Infinite Cosms (Forum Game)

Exploring the Storm

Re: Infinite Cosms (Forum Game)

Postby Exploring the Storm » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:19 am

Re: Imperium Aeternum "The Eternal Empire"

Blew me away - Such an awesome foil for Nile Empire and Weird Science vs some sort of psionics(ish) provides an interesting contrast as well. Would having Cyberpapacy on the other side of them be huge hindrance as cults and deities my not sit with Cyberpope as Italy is not that far away and may suffer constant attacks.

I wonder if the game makers are taking notes...as the concepts being brought out here are pretty awesome :D

ETS Group

DerHuthmacher

Postby DerHuthmacher » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:09 am

I wonder how I always tend to get these insane results (no kidding or manipulation on my part), but at least I can work with this one.

Arth

Magic 4 - Magic exists only as lengthy and uncertain rituals, each unique to its creator. Divination allows images of specified distant places, but not the past or future.
Social 5 - Tribal groups and alliances form. Pictographic writing and art appears.
Spirit 2 - Belief, focused by intricate rituals allows visions of other physical locations. Such powers only work for the truly faithful, and require sacrifice, study, and unwavering faith.
Tech 3 - Animals are domesticated. Textiles and armor are crafted from animal skins and fur.

Arth is a world where the Ice age came and decided to stay for a happy time. It is a harsh world covered in snow and ice with roving bands of Neanderthals trying to survive against the constant cold, mammoth beasts like cave bears and dire wolves, also clashing with each other if tribes accidentally run into each other. And beneath the snow older, stranger beings lurk. The winners of battles betweens tribes typically kill all men and take the women for themselves. Typically, the tribes are only led my one male, forcing younger ones to go and form their own tribes once they are old enough. As a result, there are also male-only group, trying to find a tribe they can take over. When they do, they dissolve and the former members kill or chase each other away.

Faith is not a common ground for the Neanderthals of Arth. Each tribe has its own believes about totems and the afterlife. Magic is pretty much an extension of faith. All magic rituals are invariably tied to the beliefs of the tribe.

Law of Struggle - Life is not a kind thing to the inhabitants of Arth. It's a constant struggle for survival and the winner takes all. In a direct confrontation, those better equipped or suited (read: those who have the better bonuses anyway) to win will find all their actions favored.

Law of Guidance - Neither Arth's magic nor spiritual axiom would allow this, but shamans can summon their totems to take on aspects of the spirit (enhancing attributes or skills for the scene), spiritually guiding them or even physically manifesting. Such a ritual differs from tribe to tribe and is always very lengthy and difficult to perform.

Law of Savagery - As the living land law.
Last edited by DerHuthmacher on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
---
Hell is where the heart is.

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:11 am

Exploring the Storm wrote:Re: Imperium Aeternum "The Eternal Empire"

Blew me away - Such an awesome foil for Nile Empire and Weird Science vs some sort of psionics(ish) provides an interesting contrast as well. Would having Cyberpapacy on the other side of them be huge hindrance as cults and deities my not sit with Cyberpope as Italy is not that far away and may suffer constant attacks.

I don't see Psionics as a big thing in the Empire. The Social Axiom is still a bit too low. Spirit is their big thing... the Gods are literally with them.

Exploring the Storm

Postby Exploring the Storm » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:36 pm

Fair enough :)

How would they combat the Weird Science to the south and the Cyberpapacy to the upper left? What levels the playing field?

ETS Group

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:50 pm

Exploring the Storm wrote:Fair enough :)

How would they combat the Weird Science to the south and the Cyberpapacy to the upper left? What levels the playing field?

That those things are contradictory in the lands of the Eternal Empire? Low Tech axiom and no World Laws that support Weird Science.

Exploring the Storm

Postby Exploring the Storm » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:14 am

Do you think Cyberpope and Mobius would work together to get rid of their common neighbor?

If so do you think it would be the start of the High Lords working together to start whittling down some of the competition and the creation of super realms would come into being?

ETS Group

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:11 am

Exploring the Storm wrote:Do you think Cyberpope and Mobius would work together to get rid of their common neighbor?

If so do you think it would be the start of the High Lords working together to start whittling down some of the competition and the creation of super realms would come into being?

To be honest, I never gave any thought to the Empire invading Core Earth. This thread is just to create ideas for cosms from random axioms. It's up to individual GMs on how they use them, if at all.

Still, if I was to interject another realm, I would go for South America. Room to settle down before brushing up against another High Lord. Smack dab in Europe is a poor position, surrounded by 4 other High Lords.

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:11 am

• Magic 13 -- Highly magical creatures such as elementals and dragons spontaneously manifest and thrive. Mind reading becomes possible. Living beings can transform into other living beings, but risk is involved. Conjuration spells become possible, but only illusionary effects. Permanent magic items, such as enchanted swords and rings, may be created.
  • Social 1 -- Individuals interact, but don’t form lasting social units or bonds.
  • Spirit 21 -- Select miracles become available to individuals with faith adds in the dominant religion, even without the Miracles Perk.
  • Tech 28 -- “Living“ biotechnology reshapes itself as needed. Teleportation and manipulation of Possibility Energy are possible. Living beings are rendered virtually immortal.

Nucleolus

Long ago, a highly advanced cosm experimented recklessly with biotechnology. Storm Knights who visit Nucleolus have been known to joke, darkly, that their last words were probably "Hold my beer."

The entire cosm is now dominated by singular lifeforms the size of planets... because they are planets that have been consumed by runaway biotechnology. These living planets circle their suns quietly, occasionally shooting "spores" out into space to colonize more worlds.

Inhabitants of other cosms who visit Nucleolus can walk around on these planets without suits, as ancient biotech maintains a human-friendly atmosphere, but they run the risk of aggravating the planets' immune systems. Once awake, the planet's leukocytes will swarm and consume any invaders. Worse, the biotech of the planets can absorb the knowledge and powers of those it "eats," so spell-casting and miracle-working leukocytes are not uncommon.

Still, Nucleolus has riches for those who dare to gather them. The memories and knowledge of millions lie within the cells of these planet-sized lifeforms, and their organelles can produce wondrous substances. Rumors persist, however, that some of the planets are possibility-rated, and that it isn't colonizing other worlds in its cosm... it's colonizing and assimilating other cosms.

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:30 pm

• Magic 29 -- Wishes become predictable and reliable with proper training.
  • Social 26 -- Social structures seamlessly incorporate factions and societies even of a completely alien nature. Psionic powers of all kinds manifest commonly without assistance.
  • Spirit 7 -- Religious artifacts can be imbued with spiritual power as a result of divine agency. Rituals may affect non-participants, regardless of their beliefs. Miracles can heal mental trauma.
  • Tech 16 -- Coal engines provide power. Precision-machined parts enable pocket watches, bifocals, muskets, and rifling. Inoculation and anesthesia become common practice.

The City of Genies

Smaller than most cosms, the City of Genies should not be underestimated for the Genies can use magic almost instinctively to grant wishes, especially their own. Fortunately, they are loathe to exert themselves unless absolutely necessary, and they consider most outsiders beneath their notice. Still, they represent a potential resource that few can ignore. More than one High Lord's representatives have met their end negotiating with the fiery efreets or mercurial djinns.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”