Question about oTorg five realms

RamblingScribe

Question about oTorg five realms

Postby RamblingScribe » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:04 am

I know that the oTorg five realms game is mostly viewed as one of the silly aspects that everyone is glad was dropped in Torg E. However, I am adapting the idea for my home game, and I think I can make it cool. Except I don't actually know what the big reveal about it ended up being. Can someone point me to that info? Even just tell me where to find it, since I now have PDFs of all the oTorg sources.

In case anyone is interested, my group are starting as core earth humans who prior to day one we're recruited to consult for a MMORPG called Reality Storm. They were all working from home on this project and never met their employers. They were invited to a concert where they would meet as a group in person for the first time, and the invasion started before their employers showed up. Reality Storm was based on the five realms rpg from the 90's, which pretty much tanked, and almost no one knows it existed. Reality storm was being developed under strict NDA s, so as far as the PCs know, no one else is aware of this. They are trying to track down their employers.

I probably won't end up tying it directly to the oTorg version since I have my own plan, but I am using this as a beginning for an organization separate from the Delphi Council.

ZorValachan

Re: Question about oTorg five realms

Postby ZorValachan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:22 am

War's End
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Specifically page 110 in War's End:
► Show Spoiler

RamblingScribe

Postby RamblingScribe » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:43 pm

Thanks! I don't think it's a terrible outcome if you accept the premise, but kind of unexciting. I think I will use my plan instead.

► Show Spoiler

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:16 pm

RamblingScribe wrote:Thanks! I don't think it's a terrible outcome if you accept the premise, but kind of unexciting. I think I will use my plan instead.

That strikes me as much more interesting than the oTorg version. Though who knows if that's what was really planned or not, or if there was any plan at all. War's End is basically one long sequence of trying to tie off innumerable plot threads, most of which don't get much space as a result.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:35 pm

To paraphrase from a movie I hated, "Silly is as silly does." I never saw the game-in-a-game as silly. I did appreciate the humor it offered, but I most liked the idea of the PC's getting a chance to learn the quantitative rules of the metareality through a game. It felt like Apeiros was trying to teach a bunch of cubs to hunt by introducing them to hide-and-seek. Nobody complains when a video game NPC tells their character, "Push the (B) button to activate..." And as long as I was in gaming groups, my friends and I would make gaming references to real life events, as I bet most of the readers of this forum do (my favorites were referring to a particularly bad day as "having my reality check bounce" or blaming my poor situation on being overly multiclassed).

MalicWanderer

Postby MalicWanderer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:52 am

Savioronedge wrote: ... Nobody complains when a video game NPC tells their character, "Push the (B) button to activate..." ...

My favorite example has the main character reply with "button? What button? What are you on about you crazy old man?" Also Chroma squad, where npcs occasionally address "hey you, yes, you, the one playing the video game," while the MCs ask each other "who on earth are they talking to?"

Point being, I love when the silliness of that kind of thing is actively played up and lampshaded. I'll usually look past it when it's not, but there is a time and a place for it. Imagine if Lucas had pulled an emperor's new groove "remember who the protagonist is here" in star wars or willow.

Of course, I also didn't care for apeiros much in what I read of oTorg. Just because I always tend to prefer my metaphysics mysterious and my in universe explanations unconfirmed and preferably unconfirmable.

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:01 pm

I think Apeiros and the Nameless One (what an oxymoron) are best left as unknowable mysteries rather than personified. They're really not needed and take the focus off more interesting characters. I get what they were going for in War's End but since it was so sudden it was like what you'd see when your favorite long running TV show is cancelled and the writer's have to scramble.

I'm not sure I'd want multiples of characters either in my game, but I'm not totally against it. "Core Earth" does make it sound like there are multiple Earth's out there, that is, not just near Earth's like Terra's and Gaea's but some Earth's that are very close to to the same as Core Earth, and that the word "Core" is used to describe the one with the most possibility energy. That concept means that there are likely near clones of the Storm Knights running around, perhaps evil versions with goatees in one version, or differently gendered versions in another. So it's all very interesting, but there is so much you can do with the realms and worlds we've seen already, it could take some of the focus off the main setting. I don't know what the official plan is, but IMC I'm planning to have Quinn be the one and only, and that he came from oTorg with the help of a certain Dr and her Kadandran tech. I just feel like characters are more special that way.

I'm being very careful about what I'm adding...of course I haven't started my campaign either (waiting for the physical books and cards because I don't want to pay to print them and don't plan to run online) so who knows, maybe it will get wild and weird quick. Players tend to make it that way when you give them some agency, which I plan to do. I do like that certain places are being cordoned off, like the Canadian LL zones, so we can develop them without fear of official material conflicting. And I hope that U.S. eventually specifies some areas of Core Earth for that purpose too, so I can freely eventually drop a maelstrom bridge somewhere from a cosm of my own creation. I know I'm not a slave to the canon, but I do plan on purchasing very damn thing they make for TE. :)
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

RamblingScribe

Postby RamblingScribe » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:52 pm

Mainly a reply to Gargoyle, but an elaboration on my earlier post.
► Show Spoiler

Gargoyle

Postby Gargoyle » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:42 pm

RamblingScribe wrote:Mainly a reply to Gargoyle, but an elaboration on my earlier post.
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”