Creative Interpretation of Text as Given – Reality-Rated Individuals in Untouched Cosms

OldCoot

Re: Creative Interpretation of Text as Given – Reality-Rated Individuals in Untouched Cosms

Postby OldCoot » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:28 pm

Spatula wrote:As to your other point, in my mind pretty much all possibility/reality skill stuff is unconscious from the POV of the character, including modern-day Possibility War Storm Knight characters. That's how the old novels were written and I suppose that informs my perception of how it works. Though I imagine once you're getting into some of the upper-level Reality perks like Storm Caller, or using reality to uproot stelae, the character would have to be somewhat aware of what they're doing.

It seems to me that the interpretation that 'Reality use is subconscious' only goes so far. Certainly before the invasion, when there aren't proper stormers, and there is no conceptual framework for it in Core Earth, I agree that would be the case. And even in the awakening-crisis-moments and for a while thereafter, it would come as an automatic thing, interpreted and used more as an extension of already-known skills, religion, etc. However, from that moment, the stormer is aware they are doing things that are just not normal. Also, the game has Reality as an entirely separate skill from Faith, or any of the combat/psionic/magical skills.

All that implies to me that by the time a stormer has more than one or two adds in Reality, they are aware and conscious of something going on that transcends normal experience, and have some deliberate mental/spiritual construct to explain and develop it - not just an 'explanation' for the weird stuff, but something that enables them to be more effective and directed when using possibility energy. Player characters exposed to the Delphi Council will have received some kind of information that provides that common framework. Stormers from other realms (and Core Earthers undiscovered by the Council) will have got similar training/information from somewhere else (in many cases probably in a master-apprentice setting). It may not be as precise and detailed as game terms, but they know they're able to alter reality and do the other things, which is not something most people can do, even world champions and masters of any profession.
"Praise the Lord from the earth, Ye dragons who serve His Word;
For fiery praise is fit to raise To the Maker of Heaven and Earth"

-Kemper Crabb (para Ps 148)

Sword of Spirit

Re: Creative Interpretation of Text as Given – Reality-Rated Individuals in Untouched Cosms

Postby Sword of Spirit » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:16 pm

I prefer the unconscious reality manipulation angle (though after the invasion, people would understand why stuff works for them--"I'm the action hero because reality itself bends around me? Cool!"). The exceptions would be Perks like Storm Caller that seem to clearly be consciously directed.

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:05 pm

My 2 pennies.
I don't think reality-rating is needed for great heros such as Achilles, etc. (If they existed at all in your CE). Axioms might have been higher in magic... Just look at Lanala.. very very powerful non-reality rated goddess.

Since it is the disconnection that prevents possibility use, I'd allow ords to use the hero/drama cards. They can already use possibilities from the GM beta pool. If they disconnect, then they can't, cannot reconnect and eventually transform.

In TE there isn't the separate damage chart for ords, so it's not as bad as in OT
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:03 am

I have a knock-on question here which is this: Where do reality rated invaders (and allies) come from? Do they all transcend "off-world" either as part of an invading force at some point, or aiding defenders on Core Earth? Are none of the Mystery Men on Terra reality rated?

This seems to be implied by The Day of Silence material in the Cyberpapcy book. No more pagan miracles because there were no reality rated pagans (until Jean Malruex invaded core earth, and now this may be reversing).

I am asking because I have a player making a member of The Race as a PC, and I want to get a handle on where/when his moment of crisis happened (I like to know this about all my PCs) and if I am understanding this correctly, it must have happened after he arrived on Core Earth.

Thanks!

Grae

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:45 am

graethynne wrote:I have a knock-on question here which is this: Where do reality rated invaders (and allies) come from? Do they all transcend "off-world" either as part of an invading force at some point, or aiding defenders on Core Earth? Are none of the Mystery Men on Terra reality rated?

This seems to be implied by The Day of Silence material in the Cyberpapcy book. No more pagan miracles because there were no reality rated pagans (until Jean Malruex invaded core earth, and now this may be reversing).

I am asking because I have a player making a member of The Race as a PC, and I want to get a handle on where/when his moment of crisis happened (I like to know this about all my PCs) and if I am understanding this correctly, it must have happened after he arrived on Core Earth.

Thanks!

Grae

The first "Reality Conquest" a High Lord makes is his own cosm (except Mobius failed his and had to start in a new cosm). When Malraux imposed the Law of One True Way, there probably were a few Reality Rated individuals awakened, just none that had miracles, or none that survived the shock and subsequent attacks.

Your game: your rules, of course. But if you want an explanation, this one makes sense to me.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:39 am

graethynne wrote:I have a knock-on question here which is this: Where do reality rated invaders (and allies) come from? Do they all transcend "off-world" either as part of an invading force at some point, or aiding defenders on Core Earth? Are none of the Mystery Men on Terra reality rated?

Thanks!

Grae

Transcendance does require some sort of conflict between realities. We don't really explicitly define exactly what that means. But...

The Mystery Men of Terra were reality-rated. We've also revealed that Terra was invaded in the past.

Essentially once a High Lord invades another cosm, reality-rated individuals are possible. Not nearly as many as on Core Earth though.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:41 am

Savioronedge wrote:
The first "Reality Conquest" a High Lord makes is his own cosm (except Mobius failed his and had to start in a new cosm). When Malraux imposed the Law of One True Way, there probably were a few Reality Rated individuals awakened, just none that had miracles, or none that survived the shock and subsequent attacks.

Your game: your rules, of course. But if you want an explanation, this one makes sense to me.

Mobius wasn't defeated trying to take Terra.

But you're correct on what happened with Malraux.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

QuarrelBlue

Postby QuarrelBlue » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:10 am

TorgHacker wrote:Transcendance does require some sort of conflict between realities. We don't really explicitly define exactly what that means. But...
The Mystery Men of Terra were reality-rated. We've also revealed that Terra was invaded in the past.
Essentially once a High Lord invades another cosm, reality-rated individuals are possible. Not nearly as many as on Core Earth though.

Now I'm wondering how the High Lords meet their Moment of Crisis, even before starting their invasion. Can I assume that an encounter with a Darkness Device counts as "conflict between realities"? Even if the Device already had the same reality as the would-be High Lord?
(Provided the contract with the Device counts as a "moral choice")

GeniusCodeMonkey

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:33 pm

QuarrelBlue wrote:
TorgHacker wrote:Transcendance does require some sort of conflict between realities. We don't really explicitly define exactly what that means. But...

Now I'm wondering how the High Lords meet their Moment of Crisis, even before starting their invasion. Can I assume that an encounter with a Darkness Device counts as "conflict between realities"? Even if the Device already had the same reality as the would-be High Lord?
(Provided the contract with the Device counts as a "moral choice")

Is the Darkness Devices reality the same as the High Lord or does it take on the reality once it finds a mortal worth of being a High Lord?
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.

graethynne

Postby graethynne » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:10 pm

Gah! Yes of course! The Golden Kingdom! Thank you, I had forgotten.

All good here, except to ask, we don't have any evidence of Tharkold having been invaded right?

Thanks!

Grae

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”