Novels

Skelett

Re: Novels

Postby Skelett » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:35 am

Stormchild wrote:The day I have TorgE in my hands, I will start writing Solos.

I would like to see them when you're finished! Since I love the setting but may have difficulty finding a group to play with, solo adventures are particularly appealing to me. I hope Ulisses will be lenient toward the presentation and use of fan created Torg material on the web, especially since that's really all that has been available for Torg for many, many years if you wanted anything new. The trickle of new fan material could soon become a flood, comparatively. I hope they go with the flow. I still plan to buy plenty of new Torg books regardless, and support future Kickstarters.

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:58 am

I have to disappoint you a bit. Being german, I am not good enough in writing english text. My solos will be fan material in german as follow-ups to the games I am going to GM at Cons or - hopefully soon - in an upcoming regular group. But I could write them in my crude english if there is a native speaker who is willing to polish them up.
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

Skelett

Postby Skelett » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:58 pm

I'm not completely disappointed, because I know enough German that I could probably play your solo adventures--with the help of a dictionary, of course. :) So please let me know when you have finished. I would enjoy the challenge of a German language solo adventure. If you ever wanted to write an English version or even translate your German material, I may be able to help polish it enough for an English speaking audience. I cannot promise much, but I have done a little writing, both of stories and solo adventures of my own. I have very limited experience in translation, but perhaps with my knowledge of German the ideas could be communicated well enough to clarify the meaning in English. Of course, it would be a huge help to have a flowchart to look at to keep things organized. There are plenty of flowchart programs available out there, so I'm sure you could find something.

But yes, I could help you reach an English speaking audience, though it would be slow work since I don't know how much time I could devote to it. I would be willing to try one adventure, and see how it goes. It does sound like an intriguing challenge. I may not be a regular roleplayer anymore, but I guess there are all kinds of RPG geeks out there. I must say that this actually sounds like fun, if you ever get so far and are interested.

carldot34

Postby carldot34 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:14 pm

I love this back and forth ideas between new friends on the forum!

Stormchild

Postby Stormchild » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:41 pm

Skelett wrote:So please let me know when you have finished.

I will. Promise

Skelett wrote:If you ever wanted to write an English version or even translate your German material, I may be able to help polish it enough for an English speaking audience.

I will write it in english but it will surely need some polishing.

Skelett wrote: Of course, it would be a huge help to have a flowchart to look at to keep things organized.

I don't know how to work with flowcharts but presumably it is the same way I am writing my adventures anyway. I start with the basic storyline and walk it through the hot spots where the scenes are to happen. Then I arrange the scenes anew to centralize the hot spots and get as many connections to each hot spot as possible, then I build it step for step for each line leading to each hot spot and away from it. So, as far as I understand it, this is basically a flowchart.
I don't make things complicated. That's the way they get, all by themselves.

blackwind1kaze

Postby blackwind1kaze » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:40 am

Storm child, if you'd like, I could try to help with the English variant once you have a rough version of it.
I don't always GM, but when i do, I go out in style :ugeek:

Skelett

Postby Skelett » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:12 am

Stormchild wrote:I will write it in english but it will surely need some polishing.

Okay. But I could always help if you wanted to start with German for a section or two and then translate to English.

Stormchild wrote:I don't know how to work with flowcharts but presumably it is the same way I am writing my adventures anyway. I start with the basic storyline and walk it through the hot spots where the scenes are to happen. Then I arrange the scenes anew to centralize the hot spots and get as many connections to each hot spot as possible, then I build it step for step for each line leading to each hot spot and away from it. So, as far as I understand it, this is basically a flowchart.

That sounds good! :) It's not so important to have a flowchart, exactly, but some form of organization that you could share would be essential. Even a scanned page of notes would help. Otherwise the order of sections would be very difficult to understand, and make it very difficult to edit. Your method actually sounds similar to my own, though in the past I have built actual flowcharts to help others understand my own solo adventures. I don't know if I succeeded or not, but I tried... :D

I will be available to help if you want, though I am certainly not going to ask you to commit to anything so soon. It's more important that you have fun with the project, and do what you are comfortable with. After all, why else would you do it? But I will be around here on the forums so if you do decide to let me help, that would be great!

Winter336

Postby Winter336 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:56 pm

I read the trilogy a few months back. They're great, IF you're already into the fiction of the game. The first one is really good, the second one is so much better, but the third one tanks for me. The grammar and proofreading is super duper bad, and the ending contradicts the official timeline of the game in nearly every way. It was very frustrating coming to that ending, but everything else was really enjoyable. The politics of the US Government, while simple, were very interesting and dramatic to read, as well as the all out Coup De Grace by the Delphi Council. I really want to get the to the other books, but I have a thing about owning physical copies over pdfs so I'll have to buy them after the kickstarter is done.

Skelett

Postby Skelett » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:15 pm

Woohoo! The new set of Kickstarter stretch goals, set 8, is for a new trilogy of novels, released in PDF format! The goal for the first book is already met at $240k, with the next two at $260k and $280k. This sounds completely attainable the way things are going--with 20 days left, I'm sure it can be reached!

I suppose it will take some time before all three are released, unless Ulisses Spiele has had this one up their sleeve for a while. Still, I'm looking forward to them and this stretch goal really makes my day! Come on, $280,000!!!

marshal kt

Postby marshal kt » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:18 pm

I just started rereading the trilogy. I have several of the other books. I don't recall which ones I read back when they were first released. I think I had all of them back then. I know I had most of the gaming books.

Return to “Tangents and Miscellany (TORG)”