Free RPG Day

Padre

Free RPG Day

Postby Padre » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Anyone else planning on running Torg: Eternity for Free RPG Day this year? I'm planning on running two sessions at Imperial Outpost in Glendale, AZ. I'm still not sure what scenarios I'll be running, I've got four or five in mind, but I will be there.

hawaiianbrian

Re: Free RPG Day

Postby hawaiianbrian » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:43 am

I'll be running two 2-hour sessions for Free RPG Day here in Portland, Oregon.

Coming up with a scenario isn't easy, though. I want it to:
• Have a mix of combat and interaction
• Have something for every character type to do, within reason
• Have a Dramatic Skill Resolution (possibly in the form of a chase)
• Use enemies from two different realities to showcase as much of the game as possible without getting ridiculous
• Do all this in two hours

I might use a modified version of my "Run Through the Jungle" adventure. Maybe "Run Through the Desert, Whilst Being Pursued by Shocktroopers"...

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:01 pm

hawaiianbrian wrote:I'll be running two 2-hour sessions for Free RPG Day here in Portland, Oregon.

Coming up with a scenario isn't easy, though. I want it to:
• Have a mix of combat and interaction
• Have something for every character type to do, within reason
• Have a Dramatic Skill Resolution (possibly in the form of a chase)
• Use enemies from two different realities to showcase as much of the game as possible without getting ridiculous
• Do all this in two hours

I might use a modified version of my "Run Through the Jungle" adventure. Maybe "Run Through the Desert, Whilst Being Pursued by Shocktroopers"...

Five Room Dungeon Method (used this to create it in about 20 minutes, would have to be fleshed out and polished a little)

Make it a Living Land adventure, featuring a small reality with Nile Empire villains. Easiest way to do two realities in one Act. The Wonder could be a fragment of Ukhaan so you don't have to make it up. The Nile Empire and LL are allies and have an agreement to let them plunder certain Wonders that the edeinos are uncomfortable looting in exchange for... something unknown.
Reality in Scene One and Two are Living Land, the last are mixed Ukhaan/Living Land. The ord Shocktroopers have talismans.

<skip the Delphi Council Briefing, run it in medias res>
Scene One: Guardian - Simple combat scene vs some ords. Ex. Taking out edeinos warriors or a dinosaur that attacks your convoy destroying your supplies, etc. Saving a friendly edeinos? Gives them knowledge that not all edeinos are bad guys.
Scene Two: Puzzle/Roleplaying interaction scene: Ex. Finding an entrance into a crystal pyramid, maybe convincing friendly edeinos to show you a back way.
Scene Three: Trick or Setback: Dramatic Skill Resolution. Ex. They are ambushed by Nile Shocktroopers. But the automated defenses of the pyramid activate too, attacking randomly with energy beams and closing in the walls, and must be shut down with Science checks.
Scene Four: Reward or Revelation: They find an eternity shard, the Eye of Ukhaan, and its purpose is to warn of invaders. It activates, alerting them to the leader of the Nile Expedition, avoiding them being flat-footed this time.
Scene Five (dramatic): Big Climax: The possibility rated Nile Empire villain with pulp powers (maybe some sort of mummy themed villain with something evil like some sort of drain health power) and Insidious or Gloater leads a squad of shocktroopers to claim the crystal.

The crystal is damaged with big holes near the top. If a Dino Attacks card is played it could be a flying dino or something that slithered in like a big snake, just reskin another dino. Or another squad of Nile Empires. Or both with the dino eating the Shocktroopers and them asking for help.

Not sure if you can run it in two hours though, but you can collapse it to three or four scenes easily enough. Scene four can be part of five, and two can be a quick segue instead of a full scene. The method need not be followed verbatim, but it gives you a way to design quickly.

Chase rules in TorgE aren't really that intuitive as they work differently from other DSR's, so I'm more of a fan of "disarm the bomb" or "stop the ritual" while mooks attack sort of thing for beginner players.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:46 am

Good ideas there. I'm tempted to do something with the Nile Empire because it's a) my favorite realm, b) I'm still stoked about it after co-authoring the Nile Empire mega-adventure, and c) the Living Land gets all the love in these convention one-shots. However, I just got the "Lost City" Paizo Flip-Mat, and I'm suddenly imagining a scenario set in Belize where the heroes are racing against a group of shocktroopers to recover something from an old Mayan pyramid, and there'd be a tribe of edeinos there too, and possibly a T-Rex of course...

Plageman

Postby Plageman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:55 am

You could always reuse the start of 'before the dawn" the starting adventure from oTorg. You will just have to switch the device from act 3.
Alternatively you could use a mix of the LL day 1 adventure, Heart of Uukan and throw in some NE mad scientist using a Weird Science device as a competition for the race to the Eternity Shard.

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:09 am

I am going to a convention soon where I plan to run Torg Eternity and I have spent some time on these things. I tentatively have planned to run a Delphi Mission where the Storm Knights have to run something from Aysle to North America and of course run afoul of the Living Land.

My thinking was that some cosms are more likely than others to send agents abroad. My personal list is (from most likely to least)

1. Orrorsh (Nightmare/Dimthread Trees)
  2. Pan-Pacifica
  3. Nile Empire
  4. Cyberpapacy
  5. Tharkold
  6. Aysle
  7. Living Land

So I can have agents of the other realms chasing the Storm Knights to give my players a taste of what the realities are like.

Plageman

Postby Plageman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:57 am

If you run from Aysle to NA the most probable is that you will draw attention from the local High Lords forces. Or at least you can have some local opposition.
Mobius would easily send forces to the LL jungles especially to test some crazy theories related to the Wonders.
Cyberpapacy agents and Pan-Pacifica could be present in modern settings like Canada.
At the moment the Gaunt Man has been very quiet so unless the McGuffin is important to him he'd just watch and cackle. If you want include Orrorsh you could use a Nightmare tree to change the feel of the zone but be warned that it may already be much for a short convention scenario.
Also keep in mind that the character's may have to go through multiple Storm Fronts depending on where they have to drop the "package". That alone could represent a challenge.

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:25 am

Plageman wrote:If you run from Aysle to NA the most probable is that you will draw attention from the local High Lords forces. Or at least you can have some local opposition.
Mobius would easily send forces to the LL jungles especially to test some crazy theories related to the Wonders.
Cyberpapacy agents and Pan-Pacifica could be present in modern settings like Canada.
At the moment the Gaunt Man has been very quiet so unless the McGuffin is important to him he'd just watch and cackle. If you want include Orrorsh you could use a Nightmare tree to change the feel of the zone but be warned that it may already be much for a short convention scenario.
Also keep in mind that the character's may have to go through multiple Storm Fronts depending on where they have to drop the "package". That alone could represent a challenge.

One thing a designer could do, however, if they have time, is prep High Lord agents that have connections to the scenario's pre-gens. If no one picks the Cybperpapacy Storm Knight, don't use the Inquisitor and his Streetbeaters in the scenario.

I often find that it's helpful to build adventures in chunks that you can "drag and drop" into scenarios. One of the nice things about Torg is that you don't need to justify dropping something atypical into an adventure. It's definitely possible that Storm Knights could run into a Cyberpapal Inquisition team while exploring the Seeker tunnels of Aysle, or that a Nile dirigible is scouting the Gulf Coast. ;) It might have nothing to do with the main adventure, but it can definitely throw Storm Knights off their stride.

"A technodemon? Here!? But I packed for the Living Land!"

hawaiianbrian

Postby hawaiianbrian » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:53 pm

I ended up only being able to do one session but it was pretty fun. The adventure was called The Tomb of Khnem-Hotep. It pitted the heroes in a race against a Masked Marauder ("The Yellow Jackal") to an old pharaoh's tomb in the desert to retrieve a gem of mysterious power. Since the session could only be two hours long I kept things pretty pared down. I used the five-room-dungeon idea, though I changed that to "Five Beats."

1 (Guardian): As the rest of the shocktroopers explored the rather large ruin complex, two shocktroopers searched in the portion where the heroes already knew to look.
2 (Puzzle): The pharaoh's tomb was a single room at the bottom of a shaft. Anything that dropped into the shaft was blasted by statues in the corner, then the trap had a 30 second reset. Originally I intended them to do a DSR to disable the trap but they opted to blow up the mechanism with grenades instead, so I ran with it.
3 (Setback): As soon as they liberated the gem from the old mummy, a beam of green light shot up the shaft and into the sky, alerting the shocktroopers. Time to go! Also, it seemed to be causing the clouds above to swirl...
4 (Climax): Turns out, the gem creates full-on sandstorms. The heroes hopped into their jeep to flee, and The Yellow Jackal and his shocktroopers gave chase with the exponentially-growing sandstorm closing in behind. Since I didn't do a DSR earlier, I did one for this chase. But we also used the vehicle rules to have The Yellow Jackal's roadster, a shocktrooper cargo truck, and a motorcycle attempting to stop the heroes. Best part was when a Dragon Warrior leaped onto the roadster with a grenade, took the damage (armor!) then got into a wrestling match with The Yellow Jackal while the driverless car veered wildly out of control.
5 (Reward): They got the gem, obviously.

I might put the adventure on the Infiniverse Exchange this summer.

Padre

Postby Padre » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:06 am

I ended up running two sessions, two scenarios out of Rising Storm. Spoilers follow.

For the first, I had 6 players and ran the Heart of Ukhaan. It went well. The hero of the day was the scrapper who used all out attack to wipe out whole groups of edinos at once, pushed the bridge into place, then down into the abyss, and the finally cracked the shell of the guardian with one blow. The elf, though, pulled off the true feat by rolling a glory on his maneuver for snatching the heart. The only issue was with the dramatic skill resolution, as the players got unlucky with the first three card draws and didn't get an A. One player decided he was uninterested in playing anymore as he couldn't handle the mechanic and quit.

The second session was with 4 players and I ran Lost in the Fog. Two players returned from the previous game. Again, the session went well and the players enjoyed the game. One player left as he was very cold, but he enjoyed the game and will probably play again.

Overall, the day went well. It helped that I had a couple players who were familiar with the game including one who brought his cargo box with him.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”