Blowing Up Hong Kong

Gargoyle

Blowing Up Hong Kong

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:35 am

After a heist to rescue the detective's sister Kate from Kanawa Ryuchi's hostile takeover attempt, reports of explosions all over Hong Kong prompt the Storm Knights to race toward the Wong Tai Sin temple. Sure enough, a bomb has been planted and an old ally, Francois De Vere shows up to help them defuse it. Of course they have to fend off the contract ninjas guarding the charges, which they do. But Kate's assistant disappears during the fight.

And another report comes in. A hard point was being moved out of the city, causing Pan-Pacifica to intrude, and so commandeering a helicopter from a local airfield, they pursue an armored van. Jackie Lee, a cabbie that gave them a ride to the temple, transcended the invasion and stopped the van, and they defeated the Kanawa security and armored gospog guards, then moved the muk jong of Kong Hoi back to its home, restoring Core Earth reality to Hong Kong. Core Earth has been weakened there, but new Storm Knights have transcended the invasion attempt and stand ready.

And just in time. A lone propeller driven bomber dropped a single bomb over the city before F-16's shot it down. And now reports of high technology failing, mole machines emerging from underground, and zeppelin carriers launching prop fighters are all coming in. The Nile Empire is invading Hong Kong.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

fougerec

Re: Blowing Up Hong Kong

Postby fougerec » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:16 am

My PCs are about to head to Pan-Pacifica. I'm totally going to steal elements of this as background news while they're there.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:44 am

Cool. Another subplot I left out...they saw an assassin, Kitsune from the Delphi Mission adventure, enter the executive lounge where Ryuchi was during the takeover, shrugged and went on with their mission, and later got reports of his assassination, and they were blamed for it initially. The video feed they hacked and sent to the DC cleared their names though, and Ryuchi was televised in Tokyo and lamented that "a trusted bodyguard decoy was slain." So they are a bit suspicious of all that of course, and the media is starting to report that Kanawa is responsible for the jiangshi outbreaks, which he vehemently denies. Meanwhile Reiko is participating in fashion shows in Hong Kong.

I have taken the tactic of flooding them with info, and it's working...things come back to haunt them, and they're so overwhelmed with setting information that they miss clues and make a few mistakes, which I what I want. They are really digging it though, got a compliment that "This setting is so....dense..."

One other thing is lots of NPCs. Francois they didn't trust because he was killed by the Tombstorm and has that weird mark on this face from it, and so they didn't pay any attention to Kate's assistant, Wong Ai, who set up the ninja ambush and now has vanished. They have too many NPCs to keep track of and it's made the few "inevitable betrayals" more fair and compelling.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:15 pm

fougerec wrote:My PCs are about to head to Pan-Pacifica. I'm totally going to steal elements of this as background news while they're there.

Also, let me know what sort of shenanigans they pull off. I'll use it as background when they go to PP, which will probably be very soon.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:27 am

I think I may have Kanawa use their social media knowledge (and Social Axiom) to put the blame for Storm Knight activities like you present on The Sons of the Wind as a domestic terrorist organization.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:12 am

fougerec wrote:I think I may have Kanawa use their social media knowledge (and Social Axiom) to put the blame for Storm Knight activities like you present on The Sons of the Wind as a domestic terrorist organization.

It's a good angle. I think in the future though I'm going to do what Matt Richie did in an online game once, and just have them step in and take the credit for Storm Knight victories. The end of the adventure at a secret Kanawa lab had them showing up with overwhelming numbers with the media and posing for pics shaking our hands and whispered threats back and forth. So they spun it as a combined operation with Kanawa allied with the Delphi Council. I picture an annoyed Quinn Sebastian. I like this because it contrasts what I've done in the Cyberpapacy, with the Church claiming that Storm Knights and the DC are allied with demons and not to be trusted...not a hard sell because of cyberwitches accidentally summoning them. They managed to turn that on its head and defeat a demon on a live holo-broadcast and win a major propaganda victory there, but now have a ravagon tracking them as a result. Fun stuff.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

fougerec

Postby fougerec » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:00 am

Gargoyle wrote:It's a good angle. I think in the future though I'm going to do what Matt Richie did in an online game once, and just have them step in and take the credit for Storm Knight victories.

Nice. I think if I play the Social Axiom enough then people should believe whatever the social media tells them is true and then if someone were to use that it could be a very powerful weapon. Things like fact checking etc. could even be Contradictory which would be an interesting angle.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:08 am

fougerec wrote:
Gargoyle wrote:It's a good angle. I think in the future though I'm going to do what Matt Richie did in an online game once, and just have them step in and take the credit for Storm Knight victories.

Nice. I think if I play the Social Axiom enough then people should believe whatever the social media tells them is true and then if someone were to use that it could be a very powerful weapon. Things like fact checking etc. could even be Contradictory which would be an interesting angle.

Some minor world laws regarding fact checking and fake news would be fascinating.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:08 pm

Gargoyle wrote:Some minor world laws regarding fact checking and fake news would be fascinating.

Possibly something along the lines of the richer an entity, the more its version of the truth is believed. Makes the Kanawa-owned media companies very valuable since it can keep the citizens in line with doctored stories.

The truth is out there, cranked out in basement printing presses, but fewer people will accept those.

I have enjoyed playing up the 1984 aspect. The PCs were being chased by Kanawa forces and intersected a festival parade complete with a walking dragon and everything. One of the Storm Knights opened fire on the Kanawa troops. He hit his targets perfectly, but that didn't stop the media from showing clips of him firing into a parade juxtaposition with shots of parade attendees who were wounded from the overall chaos (and maybe an errant Kanawa bullet). I hammered early on that their exploits in Pan Pacifica will not be appreciated by the public. They do have some glory results that have impressed some people. Those tales will spread.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:15 pm

Kuildeous wrote: I hammered early on that their exploits in Pan Pacifica will not be appreciated by the public. They do have some glory results that have impressed some people. Those tales will spread.

This is a great point, you can make them look bad in the presses non-stop, but when they play the Glory the truth should get out. I did this in this Cyberpapacy, but hadn't thought of it that way.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Return to “Game Stories In and Out of Character (TORG)”