Creative Interpretation of Text as Given – Reality-Rated Individuals in Untouched Cosms

Rabbitball

Re: Creative Interpretation of Text as Given – Reality-Rated Individuals in Untouched Cosms

Postby Rabbitball » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:43 am

graethynne wrote:All good here, except to ask, we don't have any evidence of Tharkold having been invaded right?

Thanks!

Grae

If Tharkold wasn't invaded, where did the demons come from? :o
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Savioronedge

Re: Creative Interpretation of Text as Given – Reality-Rated Individuals in Untouched Cosms

Postby Savioronedge » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:42 am

Rabbitball wrote:
graethynne wrote:All good here, except to ask, we don't have any evidence of Tharkold having been invaded right?

Thanks!

Grae

If Tharkold wasn't invaded, where did the demons come from? :o

My potentially incorrect interpretation is that the Technodemons invaded from within the Reality though outside the Planar existence of Tharkold. However as Deanna's reply to my earlier comment shows:
TorgHacker wrote:
Savioronedge wrote:
The first "Reality Conquest" a High Lord makes is his own cosm (except Mobius failed his and had to start in a new cosm). When Malraux imposed the Law of One True Way, there probably were a few Reality Rated individuals awakened, just none that had miracles, or none that survived the shock and subsequent attacks.

Your game: your rules, of course. But if you want an explanation, this one makes sense to me.

Mobius wasn't defeated trying to take Terra.

But you're correct on what happened with Malraux.

As soon as Kranod started playing with the Reality, stormers would have been awakened...not many, but enough to justify a Storm Knight whose MoC was in the home Cosm.

Sword of Spirit

Postby Sword of Spirit » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:06 pm

These sorts of issues are a great reason to go with my interpretation from the OP.

It's easy to combine Bending the Axioms (p.222) with the idea of opposed or conflicting realities by saying that bending an axiom is an example of conflicting realities, as is natural axiom increase (which presumably happens due to enough bending of them over time). And of those people who are doing the bending/increasing, a rare few of them (forward thinkers, prophets, great wizards, heroes of legends) become reality rated in these times and places of reality conflict.

Really, I can think of zero downside of this interpretation, and zero upside of ruling it out, unless there is some unrevealed secret in the metaplot that is intrinsically dependent on reality-rated individuals only coming to be when two actual separate cosms interact.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:51 am

Sword of Spirit wrote:These sorts of issues are a great reason to go with my interpretation from the OP.

It's easy to combine Bending the Axioms (p.222) with the idea of opposed or conflicting realities by saying that bending an axiom is an example of conflicting realities, as is natural axiom increase (which presumably happens due to enough bending of them over time). And of those people who are doing the bending/increasing, a rare few of them (forward thinkers, prophets, great wizards, heroes of legends) become reality rated in these times and places of reality conflict.

Really, I can think of zero downside of this interpretation, and zero upside of ruling it out, unless there is some unrevealed secret in the metaplot that is intrinsically dependent on reality-rated individuals only coming to be when two actual separate cosms interact.

I see natural Axiom bending and Axiom changes as a slow dance between the Everlaw of One and the Everlaw of Two. They proceed, stepping in and out of each other's space, pulling softly and steering each other gently into new configurations, slowly altering the tableau which they present. There is no conflict, no reason for anything else to get involved.

When Reality is threatened by an Invasion or by a Darkness Device pouring raw Possibility Energy into the Cosm, it's like giving the dancers swords...suddenly the Everlaw of Four has to play Marshal and keep the damages to a minimum, which is where Reality Rated individuals are made. The stronger the conflict between Realities or the more Power poured out of the Darkness Device, the more Stormers are made.

Personally, I prefer http://www.sdc.org/~ksjim/everlaw.html, but the designers have been explicit that this is not how Eternity works.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”