House Rules

DerHuthmacher

Re: House Rules

Postby DerHuthmacher » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:18 am

Mike McCall wrote:I won't be using this, as backblast isn't a thing in movies, and I don't see any reason why an action-movie universe or its invaders should, either. YMMV.

Well, I'm not going to use it either. I don't want to overcomplicate that system. I will see how the rules work out for my group in actual play situations and from there on tweak what is necessary, if anything at all.
---
Hell is where the heart is.

Necanthrope

Postby Necanthrope » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:44 am

A few weeks ago I told I would put a chart with damage according to muzzle energy, so here it is at last

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4BVc ... k1PUHV5YUk

I decided to convert muzzle energy into the Torg chart (which is such a powerful tool), then reduce the value by 2 (because it looked like a lot)
You will see that it does not change things a lot, but makes rifles a lot more poweful than pistols.

I wil try to find values for Slayer's Gun and Electro Ray
oh and also Energy Weapons...
Attachments
boom chart.jpg
boom chart.jpg (77.75 KiB) Viewed 2537 times

Loswaith

Postby Loswaith » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:52 am

Attributes can only be increased a maximum of 5 times (one cannot overcome their inherent short-falls)

Characters get 30 XP to spend on skills to begin with and get the Reality at +1 add for free, each step must be paid for (thus a +3 skill costs 6xp). The Language skill costs half the XP (round up) of other skills.

Fire Combat (Dexterity) is replaced by two skills, Pistols (Dexterity) and Rifles (Dexterity); Pistols cover most single handed fire-arms, while rifles cover the larger firearms such as rifles and shotguns. (quite a bit of difference in these fire-arms, at-least as much as other skill breakdowns that are of a similar nature)

Purchasing additional perks form the following perk sets don't increase the costs of other perks and remain at 5xp per upgrade; Cyberware Implants, Dragon Warrior, Ion Gusoku, Miracles, Alchemy, Bulletsmith, Occulttech Implants, Psionic, Axiom Increase and Spellcaster. (Essentially characters are just upgrading and not getting new perks, often getting less for the cost in the process than the original cost).

Additional Perks:
Attractive: (starting character) The character is considered attractive, be it through looks or just general presence. The character gains a +2 bonus for interaction tests or where their attractiveness would make a difference (first impressions, persuasions, seduction, and the like). (essentially breaking attractiveness away from charisma).

Training: (starting character) The character starts with an additional 6 xp at character creation to spend on skills (this can let a character start with a +4 skill add, but the skill still has a limit of +5 overall). (Lets a character be the individual with the fancy trick being their starting skill pool rather than some kind of special ability)

Ayaron

Postby Ayaron » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:45 am

Loswaith wrote:Attractive: (starting character) The character is considered attractive, be it through looks or just general presence. The character gains a +2 bonus for interaction tests or where their attractiveness would make a difference (first impressions, persuasions, seduction, and the like). (essentially breaking attractiveness away from charisma).

I would consider making this favoured, rather than a straight +2. This would bring it more in line with other perks that show increased aptitude for certain things, like Shadow Step, Smiling Deceiver, Chameleon Skin, Whip Tail, Warden, Indomitable.

Ayaron

Postby Ayaron » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:09 am

The following is my current House Rules list, some cribbed from posts on this forum, some my own idea. Would be interested in any thoughts people have on them: -

Skills
    Starting a new skill during play costs 2XP for the first add.

If you aren’t under time constraints then you can ‘take 10’ on a skill check. Essentially accept a +0 and just go with your skill’s total.

Favoured Skills: The second roll cannot cause a mishap (if the first roll was a mishap then you are not allowed to reroll). But the second roll can cause disconnection, malfunction or be worse than the first roll.

Profession(career): A player can spend an action and roll on Profession to provide a bonus to a task normally covered by another skill/stat if that profession would be relevant. They get a bonus using the extra effort results on page 120 of the core rules (generating a +0 on a fail to a max +3 on an Outstanding) which they can then use as a bonus.

Living Land characters with Faith get to select an extra free miracle from the following list for every add after the first (the first gives ward enemy as usual): Bounty, call animals, commune with animals, healing.

Perks
    Buying the same perk a second time (for those that allow it for additional spells, abilities etc) always costs a flat 5XP and does not increase the cost of new Perks. Note this does not include Medals which must all be purchased separately at the full cost. This is for perks where additional purchases give a lot less ‘stuff’ and just boost the original. If a second purchase of the Perk grants the same as the first, then it costs the full, incrementing, amount. Explicitly: Purchasing additional perks form the following perk sets don't increase the costs of other perks and remain at 5xp per upgrade; Cyberware Implants, Dragon Warrior, Ion Gusoku, Miracles, Alchemy, Bulletsmith, Occulttech Implants, Psionic, Axiom Increase and Spellcaster.

Pulp perks Super Skill and Attribute do not increase the stat. They provide a bonus while they are active. This has implications for XP costs, disconnections and losing a gadget. Their bonuses do not stack with those gained from magic items, spells, miracles, or psis.

Elven Sorcerer makes Concentration rolls favoured. This is because I don't like that as presented it is the same perk as Resilient, and it means it's possible for an Elf to never take shock on a spell failure.

With GM permission and an in game reason you can buy perks from other cosms. This does not include the Core Earth Reality perks or anything innate to a cosm/race that couldn’t possibly be learnt or acquired. If they are marked with a star they will always be a 1-point contradiction, even in that cosms realm, as they are alien to your character. Outside that cosm they will be a 4-point contradiction. Spells/miracles/psionics from other realms that are within your axioms are still 1-point contradictions as they are from a different philosophy. And you will suffer that styles penalty on a mishap (see below).

Mishaps and Failures on spells/miracles/psionics
In addition to when a character suffers a successful interaction or
damaging attack Concentration rolls are also needed if the character takes a Shock or Wound from any source. This includes the 2 shock from a spell failure.

The mishap range increases by 1 for every power currently being maintained via Concentration. For example, if a caster already has 2 powers being maintained then the mishap range when casting a 3rd spell is 1-3.

Spells
In all cosms, a failure to cast causes 2 Shock.

On a Mishap an additional effect depends on what kind of spellcaster you are:
    Aysle Mage: The caster becomes Very Stymied.

Core Earth Dabbler: The caster loses connection with Earth's ley lines and can no longer cast spells until the end of the scene. Can re-establish connection by spending an action rolling the same magic skill against a DN10 modified by the reality zone type (so it’s easier to re-establish in Core Earth than in another reality).

Cyberwitch or Cyberwarlock: The caster takes 1 BD Shock instead of the normal 2 for a failure. Note that if they are in the Cyberpapacy at the time they will also take the 1BD Shock caused by the Law of Heretical Magic. This is why cyber-casters buy Hexxer chip implants.

Nile Empire Sorcerer: The caster must discard his entire hand, then redraw back to one less than before. If the sorcerer doesn't have any cards in hand, randomly discard a card in their action pool. If an NPC has a Mishap, one random player may draw a Destiny card.

Orrorsh Occultist: The caster has a choice:
    Become Very Stymied.
    Discard the result and roll again as if the mishap never happened. This also mean any disconnection does not occur. This can be done more than once until the spell no longer mishaps. Once the spell is resolved make a Corruption test at -2 per mishap avoided as the Gaunt Man claims a little more of your soul.

Tharkold Acolyte: Thralls suffer 2 Shock, and all technodemons within 10 kilometers are alerted. The creatures can home in on such things and often send their minions to bring them the pitiful human who attracted their attention. Note: I do not like this one and hope to come up with something better.

Miracles
On a failure the invoker becomes Doubtful, and takes a -2 penalty on invoking additional miracles until the next scene. They must also make a Concentration roll for any Miracles they are currently maintaining.

On a Mishap, the invoker becomes Very Doubtful, and takes a -4 penalty on invoking additional miracles until the next scene. If the invoker is already Very Doubtful, she cannot invoke miracles at all until the next scene.

This penalty can be removed by spending an action to make a Faith roll of DN 10, modified by the current Doubtful penalty.

Psionics
On a failure the psi takes 2 Shock.

On a Mishap, the psi takes 2 Shock and 1 Wound which may be soaked normally.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:05 am

Ayaron wrote:The mishap range increases by 1 for every power currently being maintained via Concentration. For example, if a caster already has 2 powers being maintained then the mishap range when casting a 3rd spell is 1-3.

If you're going to include 1-2 and 1-3 Mishaps, you may want to consider implementing a rule that was in place during the demos that was removed for simplicity's sake. The rule is that firing a gun on Short Burst increases the Mishap range to 1-2 and Long Burst makes it 1-3. You're obviously very comfortable with that level of complexity, so this rule may work for you.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:39 pm

Kuildeous wrote:If you're going to include 1-2 and 1-3 Mishaps, you may want to consider implementing a rule that was in place during the demos that was removed for simplicity's sake. The rule is that firing a gun on Short Burst increases the Mishap range to 1-2 and Long Burst makes it 1-3. You're obviously very comfortable with that level of complexity, so this rule may work for you.

That's in the rulebook, page 125.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:37 pm

Spatula wrote:
Kuildeous wrote:If you're going to include 1-2 and 1-3 Mishaps, you may want to consider implementing a rule that was in place during the demos that was removed for simplicity's sake. The rule is that firing a gun on Short Burst increases the Mishap range to 1-2 and Long Burst makes it 1-3. You're obviously very comfortable with that level of complexity, so this rule may work for you.

That's in the rulebook, page 125.

Ah, sorry, got version lag stuck in my brain again. I was getting confused with the rule that you disconnect on any Mishap.

Never mind, carry on.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:31 am

Inspired by discussion on another thread. I usually add some sort of effect to those rolls anyway, this just sort of formalizes that and gives some player agency. Let me know what you think.

Player's Call on Outstanding Results in attack rolls

RAW: With Interaction attacks, an Outstanding Result gives a Player's Call result where the player can change the narrative directly and describe what happens, instantly defeating an ord or substantially putting a possibility rated character at a disadvantage of some sort.

House Rule: This rule also allows for Player's Calls on other skill checks that are attack rolls such as Fire Combat or Melee Weapons. The "default" Player's Call results are that the attack can be converted into a multi-action retroactively to target one additional enemy, or the enemy is knocked down, Stymied, or Vulnerable in addition to any damage from an Outstanding result.

But the player can specify a different cinematic result that is appropriate for the situation after the roll is made. An ord that is the target of an Outstanding result is generally defeated immediately, pushed off a convenient cliff for instance or outright killed, but a possibility rated character may be pushed off too, but catch the edge with their fingertips, be forced to retreat or take cover, drop a weapon, or otherwise be inconvenienced.

This rule applies to attacks against the player characters too, making enemy Outstanding results against them slightly more cinematic and dangerous.

If a Glory card is played for the Outstanding attack, the Player's Call effect should be even more pronounced, defeating even a possibility-rated character immediately or multiple ords, even if it wasn't a multi-action.

Intention: Bonus die damage is often low causing Outstanding results to be somewhat disappointing sometimes. The Player's Call on attack rolls is icing on the cake for such results and a consolation for those times when a player rolls snake eyes with two bonus dice, without being overwhelmingly powerful, and it may speed combat by eliminating the enemy more quickly, and gives some more player agency to the narrative of combat.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Ange Gardien

Postby Ange Gardien » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:32 pm

I do really feel that there is somethin bad with the idea of a +18 success margin and only two damage dices bonus.
It does not feel right to have been so successfull and to miss so much when you only roll a 2 and a 3.

While playing I went on reroll the one or two and the eternity dices.
But I do think that you should not have a damage bonus weaker that Half the success margin or that you could go for not rolling the dices and go for Success margin minus 4.

I had an issue last knight while Gming Day One in PanPacifica. On Pc managed to get a 19 success margin and it felt really not right to see two dices only go with a lame two and three.
I do like the idea of letting the Player choose.

The trademark weapon's perk is a bit weak and I changed it to : you are favoured with your favourite arm.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”