Character Generator for Windows

Spatula

Re: Character Generator for Windows

Postby Spatula » Sat May 11, 2019 11:09 am

Whoops, forgot to run my unit tests. There was a bug in 1.6.1, please download the latest v1.6.1.1 if you run into problems opening saved characters. Thanks to Simon for letting me know about the problem!

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Sun May 12, 2019 12:49 pm

Spatula wrote:Whoops, forgot to run my unit tests. There was a bug in 1.6.1, please download the latest v1.6.1.1 if you run into problems opening saved characters. Thanks to Simon for letting me know about the problem!

Yah to unit tests! You wouldn't believe the amount of developers I meet that don't do TDD.

If your using VS, get a copy of NCrunch. It will run them as you code.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Fri May 31, 2019 3:14 pm

Version 1.6.3 is available, including new material from the Nile docs. I've also fixed some bugs and made some additions:

The program now distinguishes between equipment/spells that are contradictory vs. invalid for the character, and doesn't try to stop you from adding contradictory stuff. Though for sanity purposes, contradictory equipment is still not shown unless you click on the "show unavailable items" checkbox.

After character creation is over, there are changes to how equipment is added.
1) Windows for choosing equipment now list the DN for getting the item rather than the dollar amount, post-chargen. The dollar amount is still shown in the full display when the item is selected. The DN is more useful post-creation as it's used for requisition/scavenging/etc.
2) The "buy" buttons on the equipment sections split into "add" and "acquire" buttons post-chargen. Adding lets you add some item to the character without needing to do anything else. Acquire brings up a new requisition/acquisition window.
3) In the Character menu, there will be a new option visible post-chargen, "Acquire Item" that also brings up the requisition/acquisition window.
4) The Requisition window is much like the normal "buy stuff" window but it incorporates some features of the d20 rolling windows. Basically you get to make a test with persuasion or streetwise and then only the stuff that you could get with your result will be displayed. It also sorts from price DN descending instead of by name.

Lastly, items like the laser sight and ammo items are attached to another item. You can right-click on the laser sight/ammo/whatever to "un-attach" them. So if you put a laser sight on your Glock, the Glock will now note that it ignores up to 1 point of penalties. If you load it with armor piercing bullets, it will note that it has AP 2.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:03 am

Progress is being made...

► Show Spoiler

I've worked with random treasure tables before so getting the new Aysle random enchanted items up and running didn't take too much effort, which was nice. Adding variable enchants to items was substantially more work! Note the axiom on the final weapon! Yeah, big deal, I know, but incorporating the enchanted/arcane/artifact rules was actually not very easy.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:57 pm

For the record, I wasn't even thinking of how easy it would be to incorporate the Treasure Table into a character generator when I designed it. But I am glad that it seems to have worked out.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:12 am

The character generator has been updated with the Aysle sourcebook material! The application version is now 2.0. There are a lot of changes behind the scenes with this update, and some visible ones as well.

Visible
I realized I never got around to implementing a few things from the Nile backer archetypes. Trademark Vehicle has been fully implemented, and the vehicles from those archetypes have been added. I set the vehicle costs at the top of those allowed by the perk, counting the Stinger as an armed vehicle because of the gadgets. I added the new Uncanny Dodge enhancement from the stick-fighting doctor archetype. The doctor's eskrima sticks are now properly implemented, so that the dual-wielding bonus increases if the character has Uncanny Dodge with the Nimble enhancement. For items that didn't get full write-ups in the archetypes (all of them?) I guessed at their prices.

I've also revamped how the weird science gadgets (from Secrets of the Nile Empire) work. Before I was trying to make them be like pseudo-perks, but it was never quite right as the gadgets mostly work slightly differently than the perks do. And I already had separate items for the gadgets in the Nile sourcebook like the ray-gun. So now every gadget is its own thing that is similar to but not the same as the perk that inspired it. For example, if you take the RoboApe gadget, you get a proper RoboApe companion with the +1 wounds and the Mindless ability and the rest, and not the Beastmaster's related-but-not-identical Strong Ape companion.

In the application itself, probably the most notable of the visible changes is that how weapon attachments (silencers and the like) and special ammo (hollow point, etc.) are now tied to a particular weapon (or vehicle, or whatever) instead of just showing up in the general gear tab. Such item modifications will appear under that item in the tables, like enhancements do with perks. The new Aysle enchantments also function in the same way - basically they've all been put together into a grouping of "things that modify items." Some can be turned on or off (ammo, tech attachments) and some can't (built-in bits or magic enchantments). You can only have one kind of ammo loaded at a time. You can buy these enhancements by right-clicking on an item and selecting the "add an enhancement" menu option.

Extreme example:
► Show Spoiler

Vehicle weapons, for those vehicles that have them, and upgrades/enchants are also now (finally) displayed in the vehicles tab, in a manner similar to item enhancements.

You can now create custom on-the-spot spells, similar to how you can create custom items or abilities. Though it's mainly reserved for GM characters. PCs can get to the spell creation window with the Spell Researcher perk.

Potions, scrolls, etc. have been placed in a new category of gear, Consumables, which can be filtered out when buying/acquiring items.

There's also another new category of gear, Implements, for staves and orbs and the like. A couple of Nile items have been re-classified into this group.

Perk, item, spell, etc. prerequisites are now evaluated continuously. Before they were only checked when being added to the character and when loading a saved character. So now if you make some change that causes the character to be no longer capable of using a perk or item or whatever, its name will turn red in the tables and its effects (if any) will be removed from the character. Or if your axioms change and an item becomes contradictory (or not contradictory) that will also be shown.

The Companions tab has been revamped so that each companion has a separate sub-tab. Also, if you learn spells that summon or create creatures, the creatures will appear in the Companions tab so that the stats are at hand. But they can't be edited or improved like normal companions.

If you tab into an attribute input field, all the text will be selected, making it easier to type in new values.

When exporting a character to text, the character's equipment is now broken up into categories (weapons, armor, etc.) instead of being in one big block.

The "find a random magic item" window has been updated to use the new tables in the Aysle sourcebook (minus the items in the tables that don't appear in the actual book, will revise when the book is finalized).

For Advanced Users
Gone is the one massive XML file that held all of the data, it was getting too big for me to manage. The XML is now split into separate files for each source book. If you have custom data, you don't need to change anything, your current CustomGameData.xml file will still work. But if you want to, you can break your stuff up into separate files. The pattern is XXX_CustomGameData.xml where XXX uniquely IDs a sourcebook. The sources and their IDs are defined in DataSources.xml in the Data folder. You can also make a MY_CustomGameData.xml file for your personal additions that are not related to any source material. If you want to.

Some of the element names in the XML have changed to keep things consistent, but the old names are still recognized. For example, BoostAttribute is now ModifyAttribute, but BoostAttribute will still work.

Regardless of whether or not you have added any customizations to your data, you shouldn't need to change anything.

You Have No Idea
I also completely revamped the application's data model to streamline a lot of the code and make my life so much easier going forward. Characters made with previous versions of the application should still load; I have a library of over 200 character files over the life of the program that I use to test backwards compatibility, and they all work. There's no way I could have covered every possibility, though, so if you run into problems, send me the file in question (please don't just email me "my file doesn't work!") and I'll repair it.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Spatula on Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sword of Spirit

Postby Sword of Spirit » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:39 am

Quick question: Did I miss the final release of the Aysle sourcebooks, or are you going with the preview material for now?

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:57 pm

Sword of Spirit wrote:Quick question: Did I miss the final release of the Aysle sourcebooks, or are you going with the preview material for now?

Preview. I don't expect there to be any major deviations with the final version.

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:00 pm

Holy smokes - this is amazing!

thanks so much for making such a great tool!

Graethynne

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:05 pm

I put up a slight update, v2.0.0.3, which fixes a few small bugs I had discovered since the previous release, and adds in support for abilities that trigger off of approved actions, as well as mythic actions (as seen on the Great Dragon in Aysle). Also, if you buy an animal mount and stats exist for that creature (like most dinos), the creature stats are included in the Companions tab.

Approved Action Abilites & Mythic Actions
If you're making a GM character, you can create a one-off ability by clicking the "Add" button on the Special Abilities tab, and then click the "Create Custom Ability" button (that's not new). The window that pops up now has a checkbox for Mythic Actions and a combo-checkbox for approved actions.

► Show Spoiler

The fields are optional, though if you check the Mythic Action box, there has to be at least one Approved Action selected.

You can also define such abilities in the XML:
► Show Spoiler

Abilities tied to Approved Actions will have that noted in the UI and when the character is exported to text. Mythic actions will be broken off into their own section, as with the Great Dragon statblock in the Aysle sourcebook.
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”