My campaign came to a wonderful ending

Gargoyle

My campaign came to a wonderful ending

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:31 am

I've always wanted to run a complete campaign that takes place over a year or more, and I've finally done it, and we are very happy with how it turned out. One house rule I have is that resurrection is not a miracle you can take, it's a ritual that you have to adventure for, and I used that to great effect yesterday.

They had just hit Beta clearance, and the last adventure was to try to use the Tree of Life in the Living Land to resurrect an old villain turned good guy, the Iron Crocodile. After his failure in the second session of the campaign, Dr. Mobius and the Insidious Wu Han mummified the IC alive in his armor rather painfully. They encountered him again months later in a Hong Kong subway where they turned him to their side with a promise to restore his humanity. He traveled back to Cairo to find the canopic jar containing his heart and met them in the Living Land in this last adventure to try to restore his soul.

Well, they found the Tree of Life in what was left of the Atlana Aquarium, but a Lost World manifested, a pyramid rose around it, creating a very Nile Empire like mixed zone. The IC was there,but he turned on them and Nile Shocktroopers joined the battle while the optant endeavored to commune with the Tree (DSR of faith checks of increasing difficulty). Of course the shark tank that they were sitting on was cracking and the transformed megalodon was causing water to spray up, and a setback caused the Anubis statue to awaken as a Walking God and he started killing whatever was closest, which fortunately was the remaining Nile shocktroopers.

While all that was going on Lady Hourglass revealed herself as the one controlling the iron Crocodile, released him, and made a very good attempt to mind control the Hard Boiled detective. He resisted with an Opponent Fail and Rithka, the optant took some time away from communing with the tree to nearly kill her with her deathclaws, IC was trying to drown Rithka, the optant, but she fought back and was drowning him. He refused to soak damage, wanting to die and end his own suffering.

Anyway, she finished the DSR with only one round to spare and learned there was a cost. To save the IC she would have to take the place of an optant that was already inside the tree (common theme in this game I know). She chose to do so and swapped places with the human optant inside but instead of the IC, she offered the spellbook of Anna, a witch from the Cyberpapacy, and resurrected her instead, much to Hank's surprised. This was something the player was planning for months.

The pyramid continued to crumble as Anna appeared, formed out of the tree and then cast a portal to save her, the human optant, and Hank. The undead Iron Crocodile remained behind, buried by tons of stone,

The players did plan on shelving these characters for the long term, and I gave them an epic send off. We all literally cried, they did not expect something that emotional and I didn't realize it would be that good. Torg just sort of works out that way so often, but this was the best session I've run so far.

Now they are rolling up a human optant (the one formerly in the tree) and a Nile Empire storm knight who is a sort of Pirate Radio Broadcaster who can fly, They will still be Beta clearance, should be interesting,
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Zackzenobi

Re: My campaign came to a wonderful ending

Postby Zackzenobi » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:13 pm

That sounds awesome!

JeffWalklin

Postby JeffWalklin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Well done!

mystic101