Scarlett Edmunds and the Mummy

mistervimes

Scarlett Edmunds and the Mummy

Postby mistervimes » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:34 am

I just started running "The Godbox" and the party was headed back to Fort Washington with the refugees from Henson Creek Manor. Based on the writing, I decided that young Scarlett Edmunds was the adventurous sort. We've been playing weekly since the Core rules previews came out , so my crew are Beta clearance at this point and I beefed up the encounter just a tad. When the party got jumped by the pack of Edeinos, I had Scarlett and the transformed refugees join the battle. Scarlett unloads with her rifle and I roll 20, 20, 19. Moonflower, the Elf warden, doesn't miss a beat and she tosses down the supporter card for a total of 62. Chip Gaes (Mummy Boy Detective) throws down the Glory card. Scarlett massacres the beefed up velociraptor.

I'm very big on player agency and I look around the table and everyone is smiling.

"So, how does this play out?" I ask.

"Sounds like a moment of Crisis to me," replies the Tharkold Doom Trooper.

And that's how Scarlett became a Storm Knight. It could have just ended with that, but the Mummy Boy Detective (whose player really loves the Destiny Card system) tosses down the Nemesis card. "She's possibility rated. It's up to you to figure out why our new companion hates me."

Everybody laughed and (thus far) Scarlett just keeps giving the mummy the stink eye. Fortunately this was at the end of session and I have a week at GenCon to figure out what to do with poor sweet Scarlett and her Mummy Boy nemesis.

Great session.
"He was an unshaven collection of bad habits marinated in alcohol, morose, cynical and ridiculously soft-hearted. One of Nature's policemen; his soul burns to arrest the Creator for getting it wrong."" - (Terry Pratchett)

Istrian

Re: Scarlett Edmunds and the Mummy

Postby Istrian » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:05 am

Great story. I should probably start rolling Ord NPC vs Ord NPC from now on :-)

Just one point though: unless you're house-ruling it, Supporter doesn't add to the dice total but to the action total. The only thing that adds to dice totals are other dice.

mistervimes

Postby mistervimes » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:18 am

Istrian wrote:Great story. I should probably start rolling Ord NPC vs Ord NPC from now on :-)

Just one point though: unless you're house-ruling it, Supporter doesn't add to the dice total but to the action total. The only thing that adds to dice totals are other dice.

Yeah. I was unclear on that when we first started playing and decided not to change the ruling when I got it cleared up. It doesn't come up often enough to matter and it was narratively interesting.
"He was an unshaven collection of bad habits marinated in alcohol, morose, cynical and ridiculously soft-hearted. One of Nature's policemen; his soul burns to arrest the Creator for getting it wrong."" - (Terry Pratchett)

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:14 pm

I run a lot of demos, so I’ve gotten used to telling people that Supporter affects final skill and not the die roll. Usually that’s a good thing when you roll above 20.

Just having an NPC roll a 59 unaided is worth a Glory.

If it matters in the future, the Storyteller perk can give Possibilities for ords to use.

But that’s a fine time to bend the rules a bit. Nicely done.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Return to “Game Stories In and Out of Character (TORG)”