Thinking of ditching Moment of Crisis in Day One

Kuildeous

Thinking of ditching Moment of Crisis in Day One

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:49 am

I'm thinking about doing away with the Moment of Crisis for the Day One adventures. While it makes really great narrative sense, I feel like this may be stifling the fun of the players. Is anyone else considering dumping that and just let the PCs start off reality-rated?

I ran the Tharkold scenario last night. Two of the four players transcended fairly early in the module. It wasn't until the other two got wounded toward the end that they had to transcend. Until they transcended, I could see them getting a little frustrated at how much their hands were tied. They couldn't play Hero or Drama cards (and even discarded them after the first scene), and they had little motivation to play cosm cards that granted Possibilities since it was all risk and no reward. I may ditch that narrative. Anyone else?

Though the disparity was hilarious in Tharkold. The only reality-rated PC played submission on an ord thrall. During a disagreement between that PC and another PC who was an ord, the NPC immediately took the dominant, reality-rated PC's side and pulled his gun on the clearly submissive, ord PC. He yelled at the PC fanatically about how he was going to listen to Master. The reactions of the players were great, and that was one of those moments that could only happen during a Day One adventure in Tharkold. So for that reason, I'm hesitant about removing that, but I don't know that I'd get anything similar in the other events I'll be running (Pan Pacifica, Orrorsh, Cyberpapacy, and Nile).
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Ayaron

Re: Thinking of ditching Moment of Crisis in Day One

Postby Ayaron » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:59 am

"The transformation into Storm Knight occurs once
the character puts herself at risk to help someone
else, or takes direct action to fight the Possibility
Raiders."

Curious how players were rolling dice and playing cards without it counting as taking direct action against the invasion. Are you perhaps being a little too harsh in setting the bar for transcendence a bit too high?

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:28 am

The Tharkold Day One specifically notes that the players have to go out of their way to help others or defend their people (or get wounded) to transcend.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:27 am

Then that would be the part I change and not ditch the moment of crisis.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:13 pm

Perhaps I was harsh in the transcendence as I applied the Tharkold instruction to everything. The book talks about stormers reaching that level through a moral choice. They choose to help others at cost to themselves, or they choose to exploit the situation and be one of the bad guys.

I had forgotten about that rule regarding taking direct action, though there are plenty of instances where they react to the raiders rather than take action against them. Living Land was mostly fleeing. I see Pan Pacifica doing the same thing. In fact, I recall someone saying that it's likely some characters will never transcend. Even Nile is a race for survival (I need to reread that).

I'll probably be doing Pan Pacifia next. In addition to players potentially missing out on Possibility cards and cosm cards, there is a chance that they will miss out on the…
► Show Spoiler

Well, they wouldn't miss out entirely, but it'd be all risk and no reward again.

I'll be more lenient on transcendence in the future. If they get it early enough, I may still just skip that process and let them get that experience early anyway. It also doesn't help that while the Tharkold PCs were Ords, they played a cosm card, and I remembered to award the first two PCs the extra Possibilities for that card. I forgot to give it to the others when they got wounded.

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Make it clear to your players the requirements to become Storm Knights and gain more powers. They will make those tough moral choices all the sooner

Devcon

Postby Devcon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Kuildeous wrote:
I'll probably be doing Pan Pacifia next. In addition to players potentially missing out on Possibility cards and cosm cards, there is a chance that they will miss out on the…
► Show Spoiler

Actually Cosm cards are dealt *immediately* when the Cosm changes, even if the characters haven't transcended.

► Show Spoiler

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:40 pm

Devcon wrote:
Kuildeous wrote:
► Show Spoiler

Actually Cosm cards are dealt *immediately* when the Cosm changes, even if the characters haven't transcended.

► Show Spoiler

Sorry, I may have been unclear in what I said. By cosm cards, I mean that when the dino attack happens or whatever, the PCs who have not transcended would gain no reward for it.

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:21 am

First adventure we p[layed it out and it was a lot of fun.

We're in Aysle now and we just short-handed it. "You knwo what happens."

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:17 pm

Kuildeous wrote:Sorry, I may have been unclear in what I said. By cosm cards, I mean that when the dino attack happens or whatever, the PCs who have not transcended would gain no reward for it.

But if they make it through a Dino Attack without transcending, do they really deserve the reward? :?: :shock:
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Return to “Game Stories In and Out of Character (TORG)”