I Remember

Gargoyle

I Remember

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:57 am

I've never liked how transformed humans appear as dumb cavemen, so I wrote this, sort of to acknowledge that while their Tech axiom is much lower, and their behavior decidedly primitive, they still have some hazy memory of their past, and some understanding, yet disbelief and disregard, of a high tech, high social axiom world.

--------------------------------------

I remember. You think you know so much, that you are so much smarter, but you are not. You live in boxes, you travel in boxes, you work in boxes, you carry boxes around, and for fun you stare at boxes. And then they put you in one. You play at being alive, when in fact, you are stillborn.

Don’t think that I’m dumb. I remember the old ways. The words aren’t confusing to me. I remember the media, politicians, calendars, Internet, soccer games, smart phones, cars, traffic, deadlines, E=mc2; I just now see them for what they really are: Lies. They were never real.

Your tools and technology are no longer relevant. The mundane details of that terrible dream, pointless tasks such as “configuring firewalls” or “troubleshooting wifi”, those are surreal. The real world is brighter, and more...alive. I will smash your boxes over the heads of my foes and burn them to heat my food.

And no, I don’t worship Lanala, it doesn’t work like your squabbling gods. In truth, she worships me. She grants me gifts sometimes, in exchange for simply feeling. Running, hunting, fighting, hurting, making love, these are my gifts to her, and in return she helps me survive the Mists so that I can go on to feel.

I also remember as I woke from the dream into the real world, how the gotak killed my family in front of me in the name of Lanala and how the Jakatts didn’t stop him. My family may have been living in a dream and just as confused as me, but the blood was real. The screams of my wife and sons were real. The pain is real.

I remember hearing Lanala for the first time and realizing my true purpose. It wasn’t to be caged in a box, it was to destroy those who choose to defile this world in her name. The death cries of the gotak were satisfying, and the howls of dismay as the Jakatt’s prayers failed against me and the taste of their hearts made me smile. I gained peace again, for a moment, and then ran through the rain to find another of these invaders to kill.

Tomorrow, next week, next Tuesday, next year these are the biggest lies, they may have been real once, but no longer are. There is only now, and vengeance cannot wait.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Re: I Remember

Postby TorgHacker » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:49 am

Incidentally, transformed humans in the Living Land won't be Neanderthals or dumb. :-)
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

johntfs

Postby johntfs » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:27 am

TorgHacker wrote:Incidentally, transformed humans in the Living Land won't be Neanderthals or dumb. :-)

There's an excellent Warren Ellis graphic novel called Crécy which recounted the Battle of Crécy from the viewpoint of a foul-mouthed English archer. He narrates the battle directly to the reader though he occasionally interacts with other characters in the book. At one point he tells the reader something like "Remember, we're just as intelligent as you are. The only difference is that you have a wider range of knowledge to which you can apply your intelligence."

Intelligence develops through the solving of problems. It's highly likely that "cave people" were overall "smarter" than most modern people because the slow, stupid people in cave society died quickly.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:04 pm

TorgHacker wrote:Incidentally, transformed humans in the Living Land won't be Neanderthals or dumb. :-)

Sort of guessed that would be the case. There is so much room for improvement in that realm.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:05 pm

Great perspective. This makes them obviously more interesting as player characters and to interact with. One paragraph bothers me though:

Gargoyle wrote:And no, I don’t worship Lanala, it doesn’t work like your squabbling gods. In truth, she worships me. She grants me gifts sometimes, in exchange for simply feeling. Running, hunting, fighting, hurting, making love, these are my gifts to her, and in return she helps me survive the Mists so that I can go on to feel.

You are right, they don't worship Lanala, it is mentioned somewhere in the SB that Baruk Kaah sees himself als first lover of Lanala and that optants means lover. So it would be better to say: I don’t worship Lanala, it doesn’t work like your squabbling gods. In truth, I love her and she loves me.
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Stormchild wrote:Great perspective. This makes them obviously more interesting as player characters and to interact with. One paragraph bothers me though:

Gargoyle wrote:And no, I don’t worship Lanala, it doesn’t work like your squabbling gods. In truth, she worships me. She grants me gifts sometimes, in exchange for simply feeling. Running, hunting, fighting, hurting, making love, these are my gifts to her, and in return she helps me survive the Mists so that I can go on to feel.

You are right, they don't worship Lanala, it is mentioned somewhere in the SB that Baruk Kaah sees himself als first lover of Lanala and that optants means lover. So it would be better to say: I don’t worship Lanala, it doesn’t work like your squabbling gods. In truth, I love her and she loves me.

No telling what the new canon regarding Lanala will be like, so I wasn't being particularly careful to adhere to the existing canon, and in fact I took a little bit of creative license on that point. I may update it after more official info about the Living Land is released, but just take it for now as some tale told by someone who maybe didn't quote the optant correctly. ;)

Edit: Was thinking about this, and another take on this is that not all optants have the same beliefs...like real world religions, there may be different "denominations" if you will, that disagree on the details. This was expressed in oTorg with some conflicts between some of Lanala's followers and Baruk Kaah's gotaks and optants, but I think there could also be smaller degrees of disagreement on the details of Lanala and her dogma.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

carldot34

Postby carldot34 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:00 pm

I really liked 'I remember'. That was a good POV for a group of NPCs that my 1990's players saw as 1960's hippies, all peace and love and flowers in their hair.

It might be fun to read similar things for the other cosms. I remember in the High Lords Guide, there were single pages of 'introductions' for each of the cosms that could be handed out to players. A sort of quickie 'what you know'.

blackwind1kaze

Postby blackwind1kaze » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:27 pm

carldot34 wrote:I really liked 'I remember'. That was a good POV for a group of NPCs that my 1990's players saw as 1960's hippies, all peace and love and flowers in their hair.

It might be fun to read similar things for the other cosms. I remember in the High Lords Guide, there were single pages of 'introductions' for each of the cosms that could be handed out to players. A sort of quickie 'what you know'.

It'd be nice if the core rulebook would have that as well for TORGe.
I don't always GM, but when i do, I go out in style :ugeek:

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:27 pm

carldot34 wrote:I really liked 'I remember'. That was a good POV for a group of NPCs that my 1990's players saw as 1960's hippies, all peace and love and flowers in their hair.

Thanks, I may write more. I'm sort of interested in running "Moment of Crisis" style adventures for my players to give them all some solo stuff, maybe as a flashback origin story, maybe before they actually play, not sure yet. Those stories just inspire me, and I like a more serious, but not grimly dark tone. Just writing stuff that I have a notion to write though, not sure what I'll write next.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Return to “Game Stories In and Out of Character (TORG)”