Longtime Dark Heresy GM dipping my toe

Adeptus-B

Longtime Dark Heresy GM dipping my toe

Postby Adeptus-B » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:05 pm

Hi, I'm Brian, but I'll be keeping my old FFG forum handle of Adeptus-B. I've been GMing DARK HERESY off and on since it came out, with occasional diversions into DEATHWATCH. Just picked up the W&G rulebook, looking forward to 'kicking the tires' on the new system.

Eidrog

Re: Longtime Dark Heresy GM dipping my toe

Postby Eidrog » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:02 pm

Hey Brian!

I only played a little bit of Dark Heresy. I loved that it dealt with the 40k IP, but I found the rules to be a bit complex and difficult to teach. :geek: Albeit, I loved how deadly combat was, which something that you don’t see in a lot of RPG’s.

W&G is much more stream-lined, and it’s pretty easy to tech new players, particularly when using the pre-generated characters.

Now if I could just somehow quickly teach my players 30+ years of 40k lore. :shock:

Aenno

Postby Aenno » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:32 am

Eidrog wrote:Now if I could just somehow quickly teach my players 30+ years of 40k lore.

If your players don't know 40K lore, you can use an approach I used once:
1. Devise a planet, backward one, without real absorbtion into Imperial culture (something easy and nice to get: I used a planet inspired by Cold War Earth, but everything possible), where people knows "ok, Imperium exist, our rulers do answer for them, they have their cult of the Immortal Emperor, and, well, that's it; you better don't mess with a guys in mantles with sculls or two-headed eagles".
2. Let your players create a characters from this planet, so they can start here.
3. Let them learn 40K lore with their characters, gradually.
I argue fiercely, but I never believed disagreement should be capital offence.

I'm editing my posts often. English isn't my native language, and I'm doing a lot of mistakes; that, with thoughtful rereading, I often found and want to edit.

USNA Jason Peck

Postby USNA Jason Peck » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:23 am

Aenno wrote:
Eidrog wrote:Now if I could just somehow quickly teach my players 30+ years of 40k lore.

If your players don't know 40K lore, you can use an approach I used once:
1. Devise a planet, backward one, without real absorbtion into Imperial culture (something easy and nice to get: I used a planet inspired by Cold War Earth, but everything possible), where people knows "ok, Imperium exist, our rulers do answer for them, they have their cult of the Immortal Emperor, and, well, that's it; you better don't mess with a guys in mantles with sculls or two-headed eagles".
2. Let your players create a characters from this planet, so they can start here.
3. Let them learn 40K lore with their characters, gradually.

Honestly, I kinda dig this plan. 40k lore can be a bit intimidating in it's vast scope. Easing players into the pool can be a legit method for keeping some players from being overwhelmed. Each GM needs to gauge his or her own players separately of course.
Wrath & Glory Community Manager

Return to “Newcomer Introduction and FAQ (W&G)”