Ingenious Perk Analysis

lurkingowl

Ingenious Perk Analysis

Postby lurkingowl » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:54 pm

It looks like you can use the Nile Ingenious perk to usually draw the whole Destiny deck. I'm not suggesting anyone does this, just that it's possible. I think I'm going to house rule Ingenious to only during Combat/DSR, and only once per round.

With a party of 4 and one Ingenious character with a 13 MND:
Spending a Possibility on Ingenious gives you ~2 Destiny cards.
You can usually (~2/3rds of the time) spend an Action, Supporter or Willpower card to draw (but not keep) an extra Destiny card.

15 cards is a quarter of the Destiny deck, so the 16 cards your group starts with includes:
~3 "+3" cards, which let you draw ~1 card each
~2 Hero/Drama cards, which let you draw ~2 cards each
~1 Martyr/Nemesis, which let you draw ~3 cards each
~1 Transfer, Rally, Inspire or Master Plan, which let the group draw ~5+ cards each.

That's ~(3+4+3+5=15) cards drawn for the 15 cards you started with, which you can then use to draw ~15 more cards, etc.
You have your starting Possibilities to draw ~6 more cards and smooth over any rough patches.

A double or triple deck doesn't help much here. Once you've gotten through the whole deck, the discards are "richer" since the cards that aren't helping draw more cards are staying in players hands (some are discarded by Ingenious though.) So it's easier the second time through and you can start keeping Hero/Drama/Inspire cards and eventually just loop the whole deck and arbitrarily many Possibilities into your hands.

TorgHacker

Re: Ingenious Perk Analysis

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:35 pm

Hmmmmmm...

:?

Well, that wasn't the intent, but apparently we're not going to errata it.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Greymarch2000

Postby Greymarch2000 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:56 pm

Hey, each Kickstarter adds 5 more cards. Can't get them all eventually!

Doomweber

Postby Doomweber » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:17 pm

Well, yes, the party can go through the deck quickly using the perk, but every use costs a possibility, so it somewhat limited. However, what I really wanted to say is there was a similar problem in the original Torg. My party would use the old Rally card (All party members discard any/all cards and immediately refill their hands) and then Master Plan it, only to use it again next round (or this round with critical moments, etc.). This was going through 20/30 cards per round. I remember the night where the players actually amassed the entirety of the old 150 card deck in their hands/pools. I learned that I needed to either accept the card play for what it was or house rule a change. The main problem was that it took about 40 minutes just playing the cards and not the game and took the flow to a complete stop. So I decreed that the Rally card could only be Master Planed once per adventure. I felt that this did not completely take the "fun" out of the card play, but helped keep the flow of the game going. I guess what I'm saying is every group is going to find some crack in the game balance, and a good GM and player group can find a balance that helps the game play without "taking away" something that a player wanted.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”