Living Land... in London?!?!? (Funny thing I saw on Twitter)

Devcon

Living Land... in London?!?!? (Funny thing I saw on Twitter)

Postby Devcon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:17 pm

For those who don't know, Big Ben has been turned off in London to repair the landmark

When I woke up this morning I saw this on my Twitter feed...

So the 1st thing that popped to mind was "Oh crap the Living Land just dropped a Maelstrom Bridge in London! Wow Baruk Kaah really IS a badass now!!!"

And now I'm wondering what a Aysle/Living Land Mixed zone looks like... :D :D :D

Zackzenobi

Re: Living Land... in London?!?!? (Funny thing I saw on Twitter)

Postby Zackzenobi » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:52 pm

It looks like a lot of wizards running around losing Spell components left and right.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:23 pm

A few years back, we ran a game of High Lords on the official WEG boards, where each player took the role of a High Lord invading Earth in a sort of Play-by-eMail game. Our LivinG land player, in fact, dropped into London. Sadly, he idles out of the game before we could see what his master plan was, but it was looking nice.

(The CYberpapacy dropped into NYC, based out of St Patrick's Cathedral. Mobius hit India (They have a holy river, after all!) while the Gaunt Man dropped into Haiti. I don't remember where the rest went.)

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:17 pm

Wakshani wrote:A few years back, we ran a game of High Lords on the official WEG boards, where each player took the role of a High Lord invading Earth in a sort of Play-by-eMail game. Our LivinG land player, in fact, dropped into London. Sadly, he idles out of the game before we could see what his master plan was, but it was looking nice.

(The CYberpapacy dropped into NYC, based out of St Patrick's Cathedral. Mobius hit India (They have a holy river, after all!) while the Gaunt Man dropped into Haiti. I don't remember where the rest went.)

I had the prototype rules for that but lost them. Does anyone know where I could find them again?
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:49 pm

I dropped Aysle in Germany and the Czech republic and expanded southward. My fake Charlemagne was heading for Jerusalem when Mobius dropped the moon on the earth ending the game (what a clever bastard).
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:56 pm

Rabbitball wrote:I had the prototype rules for that but lost them. Does anyone know where I could find them again?

I still have the rules. Here are the basics. There is much more but it is too much for posting. If you are interested, PM me and I send you the whole file. The gameplay showed that the rules needed a makeover though.

High Lord Resources
Each High Lord begins with the same number of resources: 1 maelstrom bridge, 7 stelae, 2 armies and 1 lieutenant.

A maelstrom bridge (MB) is the connecting point between the invading cosm and the geography of Earth. Once placed they cannot be moved. They must be surrounded by at least 3 stelae or else Earth's reality will destroy the bridge. A High Lord's armies when newly placed, must be placed at a maelstrom bridge. The High Lord's armies, lieutenants, and gospog can move from one maelstrom bridge to another.

Stelae (St) create the boundaries of the invading realm on Earth. Three stelae create a triangle zone that contain the invading reality, and keep Earth's reality out. The zone cannot be created if the stelae are placed more than 500 kilometers apart. Stelae can be joined to a maximum of 6 other stelae, creating a continuous network (called the realm) across the planet. There must be a maelstrom bridge within the network to fill the realm with the invading reality. If a stelae is destroyed by Storm Knights, Earth's realm returns to the zones that stelae bonded, unless there is another available stelae to take its place.

Armies (Ar) begin placed at a maelstrom bridge. They can be moved around to defend the invading reality, or move outside the realm to activate new stelae, or collect bodies to sow a gospog field. An army is at an advantage when in its native reality, and at a disadvantage when outside it. Armies must have a definite location every week, though they can move anywhere else in the realm from week to week. If they move outside the realm, they must stop just outside the border, while Earth's forces retaliate. If they are victorious, and there is a new stelae planted, the realm will extend to the new boundaries. An army can be destroyed by an opposing army outside it's reality, but will be able to retreat if inside its realm.

Lieutenants (Lu) are the elite agents of a High Lord. They are at an advantage when in their native reality and have no disadvantage when outside it. The location of lieutenants are hidden from other High Lords unless they have their own lieutenant nearby. Lieutenants must have a definite location every week, though they can move anywhere else on the planet from week to week. Lieutenants will notify their High Lord if they spot any other lieutenants or Storm Knights nearby, and will battle them if they try to destroy stelae or gospog fields. Lieutenants can be attached to armies to give them a +1 advantage. Lieutenants can also be sent to locations to search for stelae or Eternity Shards.

Gospog are special units that are grown in fields that have been sown with the bodies of Earth's dead. After the gospog field is created, it will produce units of increasing effectiveness.
Gospog of the first planting (G1) grow after 1 week, and count as an army with no disadvantage outside their reality.
Gospog of the second planting (G2) grow after 4 weeks, and count as an army that is at an advantage both inside and outside their reality.
Gospog of the third planting (G3) grow after 9 weeks, and can be attached to other armies to give them a +1 advantage.
Gospog of the fourth planting (G4) grow after 16 weeks, and can be attached to other armies to give them a +2 advantage.
Gospog of the fifth planting (G5) grow after 25 weeks, act as lieutenants, and when attached to armies give them a +3 advantage.
After a field produces a crop of gospog, it must be re-sown with bodies to produce the next planting. After the fifth planting, the field no longer produces gospog. Because 10,000 bodies must be planted for each sowing, gospog fields become well-known and are prime targets for Storm Knights.

Wakshani

Postby Wakshani » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:54 pm

Stormchild wrote:I dropped Aysle in Germany and the Czech republic and expanded southward. My fake Charlemagne was heading for Jerusalem when Mobius dropped the moon on the earth ending the game (what a clever bastard).

AH! THAT'S the one I'd forgotten! I was absolutely in love with that one.

(My plan was to practices volcanic eruptions, first in Hawaii, then bigger ones in Iceland, before finishing things off via me SUPER SECRET TEENSY zone in Yellowstone... which is where the gaunt man lived Gaea.

Because I'm crafty that way. :D

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:15 pm

I just found a lot more of the mails from the High Lords Game. I had all but forgotten how this game went.
The realms were

Magna Verita
Marketplace
Nile Empire
Orrorsh
Star Sphere
Takta Ker
and my Aysle

It was more a writing experience, some kind of short story exchange than a strategy game to me and it was great to read the stories the other High Lords wrote.

Sadly, I cannot find the file with the names and placements of the other High Lords. I know I had it stored separately for easy reference and must have deleted it after the game (probably because I am trying to be data sensitive).

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”