Perk Compilation Guide

Doc Gordon

Perk Compilation Guide

Postby Doc Gordon » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:06 pm

I'm putting together a "Perks List by Realm" guide, compiling all of the Perks listed in all the books from the basic Kickstarter through to the Nile Empire, for which I was only able to afford the digital packages, but I received everything, to the best of my knowledge. The listing works starting with the overall perk, followed by the aspects of that Perk, the requirement to get it, and an abbreviated book title and page. I'm not including the definition of the bonus of that Perk for a few reasons, but certainly the requirements so my Player(s) won't be wasting time looking at something if they can't even get it, or which they can go read about and then set a goal for, if they like.

The question I put to all of you, today, is that I have included all of the Pulp Powers from the Torg Rulebook and Nile Empire Source, but I have NOT also put in Psionics, Spells, Miracles, or anything other than Pulp Powers; my reasoning is that those entries would not actually be Perks. Is my reasoning flawed and I should put in all those other things? Otherwise, should I remove the Pulp Powers from the list if I don't want to do the extra work? Or, am I right and should just drive on as-is?

Rabbitball

Re: Perk Compilation Guide

Postby Rabbitball » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:16 pm

It is kinda weird, because each individual pulp power is its own Perk, while the other "powers" give you multiples on the initial purchase. If I felt inclined to do such a project, I would take all of them and give a generic entry along the lines of:

Pulp Powers
Found on: Core Book pp. XXX, Nile Empire Sourcebook pp. XXX
Requirements: XXX
When you take this Perk, choose one of the pulp powers. You may modify it as per the rules found at the relevant sources.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Istrian

Postby Istrian » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:31 pm

Hmm, well, different Spells have different requirements. Likewise for Pulp Powers. It would make sense to include them as well. On the other hand, most of the time each character has their own spell list for those they have access to, and it doesn't take too long to pick new ones when you know it's what you want to get.

Atama

Postby Atama » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:12 pm

Spells, psionics, and miracles are certainly not Perks. There are Perks that grant certain numbers of them, but they are not themselves Perks and it makes no sense to include them in a list of Perks. If you do, you need to rename it to something else, otherwise your list is inaccurate.

Pulp Powers are actual Perks, and listed separately from one another in the Perks section, so you can’t equate them with spells, etc. Unless there are Perks that I am unaware that let you pick multiple Pulp Powers from a list.
“You are a bad person, and should feel bad.”
-TorgHacker (being tongue-in-cheek :D)

Doc Gordon

Postby Doc Gordon » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:20 pm

Rabbitball wrote:It is kinda weird, because each individual pulp power is its own Perk, while the other "powers" give you multiples on the initial purchase. If I felt inclined to do such a project, I would take all of them and give a generic entry along the lines of:

Pulp Powers
Found on: Core Book pp. XXX, Nile Empire Sourcebook pp. XXX
Requirements: XXX
When you take this Perk, choose one of the pulp powers. You may modify it as per the rules found at the relevant sources.
This is something I thought about doing, and may yet.
Atama wrote:Spells, psionics, and miracles are certainly not Perks. There are Perks that grant certain numbers of them, but they are not themselves Perks and it makes no sense to include them in a list of Perks. If you do, you need to rename it to something else, otherwise your list is inaccurate.
Very good point.

Pulp Powers are actual Perks, and listed separately from one another in the Perks section, so you can’t equate them with spells, etc. Unless there are Perks that I am unaware that let you pick multiple Pulp Powers from a list.
Okay, so you feel like maybe I have my list right, in listing the Pulp Powers but not Spells, Psionics, etc.?

I'm still uncertain I shouldn't go with the abbreviated list, similar to what Rabbitball laid out.

I would love to hear from more folks.

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:27 am

Doc Gordon wrote:I'm putting together a "Perks List by Realm" guide, compiling all of the Perks listed in all the books

Just in case it saves you trouble, I've already done the same thing. See link in my signature. It's very useful for keeping track of the stuff that pops up in weird places like Backer Archetypes.

The question I put to all of you, today, is that I have included all of the Pulp Powers from the Torg Rulebook and Nile Empire Source, but I have NOT also put in Psionics, Spells, Miracles, or anything other than Pulp Powers; my reasoning is that those entries would not actually be Perks.

Agreed completely. There's no simple "perk :: power" ratio; it varies. I gave each of those their own pages as well. Plus that makes it possible to include things like spell lists by school, Deanna's house rules for custom Mishaps, etc.
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Doc Gordon

Postby Doc Gordon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:52 am

Wow, thank you for the input and the link. :)

pkitty

Postby pkitty » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Doc Gordon wrote:Wow, thank you for the input and the link. :)

You're welcome! Once we get the final version of the Aysle book, I'll be adding that stuff. And my gods, there's a lot of it!
Our group's Torg Eternity wiki page
  • House rules, indexes of all perks/spells/etc, form-fillable character sheet, and more

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:07 pm

And some of my favorite spells were cut... ;)
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Doc Gordon

Postby Doc Gordon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:13 pm

pkitty wrote:
Doc Gordon wrote:Wow, thank you for the input and the link. :)

You're welcome! Once we get the final version of the Aysle book, I'll be adding that stuff. And my gods, there's a lot of it!
Oh, I know there will be, hehe!!! I've only had a brief time to look through your Torg Eternity web site, but everything I've seen so far just absolutely rocks. Thank you, again.

Rabbitball wrote:And some of my favorite spells were cut... ;)
Oh? It would be interesting to find those out and why they were cut, hehe.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”