Adventures

Stormchild

Re: Adventures

Postby Stormchild » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:19 pm

This one is a bit off the thread but I wanted to share it.

I once had an idea while watching Hustle (the BBC TV serial, if you don't know it Leverage or Ocean's Eleven works just the same). The serial always plays with flashbacks were the real hustle is explained. I thought this could be done with flashback cards or flashback points. The easy way to pull this off would be with points but it could be more fun with different cards that do different things. Each player gets 3 points he can use to play out a flashback. When spending a point, the player gets into a flashback thing were he can try to play what he did prior to the actual scene in order to prepare the hustle. This could also lead to players contradicting or helping each other with flashbacks.

So, the players prepare a hustle and realize it doesn't work the way they prepared it. One player uses one hustle point to go back to a previous scene and tell "in that scene I swapped the briefcase with a similar looking one filled with fake money". GM takes the hustle point and says "OK, let's play the flashback and see if it works".

PS: wow, what a typo. I wanted to write: the player gets into a flashback scene and wrote flashback thing. My typing is getting close to what siri does.
Last edited by Stormchild on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:29 pm

Just remembered: Subconciously I am normally doing a little NLP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming when showing the players at cons the template list. They are typically overwhelmed by the sheer number of templates and don't know what to chose. So, I ask them, what kind of sterotype the character should be - a fighter, a tech, a magician etc. Typically there is one player who is able to decide quickly while the others are decision-paralyzed. So, I tell the players which one of the templates they have shown interest in would suit best with the already chosen one. Usually, the players are happy with that nudging.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:47 pm

Just thought of another way of looking at Torg campaigns and adventures, or at least one way I've looked at them. This is how I've always sort of thought about it in the back of my mind, but this thread drudged it from my subconscious.

The idea is in reference to a mini-series with a large cast of characters that start out in different places not knowing each other but a massive worldwide event brings them together. Shows like V or The Stand come to mind, but also more recent "binge series" like the Walking Dead and movies like Independence Day. The characters have a wide range of backgrounds/jobs/social classes/ages/etc and all get stuck together for whatever reason to fight the big bad. But of course, they first have to make a trip to get together and/or struggle through individual trials first before their unique talents mesh together to make them successful. Sometimes they have a patron to help them, sometimes they are on their own and it's just fortune. The Torg novels are a bit like this, which probably set the stage for my thinking.

It's not ideal for an RPG when you have all the players ready to play at once for reasons discussed above and obvious problems, but I think it's been driving at me and thus my obsession of late with Day -1 and Day 0 stuff. Anyway, I didn't have much of a point there, just got to thinking about those plot structures and how it could be great, but could also just suck if you didn't get the Storm Knights together quickly enough.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:00 pm

Stormchild wrote:This one is a bit off the thread but I wanted to share it.

I once had an idea while watching Hustle (the BBC TV serial, if you don't know it Leverage or Ocean's Eleven works just the same). The serial always plays with flashbacks were the real hustle is explained. I thought this could be done with flashback cards or flashback points. The easy way to pull this off would be with points but it could be more fun with different cards that do different things. Each player gets 3 points he can use to play out a flashback. When spending a point, the player gets into a flashback thing were he can try to play what he did prior to the actual scene in order to prepare the hustle. This could also lead to players contradicting or helping each other with flashbacks.

So, the players prepare a hustle and realize it doesn't work the way they prepared it. One player uses one hustle point to go back to a previous scene and tell "in that scene I swapped the briefcase with a similar looking one filled with fake money". GM takes the hustle point and says "OK, let's play the flashback and see if it works".

I think this would be a good card; not enamored with a new point system, but a card that lets the player change or add something to an earlier scene sounds very good. ("I actually swapped the orb with the one that had the toy troll in it", "I hypnotized Hardison into thinking he could play the violin just like when he was young.") More complex stuff like "We were actually dressed up like the SWAT team that went into the Bellagio's vault" might be too much, but I could see allowing it if there was only one Flashback card in the deck. Fun stuff.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:59 pm

Gargoyle wrote:Just thought of another way of looking at Torg campaigns and adventures, or at least one way I've looked at them...

Once upon a time when I had 3 regular groups each playing at least every second week and all the cons I could get to, I tried this. The world where these groups played was one world in the multiverse and everything one group did had impact on the others. The group compositions often mixed with each other when some players played their characters in another group. It became increasingly difficult to track the events. But then, life happened. Jobs, children, moving away, now I have no regular group at all.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:40 pm

Stormchild wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:Just thought of another way of looking at Torg campaigns and adventures, or at least one way I've looked at them...

Once upon a time when I had 3 regular groups each playing at least every second week and all the cons I could get to, I tried this. The world where these groups played was one world in the multiverse and everything one group did had impact on the others. The group compositions often mixed with each other when some players played their characters in another group. It became increasingly difficult to track the events. But then, life happened. Jobs, children, moving away, now I have no regular group at all.

Yeah, I don't really have a group now either. Working on the road and working weekends for 10 years ruined that for me, but I've had some fun on Fantasy Grounds running D&D for some friends. Planning to get a new local group going soon, but I'm really tired of D&D right now and though I also like FFG's Star Wars games (Edge of the Empire especially) not really in the mood for running games other than Torg: Eternity at this point. lol
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:45 pm

I hear you. My regular D&D/13th Age Friday night game, which went for 13 years just finished the collapse stage. I'm probably going to be doing some online gaming at some point.

*cough* :lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:06 pm

I've never done online rugs. Does it require a microphone?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Most of the time. Unless it's play-by-post.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

blackwind1kaze

Postby blackwind1kaze » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:40 am

Yeah you have the following two options playing online:

1) Live Online
- Uses Microphones, maybe a webcam as well (depending on how the group feels on it).
- May be recorded and posted online (again another thing the group has to be fine with).
- One issue is the time zone differences and thus sometimes leaves it hard to find a group to play on a set time for 4+ hours.
- the only other big issue is you might find some really weird players.

2) Play By Post
- Forum based gameplay (if using Giant in the Playground, forum dice mechanics are provided, otherwise the GM needs to figure out something) {Note: using GitP as an example, not advertising it}
- A main Pro to this is usually it is fairly easy to find GM/Players for games.
- A main Con to this however is the fact that posts can be delayed if not outright not done. This can lead to players/GMs losing interest and give up on a campaign as it doesn't feel fast enough to how they'd like it to go.
I don't always GM, but when i do, I go out in style :ugeek:

Return to “Setting Discussion (TORG)”