Preview #8 - Pan-Pacifica and Orrorsh

TiaMaster

Re: Preview #8 - Pan-Pacifica and Orrorsh

Postby TiaMaster » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:20 pm

Ange Gardien wrote:Me too. Starting PCs will distribute 42 points, and with a second crisis they'll get +1 to each attribute quickly when they'll discover that they are a bit more than basic storm knights but the doubles in another reality of their previous Pcs, themselves masters of a pocket dimension (they'll have three special perks too, power ones, but it's an idea coming from my last campaign).
It won't change the pace of difficulties, but I do like mu player characters above average and I can toss more stuff in their faces...

I won't allow more than one 5 at the beginning.
But 8 is already above average in torg E.
It's just that my starting PCs in old Torg had an average of 10 + instead of 9+.
That's just the way I like GMing...

Doesn't that make things too easy for them? Because if you are going to throw more things/more powerful things at them, then you may as well have stuck with the original numbers.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:33 pm

To some extent I think it's like Pinball. Yes, when there are just three extra zeroes on the end of every possible point, they kind of don't mean anything. There's a really good case for arguing that every tap of those bumper wheels is really one point, and not "1,000". Especially on the machines that have those last three zeroes just printed on the display.

But on the other hand... it's still kind exciting to get, like, two hundred million points!!

...For me, though, I do tend to find that game designers nowadays tend to do a pretty good job balancing things out, and it's easier to keep at least most things as they were written, rather than bumping things up and then having to rebalance everything. Sometimes, especially in a game with as many pieces as Torg, it's hard to see how they relate until you really sit down and play a lot.

They can't really copyright a real word like Positron, though, can they? And this concept is awfully different from that character. I think we're good. But we could add that extra S just to be safe.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:25 pm

utsukushi wrote:
They can't really copyright a real word like Positron, though, can they? And this concept is awfully different from that character. I think we're good. But we could add that extra S just to be safe.

IP law is complicated and weird.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:26 pm

Possitron is fine, and is (should be) pronounced differently.

Hobbes

Postby Hobbes » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:59 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
utsukushi wrote:

Yep. "Could it be confused with whatever it is you've got copywrited?" Flying Armored Super Hero is enough of a Trope, no biggie. But naming it similar to Iron Man or Positron or War Machine or Patriot or Box ... Unless of course it's a Parody. Then it's fine :mrgreen:

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:17 pm

Even then you have to be careful. There are 'parodies' that actually aren't as far as fair use is applied.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

dev/null

Postby dev/null » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:48 pm

TorgHacker wrote:
utsukushi wrote:

While complicated, you shouldn't be able to copyright something that already exists elsewhere, simply as a word. While the City of Heroes may have an entry in their wiki, it is different than the one in the One True Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positron and in the same vein: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyborg ... Does the cyberware of the cyberpapacy not make cyborgs?

Hobbes

Postby Hobbes » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:03 pm

dev/null wrote:While complicated, you shouldn't be able to copyright something that already exists elsewhere, simply as a word. While the City of Heroes may have an entry in their wiki, it is different than the one in the One True Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positron and in the same vein: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyborg ... Does the cyberware of the cyberpapacy not make cyborgs?

No idea, but given the lawsuit Marvel slapped NCSoft with back in the day, I'm pretty sure NCSoft knows someone who could answer that question ;)

And I'm pretty sure the Pan-Pacifica thread is the only thread where IP law would be appropriate....

Staffan

Postby Staffan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:18 pm

Insert mandatory "I'm not a lawyer" disclaimer here.

As I understand things, no, you can't copyright a simple word like "positron". However, you can trademark it. Such a trademark should be limited to certain contexts - for example, the band Queen likely has a trademark on the word "Queen" as it relates to being a band, but that doesn't mean furniture manufacturers can't make queen-size beds, or that Amidala can't be a queen in Star Wars, and so on. But exactly how limited is something for lawyers and courts to work out - and doing that takes money, which unfortunately means that people (or generally corporations) with bigger pockets can use IP law to intimidate people into giving in.

utsukushi

Postby utsukushi » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:42 am

Well, blast. There goes my plan to build an actual Possitron in my basement - it's definitely not worth the legal risk. <grumble>

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”