House Rules

Gargoyle

Re: House Rules

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Ange Gardien wrote:The trademark weapon's perk is a bit weak and I changed it to : you are favoured with your favourite arm.

Regarding that perk, I think an overlooked part of it is that the weapon is never lost. True that doesn't happen too much, except in the Living Land, but it's comforting to know that your favorite gun will always somehow make its way back into its holster. Also, by re-rolling 1's, the perk doubles the chance of an explosion, not a small thing. It may be better than you think.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Rocketeer

Postby Rocketeer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:55 am

Gargoyle wrote:
Ange Gardien wrote:The trademark weapon's perk is a bit weak and I changed it to : you are favoured with your favourite arm.

Regarding I think an overlooked part of it is that the weapon is never lost. True that doesn't happen too much, except in the Living Land, but it's comforting to know that your favorite gun will always somehow make its way back into its holster. Also, by re-rolling 1's, the perk doubles the chance of an explosion, not a small thing. It may be better than you think.

When rolling 1BD, there's a 16.7% chance of rolling a 1, and for 2BD there's a 30.6% of rolling at least one 1. If the result of a BD roll is a 6 (aka eternity symbol) and the subsequent additional BD is 1, then that can be rerolled also. So, the Perk should allow rerolls fairly often.

A major point of frustration for my players has been getting low results on BD rolls, especially after a very high D20 roll. Therefore, one of my players took Trademark Weapon as his first experience point purchased Perk.

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:58 am

Rocketeer wrote:A major point of frustration for my players has been getting low results on BD rolls, especially after a very high D20 roll. Therefore, one of my players took Trademark Weapon as his first experience point purchased Perk.

This has been my concern about the new damage system as well, FWIW. Most of the time it plays well but it really kind of sucks to get an amazing hit and then roll snake eye.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:42 am

ProfessorK wrote:
Rocketeer wrote:A major point of frustration for my players has been getting low results on BD rolls, especially after a very high D20 roll. Therefore, one of my players took Trademark Weapon as his first experience point purchased Perk.

This has been my concern about the new damage system as well, FWIW. Most of the time it plays well but it really kind of sucks to get an amazing hit and then roll snake eye.

Yeah, I've seen this frustration more than once already. The two bonus dice seem fair enough, but the disappointment factor when rolling bad happens too often. Hoping adding players call effects will help.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:05 am

Hopefully players won't focus just on the time they rolled really well and got snake eyes. Hopefully they'll also remember that time they barely got a Good result and exploded twice on the one bonus die.

Adding the variance to the damage does yield some unpredictable results. Sometimes the dice are kind to you, and sometimes the dice are just cold.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

TiaMaster

Postby TiaMaster » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Trademark Weapon is incredible. You must understand how it is supposed to be played, and then you will always take it. I am finding it hard to justify having every major opponent have that Perk, though.

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:12 pm

Kuildeous wrote:Hopefully players won't focus just on the time they rolled really well and got snake eyes. Hopefully they'll also remember that time they barely got a Good result and exploded twice on the one bonus die. .

Play test is suggesting otherwise. Three of us now have run into the same issue.

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:27 pm

House Rule for Soaking Damage

If you don't like the idea of failing a Soak roll and spending a possibility point for nothing, you could do the following:

On a failure, a Storm Knight just heals all incoming Shock. In Orrorsh, a failure still does nothing due to the
Law of Perseverence

Loswaith

Postby Loswaith » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:49 am

ProfessorK wrote:

One way to go about that is that for every 5 points a target number is exceeded you get a minimum of +1 for the bonus dice results. So for example a roll is 12 points over the DN, it gives the character the +2BD, with a minimum result of +2 (minimum the dice would roll anyway). Now say that roll was 40 points over the DN, again still only giving the +2BD, however the minimum bonus value would be +8 (40 / 5 = 8), about the average of the 2BD as a minimum, if the overall result is lower than 8, however if the bonus dice result in more than 8, they would use that amount. Thus it doesnt really break anything but mitigates the unfortunate bad rolls on otherwise great successes.

You could even just give a +1 for each 5 after the +2BD mark as well to essentially somewhat represent additional BD steps (it's not much sure, but still some bonus and makes the BD feel the more important part).

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:30 am

What do think of this?

Investigation skills

Every Act, a Storm Knight can automatically succeed at an investigation skill a number of times equal to their number of adds. Investigation skills include any skill that is used to acquire information from the environment (not from characters), typically based on Mind, most commonly:

Computers
Evidence Analysis
Find
Profession
Scholar
Science

But it could also include using skills with the Mind attribute to get information, for instance determining what type of weapon was used might require using Mind with the Fire Combat skill.

This takes the place of rolling a test with these skills. If there is a clue that needs to be found to advance the adventure, it should be found without the use of investigation skills, these are to give the Storm Knights an advantage through additional knowledge. Using these skills to do things other than to look for clues requires a skill check as normal, for instance Computers might still be used to turn off a security system or a Find skill test rolled to spot a trap or avoid an ambush. If the number of attempts has been used up, the skill may not be used to gather more clues. If a clue doesn't exist, then the attempt is not used up, using up one of your attempts should always yield useful information.

Intent: This is intended to speed the game up, and to reward characters with adds in the relevant skills. Instead of everyone rolling Find to look for a clue or using a Combined Action, or rolling over and over for clues that aren't there, the action just succeeds and the game moves on. It is also intended to reduce the number of not so glorious Glory rolls. Inspired from the Gumshoe rpg system.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”