On Read-Aloud Text

mattritchie

On Read-Aloud Text

Postby mattritchie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:26 pm

I'm in the process of putting together an adventure that I may eventually make available on the exchange, and I am just taking a quick survey from other GMs here.

Most adventures these days (TE included) tend to include read aloud text to set up each scene or (if an exploration-based adventure, like a dungeon) location.

(1) Do you actually read, verbatim the "read aloud" text in adventures? Or do you paraphrase?
(2) If an adventure were to just give a description of the players' surroundings and situation as a part of setting up a Torg scene, would that be equally valuable, or do you like the read aloud format?

- Matt

Gargoyle

Re: On Read-Aloud Text

Postby Gargoyle » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Never liked the read aloud text boxes. I'd rather have a description I can paraphrase. It forces me to comprehend the adventure ahead of time, and feels more natural. Also with a long text box, the players tend to get impatient. That said, a really short text box here and there is fine.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:37 pm

mattritchie wrote:I'm in the process of putting together an adventure that I may eventually make available on the exchange, and I am just taking a quick survey from other GMs here.

Most adventures these days (TE included) tend to include read aloud text to set up each scene or (if an exploration-based adventure, like a dungeon) location.

(1) Do you actually read, verbatim the "read aloud" text in adventures? Or do you paraphrase?
(2) If an adventure were to just give a description of the players' surroundings and situation as a part of setting up a Torg scene, would that be equally valuable, or do you like the read aloud format?

- Matt

My preferences depend. If there's dialogue I very much prefer 'read aloud' text. I'm not good at coming up with dialogue on the fly. However, physical descriptions I generally prefer bullet point form.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

RamblingScribe

Postby RamblingScribe » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:42 pm

I go back and forth. I prefer short read aloud sections to long ones, and I often paraphrase or adapt on the fly, especially since often my players have questions before I'm done. The main advantage of read aloud text is to not leave out important details.

I generally prefer non interactive read aloud text as well, as I don't like to dictate pc actions or responses.

I do really like specifically worded answers to typical questions that players might have that give the correct level of detail and a little bit of the respondent's personality, especially for clue/quest dispensing characters.

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:12 am

I generally read those passage aloud word for word, though I may omit or change something if something the players did nullify something within box text (such as already identify something that was supposed to be a mystery in that encounter).

But I agree that these things should not be long and rambling.

Information that they can get from the NPC should be in bullet form. Bullets are great for GMs anyway to get an idea of the scene.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

DerHuthmacher

Postby DerHuthmacher » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:05 am

I am with TorgHacker on this.
Sometimes, if I cannot paraphrase, I read word for word but my experiences are that these texts take atmosphere out of the adventure if you are starting to tell a tale and/or the texts are rather long.

If I can do it, I tell my own version of the text, trying to stay as true to its content as possible.
---
Hell is where the heart is.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”