Share your Torg Eternity characters and archetypes!

QuarrelBlue

Re: Share your Torg Eternity characters and archetypes!

Postby QuarrelBlue » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:21 pm

Archetype_Charredbone_Shredder
Cosm: Living Land (Magic: 1, Social: 7, Spirit: 24, Tech: 6)
Attributes: Charisma 6, Dexterity 8, Mind 6, Spirit 10, Strength 10
Skills: Dodge 10 (12), faith 11, intimidation 12, maneuver 11, melee weapons 9 (11), missile weapons 10, reality 11, survival 7, unarmed combat 11 (13)
Move: 8 (24); Tough: 13 (2); Shock: 10; Wounds: 3
Equipment: Bone Marked (Tough +2), Claws (Strength +3/13, Armor Piercing 2), Holy Symbol/Totem, Hrockt Shoot Spear (x2) (Strength +2/12, Ammo 1, Range 10/20/40, Thrown), Hrockt-Shoot Shield (Def +2, Min Str 7+, Jakatt), Primitive Survival Kit (Survival is Favored in wilderness), Shield Bash (Strength +1/11, Jakatt), Steracalla Bulbs (x3) (+2 tests to heal)
Wealth: \425
Perks: Bone Marked, Death Claw
Possibilities: 3
Special Abilities:
Outsider: -4 Persuasion vs. everyone.

You are born as the Bone Marked, with overgrown bony shell which even your fellow Edeinos see macable and loathsome.
Everyone shunned you. Except one optant.
The optant gave you care and protection, taught you how to live, and helped you conquer and harness your inner death with the Death Claw ritual.
But, your mentor was killed for blaming Baruk Kaah as corrupting Lanala's way. You barely survived, thanks to your tempered bony shell and death-forged claws. Now you seek to right the wrong!

ShirtlessOBrien

Postby ShirtlessOBrien » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:49 am

These two are more thought experiments in pushing the boundaries than things you would play in a serious campaign, but nonetheless:

Rasus Krast, the Jesus Lizard (Core Earth Edeinos)
Strength 6 Dexterity 7 Mind 6 Charisma 6 Spirit 15
Toughness 10 (4 from armour)
Faith +3 (18), Intimidation +3 (18), Kinesis +3 (18), Reality +3 (18), Dodge +1 (8), Fire Combat +1 (8) , Profession (Televangelist) +1 (7), Persuade +1 (7)
Miracles (Ward Enemy, Healing, Bless)
Psionics (Telekinesis, Pyrokinesis, Strangle)
Equipment: M-16, kevlar vest, business suit, briefcase, mobile phone, Bible.
Quote: "Sweet baby Jesus send down the blessed fire of the Second Amendment to PURIFY these sinners!"

Rasus Krast was an Optant of great faith. Not of great size, or intelligence, or even charisma, but his faith in Lanala was astounding. So astounding that he charged alone across the cosm boundary into Core Earth to destroy Lanala's enemies in the sure and certain knowledge that Lanala would preserve him. However the reality storms along the way transformed him into a Core Earth televangelist and replaced his faith in Lanala with faith in far right wing, muscular, gun-toting Prosperity Gospel evangelical Protestantism and psychic powers. Now he fights for the USA with an M-16, holy fire and miracles of the sweet baby Jeezus.

Rasus is relatively easy to hit and damage, although his armour helps, but his Soak rolls are amazing so as long as he saves his Possibilities for defence he is very hard to kill and is he does get hurt he can heal himself back up quickly. He has an M-16 because it is His Right As An American but he can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. However his Intimidation interaction attack is off the hook, his Pyrokinesis is as powerful as a gun at short range for clearing up mooks, his Strangle can put serious damage on bosses, and his Telekinetic strength on a typical roll is a solid ten which enables lots of cinematic shenanigans.

With thirty experience points or so he can afford the Storm Caller perk which combined with Reality 18 should make short work of most reality-rated opponents that an Alpha clearance operative will encounter.

Advancement (first 50xp): (5xp) Negation, (1xp) +1 Dodge, (1xp) +1 Unarmed, (7xp) Prodigy, (2xp) +2 Fire Combat, (2xp) +2 Dodge, (2xp) +2 Unarmed, (9xp) Tenacious, (11xp) Storm Caller, (4xp) +4 Reality, (5xp) +5 Reality

Minmax Meataxe, Tharkoldu gladiator
Strength 13 Dexterity 5 Mind 5 Charisma 5 Spirit 12
Dodge +3 (8), Melee Weapons +3 (8), Intimidation +2 (14), Kinesis +1 (13), Apportation +3 (15), Conjuration +3 (15), Reality +1 (13)

Magic: Bullet, Mage Hands, Fireball
Occultech: Vav Sensation Suppressor, Zan Slashers, Digan Darksight Eyes, Thav Weapon Mount

Equipment: Impact Hammer, Diffrax Shield. Diffrax Plate

Born to be a battle-thrall in the gladiator pits of Minmax, Meataxe was raised knowing nothing except blowing things up with magic and taking a beating. Then he escaped or something, blah blah backstory, and now he kills things for the Delphi Council. Or tanks them while other people kill them.

Because of his Vav Sensation Suppressor and 16 Toughness, he takes no damage at all from damage results of 15 or less and only one Shock from results of 16-20, and in addition only suffers one Shock instead of two if a spell fails. Plus he has a huge twelve Shock so he is unlikely to run out. His defences are 10 thanks to his shield, which is not all that bad, so enemies will not often get bonus damage dice against him.

His first buy with experience points will be the Psionic perk for Mend (so even if he does get hurt he recovers afterwards), Telekinetic Barrier (for another +1 to +3 to defences) and Strangle. Telekinesis combined with the Pain Gauntlet (established as a legal combo by the Resistance Fighter archetype in the core set) is a potentially interesting option to replace Strangle, but MM's low Mind score means it wouldn't do much damage. But Telekinesis is such a flexible and interesting ability I find it hard to ever pass it up.

Offensively he has a base attack skill of 15 with Bullet or Fireball spells for base 13 or 14 damage which is extremely respectable. He can also try to hit with his Impact Hammer for a whopping 17 damage, but with only 8 skill it will take luck, Possibilities or a Vulnerable enemy to make it land reliably.

Of course he is both boring and useless outside of combat, so he is best suited to the kind of campaign that is just a railroad job between unavoidable fight scenes where playing a near-mindless, indestructible brute has no downsides. (cough) TheGodBox (cough) In campaigns where you want to solve problems outside of combat or play someone who isn't pathologically dim and uncharismatic Minmax Meataxe won't be much fun.

Here Comes The Flood

Postby Here Comes The Flood » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:03 pm

ShirtlessOBrien wrote:Of course he is both boring and useless outside of combat, so he is best suited to the kind of campaign that is just a railroad job between unavoidable fight scenes where playing a near-mindless, indestructible brute has no downsides. (cough) TheGodBox (cough) In campaigns where you want to solve problems outside of combat or play someone who isn't pathologically dim and uncharismatic Minmax Meataxe won't be much fun.

Sick burn! :)
“When the night shows, the signals grow on radios
All the strange things, they come and go, as early warnings…”

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:44 pm

The Cyber-Lizard Warlock, Starting PC
(though maybe not a very good one!)

This was a character I made for one of my players, who loves playing non-humans, especially if they have scales. He's also big into cyberpunk and transhumanism in general. So here is an edeinos that wandered through some tunnels and ended up in the Cyberpapacy, where it subsequently transformed and became a Resistance fighter. The character (named Icon by the player) was a big hit with him, although the character's abilities start off rather uneven. It has claws and a big sword, but isn't super-tough or strong or skilled in melee. Because of the minimum skill requirements on the better spells, it ended up as a much more of a spellcaster than anything else.

I figure "Icon" eschews the usual sulking around in the Cyberpapacy - he can't hide for crap, looking like a cybernetically-enhanced lizard man. Instead he favors more directly confrontational spells and smash-and-grab tactics. The HallowMesh Robes are re-named Irimesh clothing, the MAS Judgement Pistol is a slightly boosted Glock as I recall, and the Power Sword is a re-named electric katana.

Cosm: Cyberpapacy (Magic: 14, Social: 18, Spirit: 16, Tech: 26)
Attributes: Charisma 6, Dexterity 8, Mind 7, Spirit 11, Strength 8/9
Skills: Apportation 14, computers 8, conjuration 14, dodge 10, find (f) 7, fire combat 10, melee weapons 10, reality 12, streetwise 7, tracking (f) 7, unarmed combat 9
Interactions: Intimidation 11, maneuver 8, taunt 6, trick 7
Dodge Defense: 10; Melee: 10; Unarmed: 9
Move: 8 (24); Tough: 10 (2); Shock: 11; Wounds: 3
Equipment: Claws (Strength +2/10), Hacked GodNet Smart Phone, HallowMesh Robes (Tough +2), MAS Judgement Pistol (Damage 14, Range 10/20/30, Small), Power Sword (Strength +4/13, Armor Piercing 2), CyberHam Encrypted Comms (Can communicate silently), HardPlas Arm (Arm gains +1 Strength and +2 Armor), Belleview Low-Light MK II (Ignore 2 points of darkness penalties), Belleview 20-20 Cyber Eye (Find, Tracking are Favored), Trigon Integrated Weapon Mount (Conceals weapon or item within body. Item: MAS Judgement Pistol)
Perks: Cyberware Implants, Spellcaster (electromagnetic pulse [EMP], lightning, portal)
Special Abilities:
Outsider: -4 Persuasion vs. non-edeinos.

The Mystic Stage Magician, Starting PC
This was another character made for another of my players, a translation of the hero that he had created for a Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game set during WWII. In that game, the Red Kestrel was a Turkish-American performer who did stage shows as a magician; he had the powers of hypnotism and could move objects - including himself! - with his mind. I really struggled to fit Flight in here while keeping the character a well-rounded pulp hero, but in the end I figured he could pick flying up via the Pulp Power with the 1st XP reward. In any case, in the Nile his mind-powers are essentially magic.

The sword cane is a short sword that's normally concealed. Post-Nile Empire Sourcebook, he should also have a mask (+2 armor within the Nile's reality).

Cosm: Nile Empire (Magic: 14, Social: 20, Spirit: 18, Tech: 20)
Attributes: Charisma 6, Dexterity 8, Mind 9, Spirit 9, Strength 8
Skills: Alteration 10, apportation 12, dodge 10, fire combat 9, intimidation 10, lockpicking 9, melee weapons 9, reality 10, scholar 10, taunt 7, willpower 12
Interactions: Intimidation 10, maneuver 8, taunt 7, trick 9
Dodge Defense: 10; Melee: 9; Unarmed: 8
Move: 8 (24); Tough: 8; Shock: 9; Wounds: 3
Equipment: Disguise Kit, Flashlight, Handcuffs, Healing Potion (restores 1 Wound, 1 BD Shock), Hemp Rope, 10 meters, Lighter, Lock Picks, Radio Receiver, Sword Cane (Strength +2/10, Concealed), Tracking Device
Perks: Mind Control (Gain ability to control others. Take again for +1 enhancement), Spellcaster (bullet, fear, mage hands)

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:04 am

The Burning Skull, Starting PC

Mild-mannered musician by day, vengeful vigilante by night! When <insert name here> dons the demon-possessed skull mask, they are transformed into... the Burning Skull! With a skull for a head and magical fire for eyes, the Burning Skull can gaze upon the wicked and wrack their very souls! However, the fiend that is trapped within the mask exacts a heavy price for the use of its powers!

So obviously a bit of a Ghost Rider-like character, though also inspired a bit by the Timely/Marvel Golden Age character, The Blazing Skull. All of the characters' powers are tied up into the "mask." When transformed, this dark avenger causes fear to all who view them, can see in the dark, and can sniff out those that might try to hide from them. But the burning gaze/fear attack doesn't work if the hero is Vulnerable or Stymied, causes Shock damage when activated, and will Wound the hero on a Mishap (the demon lashing out at its host). Luckily, the Burning Skull carries a pistol for backup.

The large number of limitations was made possible only by the expanded list in the Nile Empire Sourcebook. The options therein allow for some really interesting ways to make a power distinctive. Kudos to Deanna & co.! All the limitations also provide good options for the Pulp Upgrade perk at Beta - perhaps the force within the mask could be "tamed," removing the Wound on Mishap and Causes Shock limits.

The skull mask started off as a Nile Weird Science mask, but I liked the idea that it was this demon-possessed mystical artifact instead. As the character didn't have much to spend their money on, I figured I could "upgrade" it and remove the Nile-only restriction. Essentially it’s like one of those empowered ankhs, but it has the axioms of an enchanted item instead of a holy one. Naturally, the character only benefits from the mask's protection when wearing it, and wearing it has consequences for the character’s ability to blend in.

Cosm: Nile Empire (Magic: 14, Social: 20, Spirit: 18, Tech: 20)
Attributes: Charisma 7, Dexterity 8, Mind 7, Spirit 10, Strength 8
Skills: Dodge 10, find 8, fire combat 10, intimidation 12, persuasion 8, profession (musician) 8, reality 11, streetwise 8, taunt 8, unarmed combat 9, willpower 13
Interactions: Intimidation 12, maneuver 8, taunt 8, trick 7
Dodge Defense: 10; Melee: 8; Unarmed: 9
Move: 8 (24); Tough: 10 (2); Shock: 10; Wounds: 3
Equipment: Fiery Fear Gaze (Damage 10, Range 10/-/-, Ignores Armor), Mauser Pistol (Damage 13, Ammo 10, Range 10/25/40), Possessed Skull Mask (Tough +2, Full Body, Req Magic 14), Unarmed Strike (Strength +0/8), Guitar, Lighter, Sunglasses
Perks: Fear (Aura, Lethal, Control; Limits: Can't Have Conditions, Wounds on Mishap, Gear, Causes Shock), Super Sense (Hyper-Awareness, Dark-Sight)
Special Abilities:
Fear: Willpower test or Very Stymied.

Advancements:
  • Vengeful (5 XP)
  • Intimidation 13 (3 XP)
  • Fear (Range) (7 XP)
  • Willpower 14 (4 XP)
  • Taunt 9 (2 XP)
  • Fire Combat 11 (3 XP)

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:42 am

How would one go about making a Tarzan-ish archetype? There are plenty of related feats in both the LL and Nile. Tarzan was such an all-around awesome dude (as are many pulp protagonists) that I find it hard to pick just a subset of the attributes, skills, and perks - and still make it playable out of the gate.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:07 pm

Spatula wrote:How would one go about making a Tarzan-ish archetype? There are plenty of related feats in both the LL and Nile. Tarzan was such an all-around awesome dude (as are many pulp protagonists) that I find it hard to pick just a subset of the attributes, skills, and perks - and still make it playable out of the gate.

TBH, this is one of the problems with having a game where there is substantial advancement rules (like Torg Eternity, D&D, etc) vs. games where your character is pretty much what you wanted right from the start, and advancement is minor (e.g. Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, Firefly, etc).

Having substantial advancement means that often your characters start out weaker than you might expect. For instance I really tried to see if I could get a Captain America "super soldier" archetype to fit in right from the start, but he's just really good in all aspects that it really wasn't capable of doing that. He'd need a 13-14 Strength, 13-14 Dex, 13 Spirit, high charisma, and only his MInd would be a 'weak' point and even that would be average at worst.

I worked with a Super Soldier Perk for awhile but dumped it because it was crazy OP, and just had to accept that Captain America was probably Gamma Clearance.

Tarzan's probably the same way.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:36 pm

I guess the key is when you get right down to it, what is it that makes Tarzan "Tarzan"? A lot of his kit is just being a badass dude which doesn't separate him from other heroes too much... Perhaps communicating with animals without using any miracles or powers?

As for Super Soldier you could always go with a Meta Perk kind of like Dragon Warrior or Electric Samurai where you add new Perks to it over time, and even have specific Beta and Gamme perks for when you get to full Cap levels. But that wouldn't all fit on a single Archetype sheet...

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:42 pm

TorgHacker wrote:TBH, this is one of the problems with having a game where there is substantial advancement rules (like Torg Eternity, D&D, etc) vs. games where your character is pretty much what you wanted right from the start, and advancement is minor (e.g. Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, Firefly, etc).

Having substantial advancement means that often your characters start out weaker than you might expect. For instance I really tried to see if I could get a Captain America "super soldier" archetype to fit in right from the start, but he's just really good in all aspects that it really wasn't capable of doing that. He'd need a 13-14 Strength, 13-14 Dex, 13 Spirit, high charisma, and only his MInd would be a 'weak' point and even that would be average at worst.

I worked with a Super Soldier Perk for awhile but dumped it because it was crazy OP, and just had to accept that Captain America was probably Gamma Clearance.

Tarzan's probably the same way.

Sure, I get that (and the ability to create the "real" character out of the gate is one aspect I really admire about the Cortex+ games). I'm just wondering what "takes" people have on the archetype, given those constraints, because there's so many directions one could go in, or so many different areas of focus.

I was messing around with a Gamma-level character that used Cosm Adaptation to gain either Savagery or Pulp Powers perks (depending on starting cosm) but there's so many relevant perks that the cost gets out of hand pretty fast.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Here's my initial take... The name is based off of Marvel's Tarzan expie, Ka-zar. I made him from the Living Land because while you can do Tarzan with Pulp Powers, the focus is a bit different and there aren't as many supporting perks. I suppose you would be investing your perks in enhancing your powers, if you went that route.

The one big downside is his Mind is low-average, and Survival and Tracking are based off of it (missing the oTorg Mind/perception split here). And they can be used unskilled, so any smarty-pants character will be better. So one of the first priorities for XP is boosting Mind, and later Charisma to get the Sabre-Tooth Cat buddy.

Ta-zar, Starting Character
Cosm: Living Land (Magic: 1, Social: 7, Spirit: 24, Tech: 6)
Attributes: Charisma 6, Dexterity 9, Mind 6, Spirit 8, Strength 11
Skills: Beast Riding 10, dodge 11, intimidation 10, melee weapons 11, missile weapons 11, reality 10, survival 9, tracking 8
Interactions: Intimidation 10, maneuver 9, taunt 6, trick 6
Dodge Defense: 11; Melee: 11; Unarmed: 9
Move: 9 (27); Tough: 12; Shock: 8; Wounds: 3
Equipment: Bone Knife (Strength +1/12, Fragile, Small), Hrockt Shoot Spear (Strength +2/13, Ammo 1, Range 10/20/40, Thrown), Rawhide Quiver, Redthorn Arrowhead (x15) (Painful), Rock Bolo (Strength +1/12, Ammo 1, Range 10/20/30, Grapple), Sinew Bow (Damage 11, Ammo 1, Range 10/30/60, Min Str 7+, Two Handed)
Perks: Hardy, Jungle Master

Horse
Tech: 3; Top Speed: 50 mph (11) Fast; Passengers: 1; MR: 0; Wounds: 1; Tough: 13

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”