Preview #8 - Pan-Pacifica and Orrorsh

TorgHacker

Preview #8 - Pan-Pacifica and Orrorsh

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:06 am

Here you can discuss and ask questions about Pan-Pacifica and Orrorsh!

http://www.ulisses-us.com/torg-eternity ... d-orrorsh/
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ryric

Re: Preview #8 - Pan-Pacifica and Orrorsh

Postby ryric » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:32 am

Interesting, these are certainly bigger changes than we've seen elsewhere. My first reaction to moving Orrorsh was that I liked it being in Indonesia, but India makes sense as well as a location. Is Orrorsh still the first invading reality in the new setting? I recall in oTorg it predated the Living Land by about a week, but Americans didn't notice because who cares about a communications blackout in the south Pacific? India going off the grid for a week would definitely receive worldwide attention.

I see Kanawa is still up to their old tricks of creating the disease and selling the cure. Will martial arts require certain axiom levels, or will they simply be contradictions everywhere else?

You've mentioned cosm cards several times, but have we seen how they work? I'm imagining extra destiny deck cards that shuffle in depending on where the PCs are at the moment.

Edit: One other thing that occurs to me...moving Orrorsh this ways makes it much more up front and center. Before it was a terrible place occupying some (relatively) sparsely populated islands, like an old rock you could look under if you wanted. Now it actively threatens hundreds of millions of people in a major world power on a constant basis, more like knowing you live next door to a serial killer.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:15 am

ryric wrote:Interesting, these are certainly bigger changes than we've seen elsewhere. My first reaction to moving Orrorsh was that I liked it being in Indonesia, but India makes sense as well as a location. Is Orrorsh still the first invading reality in the new setting? I recall in oTorg it predated the Living Land by about a week, but Americans didn't notice because who cares about a communications blackout in the south Pacific? India going off the grid for a week would definitely receive worldwide attention.

In Original Torg, Orrorsh arrived the day/night before the Living Land. In the new timeline Orrorsh isn't the first. I don't want to say more than that at this point.

I see Kanawa is still up to their old tricks of creating the disease and selling the cure. Will martial arts require certain axiom levels, or will they simply be contradictions everywhere else?

Exact details on martial arts as a special ability are being left for the Pan-Pacifica sourcebook.

You've mentioned cosm cards several times, but have we seen how they work? I'm imagining extra destiny deck cards that shuffle in depending on where the PCs are at the moment.

We've been waiting for the card design to get finalized before previewing the decks.

Edit: One other thing that occurs to me...moving Orrorsh this ways makes it much more up front and center. Before it was a terrible place occupying some (relatively) sparsely populated islands, like an old rock you could look under if you wanted. Now it actively threatens hundreds of millions of people in a major world power on a constant basis, more like knowing you live next door to a serial killer.

Uh huh. :-)

Though... <putting on my Well, Actually Hat>

Indonesia has a population roughly that of the United States. Those islands aren't sparsely populated. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

dev/null

Postby dev/null » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:18 am

TorgHacker wrote:Yeah, I'll end the speculation.

KOed is a condition now, not a damage type. :-)

Law of Tenacity wrote:Hard-boiled reality-rated characters can avoid being KOed by taking a Wound, which instantly removes all their Shock.

So, is KO a condition that arises from Shock, or is it a condition that arises from the results of an action? Additional clarity that is probably part of your preview of combat next week.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:37 am

Freebie: It's a condition, not a damage type.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:04 am

How does the Magic Axiom of 16 affect the Occult? When it was described in the old game, the Occult was defined as a crude "wish parser" and Orrorsh had a split Magic axiom of 15/20(for Occult effects) to reflect that situation. I really liked the powerful but limited effect of the Occult in the previous game. I also really liked the way that "normal" magic was a contradiction in Orrorsh. Orrorsh felt like the flip side of the Nile Empire. Weird Magic instead of Weird Science. Also, the whole way that Occult events were constructed helped me turn my players into Co-GMs in the sense that they helped create hoops through which their characters would have to jump.

Dan Davenport

Postby Dan Davenport » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:26 am

Tech-based hopping vampires. Interesting.

And Pan-Pacifica has mutants, too?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:02 pm

johntfs wrote:How does the Magic Axiom of 16 affect the Occult? When it was described in the old game, the Occult was defined as a crude "wish parser" and Orrorsh had a split Magic axiom of 15/20(for Occult effects) to reflect that situation. I really liked the powerful but limited effect of the Occult in the previous game. I also really liked the way that "normal" magic was a contradiction in Orrorsh. Orrorsh felt like the flip side of the Nile Empire. Weird Magic instead of Weird Science. Also, the whole way that Occult events were constructed helped me turn my players into Co-GMs in the sense that they helped create hoops through which their characters would have to jump.

The exact nature that the Occult will take is going to be left for the source book. I will say that I personally liked how it worked as far as flavor goes, but I'm not the only one on the design team. :-)

But there definitely isn't a split Magic Axiom. I suspect if there is something akin to the old Occult rules, it will be connected to the Law of Eternal Corruption, much like pulp powers are connected to the Law of Heroism.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:03 pm

Dan Davenport wrote:Tech-based hopping vampires. Interesting.

Yeah, that's how psionics manifests.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Dan Davenport

Postby Dan Davenport » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:07 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
Dan Davenport wrote:Tech-based hopping vampires. Interesting.

Yeah, that's how psionics manifests.

Akira!

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”