Nile Empire Kickstarter stretch goal PDFs going out

Padre
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: Nile Empire Kickstarter stretch goal PDFs going out

Postby Padre » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:53 am

Padre wrote:.
Under Neopaganism, I'm not familiar with Heathenism being used as a specific name for a religion. In my experience, the modern worship of the Norse God is called Asartu. But I could be wrong as this has only been an area of cursory study for me.

Update: I ran across this on the web.
http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2019060 ... e-religion
Last edited by Padre on Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Savioronedge
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: Nile Empire Kickstarter stretch goal PDFs going out

Postby Savioronedge » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:31 am

*Religions of Core Earth"

I have only just realized, and become slightly disappointed, that the Khemetic Faith received no mention in either the Nile Empire Sourcebook nor the Religions of Core Earth.

The followers in the Nile area would have converted to Aamatism as stated in the NES, however there is a significant following in the US, UK, and other English speaking countries. They could be lumped in with Neopagans, except their "spell list" should be more like the Aamatist list.

User avatar
TorgHacker
Posts: 4396
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Nile Empire Kickstarter stretch goal PDFs going out

Postby TorgHacker » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:35 am

Savioronedge wrote:*Religions of Core Earth"

I have only just realized, and become slightly disappointed, that the Khemetic Faith received no mention in either the Nile Empire Sourcebook nor the Religions of Core Earth.

The followers in the Nile area would have converted to Aamatism as stated in the NES, however there is a significant following in the US, UK, and other English speaking countries. They could be lumped in with Neopagans, except their "spell list" should be more like the Aamatist list.


Honestly, this is the first time I’ve even heard of that faith. There are over 4000 religions...I guarantee I missed a lot of them.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

User avatar
mistervimes
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:29 am
Location: Ankh Morpork

Re: Nile Empire Kickstarter stretch goal PDFs going out

Postby mistervimes » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:08 am

TorgHacker wrote:Honestly, this is the first time I’ve even heard of that faith. There are over 4000 religions...I guarantee I missed a lot of them.


January 2081: "Religions of Core Earth Vol. CCL: Yarsanism through Zurvanism"
"He was an unshaven collection of bad habits marinated in alcohol, morose, cynical and ridiculously soft-hearted. One of Nature's policemen; his soul burns to arrest the Creator for getting it wrong."" - (Terry Pratchett)

User avatar
Spatula
Posts: 973
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:00 pm

Re: Nile Empire Kickstarter stretch goal PDFs going out

Postby Spatula » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:20 am

For what it’s worth, it’s grouped in with Neopaganism by Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemetism

Savioronedge
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: Nile Empire Kickstarter stretch goal PDFs going out

Postby Savioronedge » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:35 pm

Spatula wrote:For what it’s worth, it’s grouped in with Neopaganism by Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemetism


This is a) why it took me so long to realize it wasn't mentioned, and b) why I am Only Mildly disappointed.

I believe I mentioned it when Deana was looking for assistance for RoCE, but that's honestly not important enough to look up.

It only bears separating from Neopaganism at all because a NeoKhemetic Preistess of Bast might need access to some other miracles, and a Priest of Osiris definitely can't use the Aamatist list.

However, between the NES and RoCE, decent GM to Player communication should solve any problems.

Kanaris
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Re: Nile Empire Kickstarter stretch goal PDFs going out

Postby Kanaris » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:34 pm

I'd heard of Asatru and other neo-Norse revivals, as well as neo-Celtic, but had no idea about Kemeticism or Hellenism - you have to marvel about the wondrous variety of religious practice and belief! I think Deanna has done a great job, both in summarising a tremendously difficult and divisive topic in an informative way, and in creating a great game supplement with cool new perks and miracles.

As a novice to the area, a few years ago I found the book "God is Not One" by Stephen Prothero a useful discussion of the major religions of the world, and in particular how those religions really are different.

darrell
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:28 pm

Re: Nile Empire Kickstarter stretch goal PDFs going out

Postby darrell » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:29 pm

Religions of Core Earth, page 12: "Islam is observed by over a billion people worldwide, mostly concentrated in North Africa, the Middle East, India..."

Not sure how this got missed, but India is NOT A Muslim nation (the majority are Hindu with less than 15% Muslim). PAKISTAN is a Muslim nation, with over 95% of the population following Islam.

There have been (will be) wars over this difference.
The entire screw up that was the British Partition of India revolved around this difference.

User avatar
Wotan
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Aysle (UK)

Re: Nile Empire Kickstarter stretch goal PDFs going out

Postby Wotan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:47 pm

darrell wrote:Religions of Core Earth, page 12: "Islam is observed by over a billion people worldwide, mostly concentrated in North Africa, the Middle East, India..."

Not sure how this got missed, but India is NOT A Muslim nation (the majority are Hindu with less than 15% Muslim). PAKISTAN is a Muslim nation, with over 95% of the population following Islam.

There have been (will be) wars over this difference.
The entire screw up that was the British Partition of India revolved around this difference.

While India isn't a Muslim nation, 2010 figures put it as the third highest Muslim population nation (~177 million), after Indonesia (~205 million) & Pakistan (~178 million).
Bangladesh is in 4th place (~149 million), so maybe RoCE is referring to the Indian sub-continent as a whole? Dunno. *shrug*

Edit: This page appears to have more recent figures for Muslim population by country (though I can't see a source for the figures cited anywhere obvious) it still has the same countries in the top 4 positions.
Non-denominational "Devil's Advocate"

GeniusCodeMonkey
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 2:35 am

Re: Nile Empire Kickstarter stretch goal PDFs going out

Postby GeniusCodeMonkey » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:58 am

Kanaris wrote:I'd heard of Asatru and other neo-Norse revivals, as well as neo-Celtic, but had no idea about Kemeticism or Hellenism - you have to marvel about the wondrous variety of religious practice and belief! I think Deanna has done a great job, both in summarising a tremendously difficult and divisive topic in an informative way, and in creating a great game supplement with cool new perks and miracles.

As a novice to the area, a few years ago I found the book "God is Not One" by Stephen Prothero a useful discussion of the major religions of the world, and in particular how those religions really are different.


People not fact checking or assuming a relationship between ethnicity and religion.

Which is quite bad, as when younger, I got a lot of my knowledge of the world and history from roleplaying games.
Question everything.
Politeness costs nothing.


Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests