Nile Empire Kickstarter stretch goal PDFs going out

Spatula

Re: Nile Empire Kickstarter stretch goal PDFs going out

Postby Spatula » Mon May 27, 2019 12:25 pm

Relics of Power:

POSSIBLE SPOILERS
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Spatula on Mon May 27, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Mon May 27, 2019 1:30 pm

I may have missed it, and if so I apologize for mentioning...

I didn't see any mention of Krishna in the Hindu section. In visiting with a monk at one of the temples (in the US) I was told that "Hindu" was the name their enemies gave them referring to the area they lived, and Krishna is the name of "GOD" who had many aspects, primary among them Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva; though all gamers owe appeasement to Lord Ghanesha.

This might explain Hinduism being out of alpha-order, as "Krishna/Hinduism" would come after the "i"s.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon May 27, 2019 1:40 pm

Relics of Power is awesome, BTW. Thumbs up! Well, they're all great but I'm really loving this adventure, especially now that I can see the structure that allows it to be split up with other adventures in-between. I feel like it's going to end up much better than the original trilogy, which had a great 1st adventure but kinda meh followups (especially the second one).

Format issue:
Religions of Core Earth, page 21, Bahá’í header, not all of the word is bolded.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon May 27, 2019 3:26 pm

Savioronedge wrote:I may have missed it, and if so I apologize for mentioning...

I didn't see any mention of Krishna in the Hindu section. In visiting with a monk at one of the temples (in the US) I was told that "Hindu" was the name their enemies gave them referring to the area they lived, and Krishna is the name of "GOD" who had many aspects, primary among them Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva; though all gamers owe appeasement to Lord Ghanesha.

This might explain Hinduism being out of alpha-order, as "Krishna/Hinduism" would come after the "i"s.

It is completely possible I missed something, especially in Hinduism. There's one thing I learned doing the research and that was how...complicated the world's religions are and I knew SFA about especially the eastern religions.

But no, it was out of order because I'm a nimrod. :lol:
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Mon May 27, 2019 3:30 pm

Spatula wrote:Relics of Power is awesome, BTW. Thumbs up! Well, they're all great but I'm really loving this adventure, especially now that I can see the structure that allows it to be split up with other adventures in-between. I feel like it's going to end up much better than the original trilogy, which had a great 1st adventure but kinda meh followups (especially the second one).

When the full adventure is out and ready to be compiled into one product we'll probably mention that it could be done bang-bang-bang...but because for now, it obviously can't be... it's important to have those breaks in there narratively.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Mon May 27, 2019 3:54 pm

Secrets of the Nile:

page 5, Hespera and Crete, 1st paragraph, 2nd sentence, "30" should be "30%".
page 6, Minotaur, "(G)" in name should be replaced by Gamma symbol.
page 7, Chimera, "(Β)" in name should be replaced by Beta symbol.
page 8, Hydra, "(Β)" in name should be replaced by Beta symbol.
page 8, Chimera and Hydra, Multiple Heads ability, taunt, trick, and intimidate should be italicized.
page 8, Hydra, empty bullet at end of ability list.
page 15, end of 2nd paragraph, ellipses has four periods.
page 15, Hosni Hajjar, Equipment, bulletproof vest normally is Torso-only and Fatigues.
page 15, Hosni Hajjar, Equipment, K08 Pistol has no attributes.
page 15, Hosni Hajjar, Looking for Trouble ability - why does his vest give a penalty to Dex-based tests? The regular bulletproof vest from the Nile book doesn't do that.
page 16, Hosni Hajjar, Tenacious ability, no period at end of sentence.
page 16, end of first column, "G r a n d C i c a i d a" should be un-justified perhaps.
page 16, Birgis Baz, Shock is 2 higher than normal, maybe he should have the Endurance perk?
page 16, Birgis Baz, Equipment, Thompson (gun) has no attributes.
page 16, Birgis Baz, Tenacious ability: Birgis doesn't have the Tenacious Perk and normally couldn't anyway as he's from the Nile. Maybe this was supposed to be for his Tough as Nails pulp power? (note: his Dex is too high to take the power normally, though of course as a GM character he can break the rules)

Toon Cosm

Postby Toon Cosm » Tue May 28, 2019 2:37 am

I skimmed through the Secrets of the Nile Empire, Relics of Power Act 1 and 2. There is a spoiler below for anyone not wanting to read ahead in the adventure.

Beside a lot of typos that will be caught when this doc is spellchecked, an NPC, Alice “Ghost” Burton, flips between "Burton" and "Barton" multiple times.

► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Toon Cosm on Tue May 28, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spatula

Postby Spatula » Tue May 28, 2019 12:12 pm

Savioronedge wrote:I may have missed it, and if so I apologize for mentioning...

Not knowing anything about this myself, I started poking around the internet, and it looks to me like while some people believe this it's not accepted all over. The Wikipedia page on Hinduism doesn't mention Krishna, and the Krishna page says the deity "is worshipped as the eighth avatar of the god Vishnu and also as the supreme God in his own right." I also found this, which has a lot of interesting answers about the "proper" name for the religion (though obviously who knows how accurate any of the answers are), ranging from the aforementioned perspective that Hindu is a bad word, to it's a fine word that's been commonly accepted, to the religion actually has no proper name, and so on.

I suppose that as an ancient religion that originated in a location that's interacted with lots of different cultures, Hinduism contains multitudes of beliefs, and a page or two couldn't hope to encompass them all.

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Tue May 28, 2019 12:41 pm

Bingo.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Tue May 28, 2019 4:06 pm

Spatula wrote:

Not knowing anything about this myself, I started poking around the internet, and it looks to me like while some people believe this it's not accepted all over. The Wikipedia page on Hinduism doesn't mention Krishna, and the Krishna page says the deity "is worshipped as the eighth avatar of the god Vishnu and also as the supreme God in his own right." I also found this, which has a lot of interesting answers about the "proper" name for the religion (though obviously who knows how accurate any of the answers are), ranging from the aforementioned perspective that Hindu is a bad word, to it's a fine word that's been commonly accepted, to the religion actually has no proper name, and so on.

I suppose that as an ancient religion that originated in a location that's interacted with lots of different cultures, Hinduism contains multitudes of beliefs, and a page or two couldn't hope to encompass them all.

This is indeed a fascinating area of study. Reading down the page linked above I see multiple answers to "Why are [they] called 'Hindu' if..." and every answer has a reason to be believed.

Frankly, I believe the modern Hindu people are much like modern Witches in this regard; some of them may prefer a different Word, some of them won't care, and some of them will revel in the name that others consider pejorative.

(As an exercise in related fun, try looking up data on the worship of AUM and UMA)

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”