Roll20 Sheet Update

MalicWanderer

Re: Roll20 Sheet Update

Postby MalicWanderer » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:27 am

ZorValachan wrote:I took the powers off the main page (moved to the powers page), shifted interactions to that table, moved Reality to its own table (allowing adjustments to attribute, as i use Cha) and did a permanent Find on the others table as that is a very commonly used skill. I am not a computer person by any means, but copy/pasting and changing skill names to add/adjust skills is very easy to do. Just make a copy of your game, so if you mess something up, you dont mess up the original.

Just going to point out that that's only doable for Pro subscribers. Free or Plus subs can't customize character sheets, just use the ones roll20 has built in.

mattritchie wrote:@maIIc - many thanks for the update! I had actually tried to do that in the last version, but my coding skills aren't quite what yours are. And I hadn't noticed it because I've been playing in a game where I have hacked the sheet in a couple of other ways - until I saw this message. I hope you'll feel free to work on it as much as you want - I think I have taken it about as far as I can.

I'm afraid I lack the spare energy to do as much sheet dev as I would like, but I appreciate the positive reception and it's certainly not impossible I'll try to add in some of the other fixes people have mentioned here, if no one beats me to it that is. :)

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:54 pm

I hate Beginner's guides. They always make me feel like I need a "pre-beginner's guide"

I made a GitHub account and I think I made a Character Sheet submission (I hope).

Things very much based on previous Copies.

Changes:
1. I moved the Powers Skills to the Powers Tab: 8 "non-essential" skills takes up a lot of real estate on the front page if you don't have them. People who want them on the front can add them to Other Skills and just keep the back and front tabs the same on their own.
2. Added Fatigue box to armor
3. Moved Dodge Skill to Combat
4. Reality is it's own skill category for easy finding
5. Added a permanent Find Skill to Other Skills - often used
6. Added a "Mod" column to all skills/attributes. You can use this for Powers such as Enhance, and even things like aiming, all-out attack etc. this auto-calculates to the value and goes to the roll, without adding to the adds and forgetting what your adds were or attribute was after the effect ends.
7. Moved the Attributes around to make it "official" Charisma, Dexterity, Mind, Spirit, Strength
8. Took Toughness and Armor and moved them up to the Possibility Axiom Line
9. Added the Power skills to the drop down button in weapons (so you can put your offensive spells there-reads values from the Powers tab)
10. Changed Equipment to Notes (most of my players did not want a separate box for all items and used that section for notes, reminders, equipment, etc.) I didn't change the repeating boxes for those who do want to use one for each equipment piece.

"Paraverse/House Rule friendly" additions:
11. Added a CV (Cybervalue) box next to Possibilities. Can be used by others to put any value you might want to keep track of.
12. Added all the attributes as choices to Reality (the Paraverse and others use Charisma, and the GM might call for a Reality-Mind for understanding something, etc.).

I wish there were buttons to click for Stymied, Very Stymied, and wound penalties to affect everything, but you can either adjust the mod or the DN to take these into account.

If you want to use the code now, send me a pm and I can email it to you (character length is too long to put in a spoiler and I can't attach the file. (yeah I can modify the roll20 character sheet, but can't figure out how to get it to you all :P
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

mattritchie

Postby mattritchie » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:43 pm

@Zor - if it turns out you didn't get the code posted correctly to the R20 GitHub, let me know. I'm pretty sure I can do it for you.

mattritchie

Postby mattritchie » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:48 pm

MalicWanderer wrote:I'm afraid I lack the spare energy to do as much sheet dev as I would like, but I appreciate the positive reception and it's certainly not impossible I'll try to add in some of the other fixes people have mentioned here, if no one beats me to it that is. :)

I would like the see the fonts smaller and - in the place of roll buttons - hyperlinks on the skill name that trigger the rolls. That is how most of the better sheets work - see 5th Ed. SRD sheet. You want to minimize the amount of work a user has to do to find the right skill/attack/etc. and make their rolls. I've TRIED to get this done, but the custom sheet I'm working with right now is just a mess. We need someone with better CSS skills than me.

MalicWanderer

Postby MalicWanderer » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:12 am

Edit to add:
ZorValachan wrote:I hate Beginner's guides. They always make me feel like I need a "pre-beginner's guide"

I made a GitHub account and I think I made a Character Sheet submission (I hope).

Took a look at the open pull requests on github, don't think I see yours.

Just some opinions, which others can take or leave as they see fit.
ZorValachan wrote:Changes:
1. I moved the Powers Skills to the Powers Tab: 8 "non-essential" skills takes up a lot of real estate on the front page if you don't have them. People who want them on the front can add them to Other Skills and just keep the back and front tabs the same on their own.

Personally hate the very concept of making players keep things the same in different places themselves. Would be better, imo, to have an option for hiding (each of the) power skills entirely. Someone who doesn't use Faith ever doesn't need it showing on another tab, after all.

4. Reality is it's own skill category for easy finding

Feel like an entire category for one skill is superfluous. I'd just put it at the top of "Other" or something to that effect.

6. Added a "Mod" column to all skills/attributes. You can use this for Powers such as Enhance, and even things like aiming, all-out attack etc. this auto-calculates to the value and goes to the roll, without adding to the adds and forgetting what your adds were or attribute was after the effect ends.

I would've used a popup query asking for modifier when you roll, personally. Especially for things like aim. But I suppose there's no reason the two can't coexist. (I don't remember if the rolls on this sheet already have one of those or not.)

2. Added Fatigue box to armor
3. Moved Dodge Skill to Combat
5. Added a permanent Find Skill to Other Skills - often used
7. Moved the Attributes around to make it "official" Charisma, Dexterity, Mind, Spirit, Strength
9. Added the Power skills to the drop down button in weapons (so you can put your offensive spells there-reads values from the Powers tab)
10. Changed Equipment to Notes (most of my players did not want a separate box for all items and used that section for notes, reminders, equipment, etc.) I didn't change the repeating boxes for those who do want to use one for each equipment piece.

Sounds good.

"Paraverse/House Rule friendly" additions:
11. Added a CV (Cybervalue) box next to Possibilities. Can be used by others to put any value you might want to keep track of.
12. Added all the attributes as choices to Reality (the Paraverse and others use Charisma, and the GM might call for a Reality-Mind for understanding something, etc.).

Not a big fan of house-rule stuff just being on the sheet. Too easy to look confusing for people who aren't as familiar with the game. "What's this CV box for? Did we miss something?" Now if it was an optional thing, something people who do use it can opt into, then that's different.

Using different attributes than usual for skill tests sometimes is a canon rule, tho, so I'd actually love to see an option to make that easier on every skill. Just not sure what it'd best look like, I wouldn't want anything that made normal use harder, or that you had to remember to turn back off every time.

I wish there were buttons to click for Stymied, Very Stymied, and wound penalties to affect everything, but you can either adjust the mod or the DN to take these into account.

It wouldn't be hard to incorporate wound penalties automatically as just a consequence of the current wounds. The trick, imo, would be in making it clear that's happening and also giving a simple and clear way to skip them when necessary (perks that ignore them, etc.)

As for Stymie, I'm not sure it wouldn't be best accomplished with just a modifier query, like I said for the mod column above. Feel like a checkbox is just going to lead to people forgetting to (un)check it. :lol:

mattritchie wrote:I would like the see the fonts smaller and - in the place of roll buttons - hyperlinks on the skill name that trigger the rolls. That is how most of the better sheets work - see 5th Ed. SRD sheet. You want to minimize the amount of work a user has to do to find the right skill/attack/etc. and make their rolls. I've TRIED to get this done, but the custom sheet I'm working with right now is just a mess. We need someone with better CSS skills than me.

I could probably pull that off. When I might be able to get around to it is another matter entirely, of course. >.>

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:50 am

I moved the Powers to the back tab to keep everything on that back Tab. If I knew how to toggle a "hide" them I would have done that. They have to be on the sheet for the power blocks tgemselves as well as the weapons dropdown, but i have 2 characters out of 7 that use them and they only use one each. Hiding them would solve the Reality being it's own section thing as well
I moved Reality to its own section, because every time I tried to condense it to 3 sections, a large blank area would appear above Other Skills that was empty real estate. It's also why I added a Permanent Find, the columns were off for that section with only repeating skills, there needs to be 1 permanent skill there..

There is a DN query, which you'd have to adjust. The main reason I wanted a mod box was for spells like Enhance on the older Sheet. But with the addition of buttons, my group got confused with combat modifiers and adjusting DNs. I was doubfounded, until I thought to use the mod column for that also It made things go a lot easier.

CV was for CyberValue. I can easily change it to CL and have that "Clearance Level", or "CyberValue Level" as text instead of value.

For the Sytmied/Very Stymied, i was just thinking of conditions in the pathfinder sheet. It affects -all tests- so would lead to multiple adjustments. On click choice (yes people have to remember to uncheck it), would bypass a lot of modifying.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.

mattritchie

Postby mattritchie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Just loaded up the current Roll20 build to play around with it. Up to now, I had been using a custom sheet.

Mad props to @malic for figuring out how to hack the turn tracker so it can be used to keep up with roll totals. Very, very cool. That, combined with the clearer text on the now-published cards really improves the automation and quality of the Roll20 experience.

- Matt

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:53 pm

Ok, I'll just ask here.

How do you make a toggle to hide something on a character sheet?
If I know this, I can put the Powers back to the front tab and just put directors to spaces on the back tab to show this as I think it is important to have those skills on the last tab as well. I can then move reality back to Other Skills, but keep Find there too as I think it is probably a very often used skill.

I also made Possibilities their own line and added all the realms (in hopes that all the Realms end up with their own Possibilities like Living Land does), so I would not have to do that to the future. The new UP button can be used for the Mind tests where it doesn't count as a minimum of 1.

I also changed CV back to Clearance, I can just type something like "Alpha; CV4" to get Paraverse/House rule Information onto the sheet without it making it too Optional Rule Specific.

Matt, If I get that Powers Toggle working, I might ask for you to get it to GitHub as apparently I am too lacking to figure it out myself.

Thanks everyone, it's kind of cool to get such a nice character sheet from the input of a lot of people.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.

MalicWanderer

Postby MalicWanderer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:18 pm

I would suggest checking out https://wiki.roll20.net/CSS_Wizardry , they have a lot of neat tricks you can pull off, including hiding stuff.

For the specific of hiding the power skills, I'd probably put a checkbox in the same area I put the advanced roll option, the little box you bring up by clicking the gear icon in the top right. Then because of the way CSS works you'd need another, hidden checkbox outside of the settings section with the same name, which you'd use for the hiding CSS.

mattritchie

Postby mattritchie » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:15 pm

@Zor/Malic

I am a little inconsistent in how often I check in here. If you pm me, I'll give you my private email, which I monitor pretty regularly.

- Matt

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”