Multi-action questions

HenriHakl

Multi-action questions

Postby HenriHakl » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:29 pm

The quick rules in Blessings Unheralded indicate that the same action may not be performed twice. But what exactly distinguishes an action? Some scenarios are listed below; more than one may be legal.

Scenario A (different targets):
1. First action is an "Interact Attack (deception)" on foe A
2. Second action is an "Interact Attack (deception)" on foe B

Scenario B (different skills):
2. Second action is an "Interact Attack (athletics)" on foe A

Scenario C (different targets and skills)
2. Second action is an "Interact Attack (athletics)" on foe B

Scenario C (different "attacks")
1. First action is an Interact "Attack" (deception)
2. Second action is a normal "attack"

Scenario E (different types of attack)
1. First action is a melee attack
2. Second action is a ranged attack

Scenario F (different actions that do a melee attack)
1. First action is a charge (melee) attack
2. Second action is a normal melee attack

Scenario G (different actions that are associated with different types of attack)
1. First action is an all-out (melee) attack
2. Second action is a called shot (ranged) attack

Abbadon'sJanitor

Re: Multi-action questions

Postby Abbadon'sJanitor » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:09 pm

I, for one, am also interested in this.

My players tend to subconsciously powergame, so I could see at least one of them attempting one or more of the actions above. It'd be nice to know just what is allowed and what is pushing the system's boundaries a bit too far.

Savioronedge

Postby Savioronedge » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:35 am

Disclaimer: I have not read any of the released material to date asside from the comics. I am very familiar with game systems which were influential in making W&G, however.

Scenario:

A: look for "Multi-targeting" rules as this is one action with many targets.

B: this is a multiaction, and should be allowed, though the question of "what do you hope to accomplish by making this harder" comes to mind

C: multiaction with Multi-targeting, again allowed with the expected question of "why?" though less so than B

D: same or different targets? Take answers from above depending. Should be allowed.

E: so my Whichblade and Shuriken Pistol? Or Gut a then throw that blade into b?

F: I believe "Charge" is a "full round action" or otherwise expressly unusable with a multiaction, though Multi-targeting should still be allowed.

G: All-Out Attack should take your full round and be unusable in a multiaction, though, again, Multi-targeting should be ok.

Hope this helps .

BanaB

Postby BanaB » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:20 am

Multi-action is broken in my eyes. But first to your question:

Scenario A is covered by Multi-Attack.

Scenario B cant be done, cant use same action twice.

Scenario C cant be done, cant use the same action twice.

Scenario D both +2 DN, but works.

Scenario E both +2 DN, but works.

Scenario F both +2 DN, but works.

Scenario G cant be done, a character performing an All-Out-Attack cant use Multi-Action.

Now to the real fuckery:

Multi-Action
"Example: Michael’s character, Sigma-19, is in a firefight
and has run out of ammunition thanks to a Complication
in the previous round. Michael wants Sigma-19 to fire
on the cult leader, but reloading requires one action
and making an attack requires another action. Michael
declares that Sigma-19 is using a Multi-Action to
reload his weapon and fire in the same turn. Each
action incurs a penalty of +2 to the DN."

You dont roll to reload, so you can ignore the +2 DN and the example makes no sense.
It also means that every movement action before Multi-Action is overpowered because you dont roll for them, so you ignore the +2 DN.
So basically my players move their speed, use run to move their speed again, and shoot with +2 DN only on the shoot roll.
This is btw the bonus that you normally get from Weapons with the "Assault" trait.

????

Verispex

Postby Verispex » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Good afternoon everyone. I'll try and clear a bit of this up.

First, Multi-Attack on page 222 says " multi-attack allows a character to target multiple enemies with a melee or ranged attack"

Multi-actions states "you may not make the same action twice"

So looking at the scenarios with these two pieces of information as follows.

Senerio A is not possible within the rules.

Scenerio B is same as A. Just because the attribute used is different, it's still the same action

Scenerio C is not viable for both A and B

Scenerio D is Multi Action effectively

Scenerio E runs into the "Engaged Target" rule on 218 which states "Combatants who are adjacent to one another are considered "engaged" in close combat. While engaged in close combat, combatants may only make melee attacks against each other" as well as "Ranged Weapons in Melee" on 220 which states " a character engaged in hand to hand combat may only use pistols or rifles that possess a bayonet. Using a pistol while the character is engaged uses the character's Weapon Skill instead of Ballistic Skill." So making a ranged attack while in melee is not possible.

Scenerio F i discussed with Ross. They are considered seperate actions and this is Edit: Not viable. (Edit: After re-reading Charge, we overlooked the following when I answered this "A character can combine their move and action to charge at a target" which means there's no way to use it with multi-action or multi-attack, since your action is already "used up" by charging.)

Scenerio G runs into the same issue as E in regards to ranged attacks while in melee.

As for the example that includes reload and a DN modifier, I believe they were just quoting the rule and not specifically meaning to imply the Reload has a DN.

I hope this helps!

- Donavin
Wrath & Glory Community Manager

BanaB

Postby BanaB » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:53 pm

Thanks for the clarify.

But what about multi-action and the "assault" trait on weapons?

p.274 "Optimised for firing on the move, a hero armed
with an Assault firearm can fire from the hip
while charging into the fray. Assault weapons can
be fired as part of a Run Action, but they increase
the attack’s difficulty by 2."

If Multi-Action allows me to run (no DN) and make a ranged attack (with +2 DN) anyway then the assault trait is obsolete?

Verispex

Postby Verispex » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:14 pm

BanaB wrote:Thanks for the clarify.

But what about multi-action and the "assault" trait on weapons?

p.274 "Optimised for firing on the move, a hero armed
with an Assault firearm can fire from the hip
while charging into the fray. Assault weapons can
be fired as part of a Run Action, but they increase
the attack’s difficulty by 2."

If Multi-Action allows me to run (no DN) and make a ranged attack (with +2 DN) anyway then the assault trait is obsolete?

It's all economy of actions (which is a term I like that someone else coined on the forums earlier). Also Consider Scenario F above, which is viable. So Standard Move with Multi-Action of Run (with Assault shooting) and Ranged attack is viable, or if you needed to reload instead of shooting the second time, or Standard move with multi-action of interaction attack (lowering defense) and running (with the assault weapon firing).

Thanks for the great question nd have a wonderful day!

- Donavin
Wrath & Glory Community Manager

HenriHakl

Postby HenriHakl » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:37 am

Verispex wrote:Scenerio E runs into the "Engaged Target" rule on 218 which states "Combatants who are adjacent to one another are considered "engaged" in close combat. While engaged in close combat, combatants may only make melee attacks against each other" as well as "Ranged Weapons in Melee" on 220 which states " a character engaged in hand to hand combat may only use pistols or rifles that possess a bayonet. Using a pistol while the character is engaged uses the character's Weapon Skill instead of Ballistic Skill." So making a ranged attack while in melee is not possible.

Scenerio G runs into the same issue as E in regards to ranged attacks while in melee.

You say that with such certainty. But you're assuming that Warboss Wakamowl cannot kill puny 'oomie with one melee attack? No'more engaged. Shooty time.

BanaB

Postby BanaB » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:59 am

Or the mighty Warboss just shoots first, then moves, then attacks in melee.
Just to be sure.

HenriHakl

Postby HenriHakl » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:26 am

BanaB wrote:Or the mighty Warboss just shoots first, then moves, then attacks in melee.
Just to be sure.

Very valid point. Some 'oomies just pretend to be ded by spilling ther brains all over floor. Betta to stomp them ekstra like.

Return to “Rules Questions (W&G)”