Nile Empire Kickstarter stretch goal PDFs going out

Spatula

Re: Nile Empire Kickstarter stretch goal PDFs going out

Postby Spatula » Sat May 25, 2019 10:40 pm

This is probably a pain to correct, but the religion sections are organized in alphabetical order, except for Hinduism which comes after the "I"s. There's also a bunch of alphabetical order & other nitpicky issues in the miracle lists on page 23:

Buddhism: incognito before healing
Christianity (“Fire and Brimstone”): ward flames before walk on water
Indigenous Faiths: blind is not capitalized, Bounty is capitalized, period at end of list
Islam: holy water before hellfire, comma at end of list
Los Asangrados: bloodlust is not capitalized
(Los Asangrados had wither in the LL book, was it intended to take that away?)
Neopaganism: comma at end of list
Shinto: curse before cure disease & cure poison
Other Core Earth Religion: holy water before healing

Sword of Spirit

Postby Sword of Spirit » Sun May 26, 2019 3:58 am

Spatula wrote:"However, any test to make a physical attack suffers a -2 penalty." - who does this apply to? The hero or the attacker being talked about in the paragraph?

I was interpreting it as being a penalty the hero has just for having that Perk. That would make the Perk rather weak though--you have a behavioral restriction, a -2 to attacks, and the only thing the Perk gives you in exchange is another way to spend a Possibility. If it meant that it applies to the attacker in that situation then it would be more in line with where it probably should be.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun May 26, 2019 8:11 am

Just a general note, I'm not going to directly answer the questions that involve corrections, but I will use them to make the corrections. :-)

I'm just going to wait a few days for them to gather, but ... I think Spatula might have found almost all of them already. :lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sun May 26, 2019 11:38 am

There are definitely items I didn't catch, so more eyes are always welcome.

Religions of Core Earth, more alphabetical nitpicks:

Shinto should come before Sikhism in the Religious Scholar perk list on page 4, in the larger sections on each faith, and on the miracle lists on page 23.

Religious Scholar perk, page 4, Indigenous Religions: banish should come before dream.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun May 26, 2019 12:14 pm

Spatula wrote:There are definitely items I didn't catch, so more eyes are always welcome.

There are always items everyone doesn't catch. It's like a law of physics or something. :x
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Sun May 26, 2019 12:40 pm

Religious Scholar is a huuuuuge boost to Core Earth priests. For the "cost" of having 2 adds in Scholar you get 4 miracles, which don't overlap with any you might already have from the Miracles perk. Starting character can now start with 7 total, opening up access to a lot of utility choices.

I like that we now have the tools to reenact The Exorcist. :) :shock: :?

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Sun May 26, 2019 1:16 pm

Spatula wrote:Religious Scholar is a huuuuuge boost to Core Earth priests. For the "cost" of having 2 adds in Scholar you get 4 miracles, which don't overlap with any you might already have from the Miracles perk. Starting character can now start with 7 total, opening up access to a lot of utility choices.

I like that we now have the tools to reenact The Exorcist. :) :shock: :?

It's like it was intentional or something. ;-)

As for granting 4 miracles, generally speaking, at least one of the two required miracles isn't all that great or is very situational.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon May 27, 2019 2:22 am

Relics of Power:

POSSIBLE SPOILERS
► Show Spoiler

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon May 27, 2019 2:56 am

Relics of Power:

POSSIBLE SPOILERS
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Spatula on Mon May 27, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Padre

Postby Padre » Mon May 27, 2019 11:41 am

I really like the Core Earth Religions PDF and I think it's going to be a great resource for GMs. One of the things I always appreciated about OTorg was the respectful way it handled religion in the game and showed it as a force for good in the world and I think this is very solidly in this tradition. Also, now I want to build and play a Vatican Secret Service agent/combat exorcist. :lol:

I have a couple suggested edits for it, though. Some of this is technical and a bit pedantic, but I hope they make the final product better.

Under Tenets:
Second bullet: I would recommend changing it to "Jesus Christ is the Son of God, conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary."
This ties it back to the wording of the Apostles and Nicene Creeds which many, if not most, Christians will be familiar with. It will just read right to them. :)
Fifth Bullet: Change Godhead to God. Godhead is a more technical term that I only see used in specific circumstances.
Sixth Bullet: I'd probably drop eventually and directly and change to to into. "...and ascending into heaven." Again, tying the wording back to the Apostles Creed.
Seventh Bullet: Jehovah's is missing the final H. The Book of Revelation should be singular. (This is a fairly common mistake, but the book title refers to one specific revelation to the Apostle John.)
Eighth Bullet: Judgment is misspelled.

Under Neopaganism, I'm not familiar with Heathenism being used as a specific name for a religion. In my experience, the modern worship of the Norse God is called Asartu. But I could be wrong as this has only been an area of cursory study for me.

Padre

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”