Psychic power sustaining rules are overly punishing and don't even line up with some powers

Nitoryu Kushirin

Psychic power sustaining rules are overly punishing and don't even line up with some powers

Postby Nitoryu Kushirin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:40 am

Psychic power sustenance mechanics seem overly punishing.
As of now, sustaining a psychic power adds +2 DN to all tests, yet there are powers (Chameleon, Conceal, Embolden, Enhance) that provide bonuses... that don't even compensate the psyker for that DN raise in the first place (unless you gain a lot of potency increases)! It's like these powers were written for another sustenance mechanic altogether.
Was that penalty at some point supposed to apply to psychic tests only?

Buttblight

Re: Psychic power sustaining rules are overly punishing and don't even line up with some powers

Postby Buttblight » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:39 am

dunno but we spotted that too. My original thoughts were to include a new talent allows you to reduce the penalty by your rank bonus. Given the overall hostility vs psykers tho i figured i'd just keep any psyker based homebrew solutions to myself. After all i'm pretty sure that your statements aren't going to sit well with the 'We Hate Psykers' crowd who are presumably incapable of making a non-psyker who kicks ass.

To be honest tho psykers in this edition are pretty crap.

PS - I've recently been told that somewhere there is allegedly a cap on the number of talents a character can possess based on tier...not sure why this exists but..meh....
W&G is new and anyone who thinks it won't have gaping holes you could drive a battle barge through is a fool. Players drive those barges. My Homebrew Link is
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao2esVkV2lOmg58fCMmHoAeVwm_91Q

BRKNdevil

Re: Psychic power sustaining rules are overly punishing and don't even line up with some powers

Postby BRKNdevil » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:06 am

We don't hate psykers for being psykers, we hate them because they cost way to much when the ascension of a tier 1 character is just as good. Agreeing with the Alignment Issue of Mechanics though
The only Psyker class currently out that seems like it doesn't trip on itself is the Warlock

Buttblight

Postby Buttblight » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Hiya,
I can only assume you've not found the *true* we hate Psykers crowd. If so then rest assured you should be happy about that :-)
I'm on about the peeps who seem to think that having the ability to smite, burn or otherwise attack something via psychic means somehow comes even remotely close to matching a dude with a half decent popgun.

As for the talent and psychic power limit via tier I really have no idea why either exist, but that's for another thread if i can even be bothered to address it....after all i can just ignore it :-)
W&G is new and anyone who thinks it won't have gaping holes you could drive a battle barge through is a fool. Players drive those barges. My Homebrew Link is
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao2esVkV2lOmg58fCMmHoAeVwm_91Q

BanaB

Postby BanaB » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:11 pm

Consider that the psyker uses his spells on an ally instead of himself and your problem is solved.

Nitoryu Kushirin

Postby Nitoryu Kushirin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:11 pm

BanaB wrote:Consider that the psyker uses his spells on an ally instead of himself and your problem is solved.

Chameleon is self-only.

BanaB

Postby BanaB » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:19 pm

Nitoryu Kushirin wrote:
BanaB wrote:Consider that the psyker uses his spells on an ally instead of himself and your problem is solved.

Chameleon is self-only.

Which gives you still a higher advantage than without?

Nitoryu Kushirin

Postby Nitoryu Kushirin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:21 pm

BanaB wrote:Which gives you still a higher advantage than without?

Not unless you roll a lot of potency; the base bonus is +1d to stealth, while you suffer +2DN to everything (including stealth).

BanaB

Postby BanaB » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:24 pm

The base bonus is also +1 def and outside of mechanics you just become one with your surroundings.

You realise we are talkin about a pen&paper and not a videogame or tabletop, right?

Nitoryu Kushirin

Postby Nitoryu Kushirin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:27 pm

BanaB wrote:The base bonus is also +1 def and outside of mechanics you just become one with your surroundings.

Why give that +1d then, if the sustenance penalty fully eats it?
BanaB wrote:You realise we are talkin about a pen&paper and not a videogame or tabletop, right?

Yes. What's your point, aside from not realising on your own that pen&paper games are tabletop too?

Return to “Rules Questions (W&G)”