TDE - The White Lake (Theater Knights I)

Eric USNA

TDE - The White Lake (Theater Knights I)

Postby Eric USNA » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:57 pm

TheWhiteLakeCover.jpg
TheWhiteLakeCover.jpg (176.71 KiB) Viewed 10748 times

As the first snowflakes of the season begin to fall in Bornland, an armed group sets out in search of the missing Thorwal Drum, a symbol of pride and patriotism for the citizens of Festum. The Drum was stolen last spring, and to get it back, Guard Captain Timpski and his men are more than willing to use force.

The trail leads them to a laager of Norbard houseboats locked in the ice, and only the heroes are able to delay a brutal assault by Timpski’s band. The fragile situation is soon complicated by a blossoming romance between Jääni and Bruutsh, two literature-loving goblins from Festum, and disaster strikes.

This first adventure in the Theater Knights Campaign introduces important characters, races, and power blocks, and sets the stage for new developments in the history of Bornland and the legendary Order of the Theater Knights.

This book includes all necessary supporting information, such as stats, maps, and floor plans. To play, you need The Dark Eye Core Rules as well as the Aventuria Almanac, which provides a deeper understanding of the setting. The White Lake may also be played as a stand-alone adventure.

Reference material for the whole Theater Knights campaign is now available at http://www.ulisses-us.com/downloads/

------------------

Early digital copies have been sent out to our "All the PDFs" backers. Coming soon to a store near you!

Lambert

Re: TDE - The White Lake (Theater Knights I)

Postby Lambert » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:59 am

This looks great,
I am deliberately not more than glancing at this in case someone might one day run this for me.

Eric USNA wrote:The trail leads them to a laager of Norbard houseboats locked in the ice,

I had to look up laager in the dictionary, wow, that doesn't happen often to me any more. Well done :)

Morgoth Feuerklinge

Postby Morgoth Feuerklinge » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:09 am

How would you say it?
Please excuse my bad English, I'm a beginner.

TDE since: 1998
Current TDE rule set: 4.1
Played adventures: 55

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:38 am

Never trust a smiling gamemaster

Thrar

Postby Thrar » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:05 am

Translated by a South African? Why not use the term wagon fort?

This reminds me of Gaukelei - obscure translations (or non-translations) that make a simple concept impossible to understand without looking it up.

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:48 am

"Wagon fort of houseboats" would be kind of a mixed metaphor, though.

If you want, I can ask the editor for his thoughts on why they used that term, but my guess is that most of the other English phrases to describe this concept use the word wagon, which is tricky when referring to boats.

My personal learning moment in translation was "corduroy road" (in the Aventuria expansion Forest of No Return). I had never heard the term before, but it's definitely a thing.

Also, I'm still a fan of Gaukelei, but I understand if you want to say "Circus Arts." :)

HEX the Dark

Postby HEX the Dark » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:06 pm

I personally think laager adds to the flavor of the Norbards being from a different culture than the people you'd usually find in the Bornland. Even better would be a translation similar to the yiddish translation (if there is a word in it), since the Norbards draw heavily from the easter eurpean jews.
And I think it's it's funny that it's pronounced like the beer. :D

Oh yeah and Gaukelei basically means circus arts (juggling, balancing), but also things like making funny jokes, faces, etc.
The translations are not quite clear, because there are some word crossings.

A Gaukler (in this case here) is basically a jester, a clown, a juggler, a buffo(on), a trickster. So Gaukelei would be "the art of a jester" or something.
Never trust a smiling gamemaster

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:01 am

Hi guys. I've been under tight schedule for the last month and a half so I wasn't even checking forum.
It's good to be back ;)
I've received my copy of this adventure but didn't have time to read it yet. As I'm plan to run this adventure in near future, I have one question.
Are adventures Thorwal Drum and The White Lake linked? Because of Thorwal drum theft.
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:42 am

Yes, The Thorwal Drum acts as a sort of introductory chapter to the Theater Knights series. It's not necessary to play it first, but the events and some of the characters are connected.

-Eric

MadBeard

Postby MadBeard » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:20 am

Thanks Eric.
I will first check Thorwal Drum and probably run both then.
I'd have to be a warrior, a slave I couldn't be.
A soldier and a conqueror, fighting to be free.

"Warrior" - Wishbone Ash

Return to “Product Announcements”