Novels

flamepulse

Novels

Postby flamepulse » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:04 am

Anyone read the Torg Novels? Ive only read the trilogy, managed to get ahold of all 9 of the novels this weekend on amazon and ebay. looking forward to reading them.

Gargoyle

Re: Novels

Postby Gargoyle » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:19 am

I have read the main three. I enjoyed them the first time I read them, but rereading them nowadays I realize that my enjoyment was more about the setting than quality of the fiction. They aren't very well written, I just love the setting so much though. Haven't really looked at the other books yet, though I own a couple and probably read them decades ago, just don't remember.

I think for oTorg at least, the trilogy is great for learning about what the setting is about, it sets what I consider my preferred tone, dark but not hopeless.
"That old chestnut?"

Gargoyle

Kuildeous

Postby Kuildeous » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:24 pm

I read the original trilogy when it came out. It really was very simply written, but the ideas were all very cool. I got into the opening tale of the Core Earther who transformed to Living Land.

There were some neat story ideas, such as Kurst becoming a Storm Knight, the creation of the Cyberpapacy, the reclamation of Lady Ardinay, the invention of Mobius' sun, and the Gaunt Man's maelstrom. I remember not being impressed by the writing style when I was younger, so I'm kind of afraid to read them now. They were fast reads, so there is that benefit.

I've read some of the subsequent books, but I cannot remember which ones. I'm sure many of them were written decently enough, but they just didn't stick in my memory.
The Boneyard – Friends and foes within Tharkold's Blasted Land

Infiniverse Exchange Word template – Infiniverse Exchange template for MS Word users

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:00 pm

I read the novels about five times and am in the process of reading them again right now. Indeed they are no great literature but they aren't as bad as I remembered. Back at the time I compared them to Shadowrun novels especially Nigel Findley and Robert N. Charette so they had no chance. My favourite btw are Strange Tales from the Nile Empire and Mysterious Cairo. Dragons over England is OK, Out of Nippon too, City of Pain is real pain to read and Interview of Evil does not exist, period.
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:14 pm

I for one am really hoping for more novels.

The original trilogy is a fun read. Mysterious Cairo is great. Strange Tales of the Nile Empire is hit and miss. Dragons over England is ok. Out of Nippon was fair. City of Pain was bad and No, Interview with Evil was never actually published. It. Was. Never. Published.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:18 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:I for one am really hoping for more novels.

The original trilogy is a fun read. Mysterious Cairo is great. Strange Tales of the Nile Empire is hit and miss. Dragons over England is ok. Out of Nippon was fair. City of Pain was bad and No, Interview with Evil was never actually published. It. Was. Never. Published.

But there was an "excerpt" somewhere...
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

carldot34

Postby carldot34 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:41 am

Are you sure? I was convinced that I had an actual copy somewhere. I remember it being physically larger that the other novels, for a paperback. I'm sure I can't have dreamed it!

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:56 am

carldot34 wrote:Are you sure? I was convinced that I had an actual copy somewhere. I remember it being physically larger that the other novels, for a paperback. I'm sure I can't have dreamed it!

In an alternate reality a novel called Interview with evil does surely exist (and there is a spot in my bookshelf that does look like a portal to that alternate reality) but in Torg cosmversile thinking it cannot exist. It is full to the brim with contradictions to the official Torg timeline, so it cannot exist in any Torg reality at all (or it is a transcript of a bunch of lies the Gaunt Man told a reporter).
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

Zackzenobi

Postby Zackzenobi » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:19 am

What we are saying is that the book is so bad, it is beyond dead to us. It doesn't even exist to us.

Rabbitball

Postby Rabbitball » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:58 pm

Zackzenobi wrote:What we are saying is that the book is so bad, it is beyond dead to us. It doesn't even exist to us.

Got it. The problem was that this game has grognards like me who honestly remember seeing something from Interview with Evil but had deleted the bit that told me whether it came from the book itself or from another Torg publication that merely quoted a part of it.
Dominick Riesland, aka Rabbitball
Co-author, Aysle Sourcebook for Torg Eternity
Creator of the Cosmversal Grimoire
"Those who will not follow are doomed to lead"—Anarchist, Magic: the Gathering

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”