Wish and Bane Lists

Kamelion

Re: Wish and Bane Lists

Postby Kamelion » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:58 am

The Light/Dark divide was not as you guys are remembering it.

In the UK, England was Light (apart from the good bit in the north-east, where I am from), as was Wales. Scotland and Northern Ireland were Dark.

Outside the UK, Ireland was Light. So was most of Sweden, northern Finland, and portions of central and northern Norway.

This gives us a truly patchwork realm, allowing for conflicts between Light and Dark all across the map, while also giving us Light and Dark heartlands.

In Eternity, I'd definitely like to see this continue, rather than a monolithic approach, with two obviously identifiable Light and Dark areas. That's just dull. Messy is interesting.
The name that can be named is not the true name.

DerHuthmacher

Postby DerHuthmacher » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:34 am

I have to agree to both points:

a) I remembered it differently - but that might have to do with the vikings and the giants who were (in my memory at least evil dark and all coming from Skandinava.

b) Messy is better. Still Aysle is the realm I have personally problem with imaginating it. I'll probably start a thread about it so you guys can help me.
---
Hell is where the heart is.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:38 pm

My "main" OTorg campaign had the L40 triangle flip about 3 months in, which made for a much more "interesting" Aysle.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

ZorValachan

Postby ZorValachan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:04 pm

Spatula wrote:Well, the thing with Aysle's and Uthorion's backstory has always been that Uthorion was conquering it with the Gaunt Man's help as his first conquest. The Carredon was (is?) the Gaunt Man's pet. In oTorg, Uthorion went on to conquer other worlds for centuries before coming to Core Earth.

I thought the possession was a good trick, though given that it happens & is also undone before the game starts, it maybe feels a little superfluous now. I guess it sets up the status quo where Norway/Finland is the land of darkness and evil and the UK is land of light and good. Or at least that's how it seemed to me in oTorg. I never got the sense that the UK under Aysle was particularly dangerous, or that London was laboring under any particular threat. Which then makes me feel like Ardinay and Tolwyn are just sitting on their butts instead of helping the Earthers take back their land.

When I read "Interview with Evil?", I felt Uthorian was made out to be a bumbling fool.

While I "like" the idea of 2 queens in the UK, I kind of wish Uthorian would have just killed her and taken Aysle and gone rampaging on his own. Unless I overlooked something, in TE he doesn't even have his partnership with Malraux. In my personal campaign he never possessed her and she was on the run/in hiding until Earth. Shen then came to ask for help, but saw that Earth was being invaded itself by multiple high lords.

In TE, Uthorian might not be "bumbling", but he seems more of a lacky. And again, I can't see any darkness device choosing someone that is just another High Lord's subordinate.
- Leamon Crafton Jr.
Infiniverse Exchange author:

The Paraverse: An entire alternate Cosmverse
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237607/

The Knights of the Road: Archtypes designed as a Storm Knight group
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228365/

jhosmer1

Postby jhosmer1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:57 am

I've been thinking about this for a while...

What I want (what I really, really want :) most of all is some idea of how to run the WAR.

oTORG leaned heavily on the Infiniverse for the metaplot. That's good in a way, but the results were... mixed? On the one hand, players did have an impact (they stopped the would-be High Lord of Earth, or Thrakmoss from taking Baruk Kaah's place, for instance). On the other, the war meandered on and wasn't really that exciting a lot of the time, and the High Lords made some questionable choices like Berlin and the Nile's invasion of Texas. Reading the old Infiniverse, I never got the idea that many stelae were ripped up, or if they were, the High Lords had back-ups.

(A lot of this was probably because the Official_TM plot had to keep the war going for as long as the product line ran. They did offer a system of High Lord points, but it was... less than ideal.)

I'm sure the Cosm splatbooks will have a lot of stuff about each High Lord's personality and plans, which will be a great help, but GMs need advice for how to decide what resources a High Lord has at his disposal to act, how to deal with PCs ripping up stelae, and basically run the War if they don't want to follow the official metaplot.

Obviously, 21st century technology gives Ulisses Spiele a lot more options than WEG had in the 90s.

What don't I want?

Well, most of all, no modules like "No Quarter Given" where NPCs take up a huge share of the limelight. The PCs are the heroes of their campaign, not Captain Verdigris.

DerHuthmacher

Postby DerHuthmacher » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:29 am

What I want:

A living, breathing world were I can stage adventures / sessions / whatever you like to call it.
I concur to that we need guidelines to keep the war running, as this is directly correlating to my "living, breathing world" idea.

As unrealistic as this game might be - I won't discuss that - we need a certain amount of in-game realism.

What I don't want:

Chasing my players and their respective characters from adventure to adventure with them having the feeling this would lead to nothing.
For that, I'd hail any metaplot and when (not if) adventures are released, have them build upon each other. I'd like a long and good campaign.

What will take me to the verge of hate-induced lunacy:

Any kind of goofiness, including but not limited to: Edeinos rock stars, Edeinos pulp heroes, Skippy the wonder-dog, Uthorion being killed off-panel.
I think you get what I'm trying to say.
---
Hell is where the heart is.

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:12 pm

I am not a fan of Do and Don't. I think it is much more fun to take something that is not working quite good and improving it. Seeing how great Ulisses did improving on oTorg ideas, I am confident that they will manage to come up with GoT like intrigue in TorgE. oTorg obviously was planned to have conflicts of houses but they never came around with it.
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:53 pm

The main idea was to figure out what people like (so Ulisses will do more of it) and what they don't like (so Ulisses can change it or drop it).
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

TorgHacker

Postby TorgHacker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:04 pm

Stormchild wrote:I am not a fan of Do and Don't. I think it is much more fun to take something that is not working quite good and improving it. Seeing how great Ulisses did improving on oTorg ideas, I am confident that they will manage to come up with GoT like intrigue in TorgE. oTorg obviously was planned to have conflicts of houses but they never came around with it.

Just for the record, the GoT angle for Aysle was an early direction that was decided against, basically because, to quote someone:

"Torg is an action/adventure game, not a political thriller game."

Aysle will have some intrigue (actually at that point we'd debated giving Aysle the Law of Intrigue) but it's not going to be a focus.
Deanna Gilbert
Torg Eternity designer
Ulisses North America

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”