Worst Psychic power...

MitchellTF

Worst Psychic power...

Postby MitchellTF » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:54 pm

Avin’tril

Re: Worst Psychic power...

Postby Avin’tril » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:36 pm

I'll bite...

No, I don't really see a problem. There is one you may have in mind specifically, I believe though. (Hence the post.)

Cost on Soul Shrivel seems about right, considering the decreased cost to cause extra mortal wounds. Range is mostly irrelevant in RPG scale. The corruption test is fun; could trigger a mutation if it causes the victim to cross a Corruption threshold. (Which is easier than it sounds at only 5 corruption between malignancy tests.)

What were your thoughts? (I assume you are in the "Smite Camp"? Could be wrong though...)

MitchellTF

Postby MitchellTF » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:33 pm

It costs 20 points. For something that does about the same damage as Smite. And that takes 5 hits until an enemy gets in trouble. I was thinking for PCs, not NPCs. For NPCs? Makes sense.

Avin’tril

Postby Avin’tril » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:29 pm

MitchellTF wrote:It costs 20 points. For something that does about the same damage as Smite. And that takes 5 hits until an enemy gets in trouble. I was thinking for PCs, not NPCs. For NPCs? Makes sense.

I can see your point on the PC vs NPC. Smite seems to be the better (min/max) option. But, that's no fun for you (the GM).

Can you just imagine (through the power of Plot) the look of sadistic pleasure on your Chaos player's face when the Soul Shrivel does hit the right target?! Not to mention the look of sheer horror when the Imperial scum NPC (conveniently) fails a Corruption threshold check and spontaneously mutates? **sounds of screaming and bones cracking as the unfortunate soul settles into his new mutant arrangement**

Or the sheer Chaotic delight darkening the countenance of your favorite rogue psyker should that unfortunate soul get overwhelmed and turn into a hideous (beautiful?) Chaos Spawn?! Storytelling gold!

So many possibilities for great story elements when it comes to Corruption. :twisted:

MitchellTF

Postby MitchellTF » Wed May 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Oh gosh yes. The problem is, according to RAW...You'd have to hit 5 times for the REALLY fun stuff.

Which...is not worth 20 points. But, yes. It is a FUN power, but not a WELL DESIGNED power. It either needs a cost decrease...or to replace Smite. (If it doesn't already).

This was brought to me by a player.

Edit: WEird...double posted.

jack_px

Postby jack_px » Sat May 04, 2019 10:31 pm

Ok i think you are ignoring some importants points here:

- The real cost of smite is 10, so only if you choose a psyker archetype you will get this power for free, and there are many ways to become a psyker in this game, maybe even warp exposure could get you that.

- In this game (which i dont really like how they did this), there are many source of corruption, even mundane things like pollution or radiation (read page 365 so you can get the idea), so almost ALL the people would have some degree of corruption, in my opinion you dont really need 5 hits for the fun part, ypu would need maybe 1 or 2(although this is up to the DM but personally everybody should have at least some point of corruption), and not taking in consideration heretics (who should have waaay more that common people), i just imagined a boss battle against a psyker heretic and one player using this power could get an awesome result xddd. Now if you are the heretic this power could get even better... that ordo maellus boss Inquisitor?, i think you can get the picture.

Nitoryu Kushirin

Postby Nitoryu Kushirin » Mon May 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Avin’tril wrote:Storytelling gold!

The moment a system tells me that storytelling gold costs more char-advancement-resource-wise than actual efficiency, I know that it's a bad system in at least one regard.

Avin’tril

Postby Avin’tril » Tue May 14, 2019 12:28 am

Nitoryu Kushirin wrote:
Avin’tril wrote:Storytelling gold!

The moment a system tells me that storytelling gold costs more char-advancement-resource-wise than actual efficiency, I know that it's a bad system in at least one regard.

And you are fully correct, from your standpoint. From the standpoint of others... it's storytelling gold. ;)

Some play the game for the rules... but, I don't really remember the last time I've heard, "Wow! The way you harrangued the GM, on and on, for 20 minutes last session about the cost of your psychic power was the best I've ever seen! I'll be telling my grandchildren about that for decades to come!!"

Some play for the story. Its all good. :)

Return to “Rules Questions (W&G)”