than 500 km, using Google Maps' distance tool.

I don't dispute one or two mistakes may have been made (just because I can't guarantee I got everything perfect) but I was pretty darn careful.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:28 pm

And this maybe isn't the result of the Mercator effect, is it?

I showed my friends the zone in Canada, and we remarked on how large it was, but we remembered the Mercator effect. So deceptive.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:19 pm

Also how curved it makes those lines. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”