Foggy Notions

Greymarch2000

Foggy Notions

Postby Greymarch2000 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:53 pm

So I had been running my group of players through Day One adventures over Roll20 the past little while, scheduling has naturally been a nightmare. My plan was to do all of Living Land and Aysle and then either do a few more Day Ones in realms the players were interested in or perhaps start making actual characters. Well I got half way through doing the Aysle Day One and over the week between sessions most of the players had gone ahead and started making their own characters.

One of them went so far as to start his own campaign in Roll20 so he could just keep making new characters in it and try things. Luckily this is a player who takes hours (days) to design the look of his character in MMOs, not a number crunching type. :)

I felt that was a pretty clear signal and decided to ditch finishing Aysle Day One (sorry Amelia!) and head right into the Delphi Mission that I had luckily already prepared "Lost in the Fog". So the party of Storm Knights was not quite what I expected, but then again with Torg I don't know if one can every really know what to expect...

Tatiana Petrov - A Russian-American who was in Russia for an athletics competition she witnessed the attacks of the technodemons and even after the truce was declared she balked at the obvious injustices being perpetrated by the Tharkoldu and joined with a resistance cell. They hunted down and killed a technodemon and she had its Zan Endoskeleton removed, cleansed and very painfully added to her to help her comrades. This eventually brought her to the attention of the Delphi Council. She dual wields Impact Hammers and is a beast with a Strength of 11. The player has no knowledge of Overwatch so all of us calling him out as a Zarya clone went over his head.

Lord Johnathan Lockhart - A monster hunter from Gaea, Lockhart travelled through the maelstrom bridge with Wellingtons expeditionary force. He has little to no faith in the Victorian nobility or Sacaellum, thinking them all as corrupt cultists or useless dandies at their best. He wants to help the people on Core Earth and hope that they can show his people real leadership. Though deep down he may just like to kill monsters, and the thrill of the hunt... A bulletsmith and alchemist he's ready to fight almost anything.

The Kestrel - Originally a member of the Egyptian Air Force the suspiciously named Frank Kestrel ran many missions against Mobius' forces but was taken out of the air near Cairo. His aging jet transformed into a bi-plane and crashed into the desert. Stuck in the middle of nowhere Kestrel had to jury-rig the remains of his plane into a one-man gyrocopter-backpack. Essentially giving himself a jetpack made from a biplane engine. He can fly and his flight jacket gives him a bonus to Maneuver checks. "The Kestrel was born that day over the desert in Egypt. He intends to carry on the fight against the evil Dr. Mobius, and bring an end to his reign of terror."

Father Basil Monnet - Father Monnet had been a Catholic priest before the invasion and transformed to cyberCatholicism afterwards. Still something was off with the CyberPopes teachings and he found himself with the Resistance. This was the one player who hadn't made a character through the week so he had to scramble to make something. As such his background is unfinished and may change still. An integrated GodBeam laser in his arm and other cybernetics back up his miracles which include some good old fashioned Hellfire.

Big Lurker

Re: Foggy Notions

Postby Big Lurker » Sat May 19, 2018 9:04 am

Nice artwork for the characters; especially the robes for the cyberpriest. On a bit of a tangent, has anyone seen an orrosh character that was transformed? Even in OTorg, every character from that realm I saw was a native of Gaea, not a Core Earther who transformed...

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Sat May 19, 2018 10:24 am

There is a distinct lack of good cyber priest art out there if you don't want mechadendrites

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sat May 19, 2018 3:00 pm

I would totally play a transformed Orrorsh character. I had even found a good portrait for a scientist/alchemist character, that was a photo of the famous Indian physicist Satyendra Nath Bose (for whom bosons are named). To be honest, I'm never been entirely comfortable with the preponderance of Caucasian player character archetypes coming out of Orrorsh and the Nile.

Matthew Surridge

Postby Matthew Surridge » Sat May 19, 2018 3:27 pm

To be honest, I'm never been entirely comfortable with the preponderance of Caucasian player character archetypes coming out of Orrorsh and the Nile.

Strongly agreed. In retrospect, the Nile Empire in my old Torg campaign tended to become a pastiche of Hollywood movies from the 30s, partly because I fell back on what was familiar, and partly because (as I interpreted it) that was how the setting tended to be supported. Orrorsh wasn't as bad, I think, because the idea of Victorians clashing with the local population was always there — but you're right that it would have been nice to see more locals.

I get the impression that fewer people from Terra are running around the Nile in Torg Eternity, because of the mention on p 245 of the Core Rules that the bridges are guarded but "individual heroes" have had luck sneaking through. That tends to rule out everyday people — except for administrative and secretarial types working in logistical support for Mobius, I suppose. I will say I like the idea of a colony of Victorians with a royal charter equivalent to the East India Company; seems to work with the setting narratively. But I'd still like to see more local NPCs described, get more of a sense of how the population's reacting, and how the transformed fit in.
Humankind cannot bear very much reality
— T.S. Eliot, who didn't know the half of it

My Torg Eternity review, part one and part two

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Sat May 19, 2018 5:12 pm

I did think that "Frank Kestrel" wasn't exactly a very Egyptian sounding name, but the player was so enthusiastic about it that I figured there wasn't much to gain from confronting him about it.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Sun May 20, 2018 1:33 am

Greymarch2000 wrote:I did think that "Frank Kestrel" wasn't exactly a very Egyptian sounding name, but the player was so enthusiastic about it that I figured there wasn't much to gain from confronting him about it.

Remember, Cleopatra is a Greek name.

Also, there was a sizable British imigration into Egypt. I wouldn't be surprised to find someone with that name living in the Egypt of our world, if that eases your conscience.

Count Thalim

Postby Count Thalim » Sun May 20, 2018 3:54 am

Big Lurker wrote:Nice artwork for the characters; especially the robes for the cyberpriest. On a bit of a tangent, has anyone seen an orrosh character that was transformed? Even in OTorg, every character from that realm I saw was a native of Gaea, not a Core Earther who transformed...

My group has one "Taisha". She is a transformed native of India from the initial invasion Axiom wash.
Even here though she isn't pure Orrosh as the player wanted to play around with some of the Psychic rules as well, so there are elements from Core Earth (Psychic precognition and an Axiom increase perk to bring Awareness within her personal Axiom)
Per Sanguis Ad Astra

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Sun May 20, 2018 10:31 am

"Lost in the Fog" Spoilers

So everything started swimmingly when the DC sent the group to pick up a contact known as Sabella from the market district of Cairo, but the codename was all they had so the PCs would have to do some sleuthing and asking around. It was at this point that they realized they had absolutely no streetwise or persuasion skills amongst the group :)

Still, Kestrel managed to ask around and figure out where someone matching the description had been seen and Lockhart guided everyone through the crowd to avoid a noisy altercation with Wu Hans thugs. Reaching the place they noted three possible merchants packing up to leave, everyone discounted one automatically but couldn't decide on which of the other two it was. Lockhart spent a possibility on a Scholar check and realized some information that it was actually the one they had discounted. Two players were immediately all "oh I totally knew it was that one" even though they had said it wasn't and were rightly called out on it by another player.

Meeting Sabella they managed to convince her of the danger and accompanied her back to to her warehouse so she could retrieve some documents. Kestrel and Tatiana went in with her while Lockhart and Monnet watched the door. As she was packing up a thick fog came in suddenly the door opened and an imposing cloaked and hooded figure moved in surrounded by fog saying "Sabella! I am here for you!"

Without waiting a second Tatiana hauled off and swung her impact hammer at the Fog and Kestrel fired up his backpack bi-plane engine to perform some maneuvers. Unfortunately he rolled a Mishap and lost control and careened out the window with a crash! The Fog moved for Sabella but she ran towards the now opening door that Father Monnet was coming in from.

Lockhart beckoned Sabella to come with him and leave the warehouse while Monnet screamed out about the power of the Lord in an attempt to Intimidate while the Fog disappeared back into the roiling fog. The battle ended though when the Fog spoke out of the mists trying to get Sabella to stop and that she was just trying to help her. Lord Lockhart called everyone to cease and parlay while The Kestrel fly back in through the window.

Finding out everything had all been a misunderstanding they moved into the warehouse proper so Sabella good gather some supplies and weapons she had been stashing, figuring the DC could use them. It was at this point that dramatic music rose along with a submarine from the banks of the Nile! Ninja Frogmen started to appear in waves but they were being killed almost as fast as they arrived.

The heavy harpoon launcher mounted on the sub itself proved to be a death sentence as every time a goon would man it and fire he would then by annhilated by the cyber priests pop-up GodBeam laser. Harpoons bounced off of Tatiana's occultech armour and I think she took like 3 shock the whole battle.

Eventually the Iron Crocodile himself arrived and monologued a bit and all of the storm knights derided his super villain name. He got in one good bite attack against the Tharkold psychic (after spending a possibility) and did a wound. Then the Kestrel managed to buzz him with maneuver and cause the Iron Crocodile to become Very Vulnerable. A light Hellfire did some shock but then Lord Lockhart fired an adamant bullet piercing his heavy armour and doing 2 wounds (1 soaked by possibilities). Lastly Tatiana managed an outstanding success with her Impact Hammer attack and cashed in multiple Coup de Grace cards and ended up doing 4+ wounds which could not really be soaked.

Swinging both her hammers she cracked the armoured head like a nut between them. As the body of Wu Hans lieutenant fell Monnets player played his "Inevitable Return" card so the Iron Crocodiles body fell off of the dock and sank down into the Nile and out of sight. Someday, he may return... dun dun DUN.

Realizing that none of them could operate a submarine they gathered the gear Sabella had stashed and made their way out of the warehouse and back into the now nighttime streets of Cairo, successful in their first mission as a group for the Delphi Council, Huzzah!

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:48 am

Later that Night...

The sound of a reverberating gong broke the silence of the Overgovernor's palace and the gilded double doors leading to his audience chamber were opened by barely clad servants. A line of bare chested Imperial Stormtroopers marched into the hall, the sounds of their sandalled feet echoing off of the ceramic mosaics of the richly appointed gallery. In their midst they dragged a barely conscious man, leaving a thin trail of blood leading back to the waiting foyer.

Staring at the bruised and broken wreck before him the Insidious Wu-Han, Overgovernor of Cairo and Lieutenant to Pharaoh Mobius himself waved the guards away and sat back down in his hand crafted throne of jade. Waiting until the troops had left and he was alone with his prisoner aside from the odd courtesan the master criminal stood up once again to his full height and addressed the quivering lump at his feet.

"I gave you the simplest of tasks Atum. Bring me a foolish woman from this decadent reality. I give you men, the finest frogmen in the Emperor's army. I give you a submarine. I give you the Iron Crocodile armour. And yet you fail me as your predecessor did. How? How could I waste our divine Pharaoh's gifts on someone so useless as you?"

The mass on the floor coughed and shook his head, drearily bringing himself up to his knees. Even in his wounded state he was obviously a bear of man who would be able to break the officials back with his bare hands, but yet cowered at the Overgovernor's words.

"There were... Stormers..." he spat out, blood trickling down his chin "There was fog, and guns and a woman with skin of iron..."

"A woman?" sneered the Insidious Wu Han "The Iron Crocodile beaten by a girl? Perhaps you are useless..."

"No! I will have my revenge on them! I swear on Set himself!" an attack of bloody coughing broke his sentence, once the ex-Iron Crocodile recovered he continued "Her hammers broke through the armour like it wasn't there. It wasn't enough!"

Wu Han stood directly before the broken thug and placed his hand on Atum's chin, forcing him to look up at him "Pharaoh Mobius would not be so generous as I. He does not believe in second chances. But I saw something in a simple dockside thug like you, and I will continue to manage my investment. Do not dare to fail me again... Iron Crocodile."

With that a green cloud of vapour billowed out from Wu Hans sleeves, surrounding the broken thugs face. It started with a cough but quickly turned to screams as the Atum began to claw at his face and throat and thrash madly on the floor. Skin split as blood and puss started to run over the Iron Crocodiles body, hardening into dull grey scales and a ripping and popping noise sounded as his bones began to shift and knit.

Overgovernor Wu Han sat back down in his throne of jade and delicately raised a goblet of fine wine to his lips and took a measured sip. A courtesan fed him two grapes. He then waved at her to remove the mewling form of the Iron Crocodile from his presence.

"Your last chance." he whispered again and laughed to himself.

((I posted this on our game forums between sessions :) ))

Return to “Game Stories In and Out of Character (TORG)”