How long does it take you to run an act?

ProfessorK

How long does it take you to run an act?

Postby ProfessorK » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 pm

We are finding it takes about 4 hours per act of the LL day one scenarioi.

At this rate its going to take us about 36 weeks to do all the day one adventures (we meet every other week.)

FRankly it feels liek its dragging to me. Combat honestly feels clunkier with having to track and remember all the pluses and minuses.
Maybe some of this is just getting used to it, but Im not loving how its playing comapred to the fast action feeling of oTorg...

Rabbitball

Re: How long does it take you to run an act?

Postby Rabbitball » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:57 pm

ProfessorK wrote:We are finding it takes about 4 hours per act of the LL day one scenarioi.

At this rate its going to take us about 36 weeks to do all the day one adventures (we meet every other week.)

FRankly it feels liek its dragging to me. Combat honestly feels clunkier with having to track and remember all the pluses and minuses.
Maybe some of this is just getting used to it, but Im not loving how its playing comapred to the fast action feeling of oTorg...

Are you using tokens to track the statuses (Stymied, Vulnerable, Wounds, Shock)? That helps me get through the grind. Also, I'm finding that keeping those tokens on the stat blocks helps me remember them. At one point, when we had several enemies scattered all over the map, the status markers were placed under the relevant people to keep them in mind.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:46 pm

No, what ar you using for token?

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:22 am

I got one of those chrome poker chip cases from WalMart with 80 chips of five different colors. My schema is:

White = Possibility
Red = Wound
Blue = Shock
Black = Stymied
Green = Vulnerable

but I have seen other versions.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:16 am

Does anyone else have any other tips or ideas for making game play faster?

Hobbes

Postby Hobbes » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:02 am

Tips for speedy game play.

Have the charts handy. Bookmark the PDF, print them out, whatever.

30 second rule. If you can't find a rule in 30 seconds, make a decision, move on. If it's important, write it down, figure it out after the game.

Turn order, if your players can't decide who goes first just go around the table and let everyone know that they can jump in at any time.

Transparency matters. Get the DNs of physical and interaction attacks out in the open. If something has a Trick of 6, that'll speed up a Players decision.

Make obvious choices obvious. When you're setting the scene don't get caught up in the dungeon dressing, describe the places, objects, NPCs, that the players should be interacting with.

In Combat, have all the non-possibility rated NPCs go first. Have them each do a single action, either a physical or an interaction attack, and then get to the Possibility rated NPC(s), spend some time on that action.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:45 am

Four hours for a 5-ish Storm Knight group to do an Act is about what we expect.

If things seem to be dragging the first thing I'd check is to see if players are not spending Possibilities to boost attacks in Standard scenes.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:42 am

As mentioned above, thats a LOT of play time then for a day one scenario....

You may have gone a bit overboard. I wonder if 1 act scenarios might have been better...

Mike McCall

Postby Mike McCall » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:19 pm

ProfessorK wrote:As mentioned above, thats a LOT of play time then for a day one scenario....

You may have gone a bit overboard. I wonder if 1 act scenarios might have been better...

Living Land is 3 acts, Aysle is 2 acts, all the others are 1 act. That's a total of 10 acts. LL is longer because they wanted to highlight the rules in the first one, and Aysle wants to cover ground both above and below (a mistake, I think -- Act One seems over-padded to me). The others are pretty focused and compact.

ProfessorK

Postby ProfessorK » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:38 pm

Okay yeah, my players are honestly kidna bored of the LL after 2 acts. Its likely we wont even play the third act.

Its good to know the others are shorter.

I guess I shoudl clean up my LL day one 2 act adv I wrote for a con and make it available to others as an alternate...

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”