Familiarity

Aenno

Familiarity

Postby Aenno » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:57 pm

Just to be sure I didn't miss it in the rules: does game somehow model familiarity, or every Guardsman supposed to operate, let's say, Eldar tech without any difficulty beyond getting his hands on it?
I argue fiercely, but I never believed disagreement should be capital offence.

I'm editing my posts often. English isn't my native language, and I'm doing a lot of mistakes; that, with thoughtful rereading, I often found and want to edit.

quindraco

Re: Familiarity

Postby quindraco » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:59 pm

This is what we have:

p48 wrote:Keywords are important because they help
the Game Master determine what is the most
appropriate Difficulty Number or bonus to apply
in any given task that relates to your hero’s
keywords. For example, a character with the
“Inquisition” keyword is likely to have an easier
time dealing with Imperial Bureaucracy, while
a character with the “Aeldari” keyword is more
likely to gain a bonus from using a wraithbone
key to try and unlock a sealed door in an Aeldari
ship.

We don't have anything more than that in terms of hard rules, but the overall design attitude of the game suggests that you would answer this question based on keywords, with the GM assigning keywords to the wargear or other "thing" you are referring to, and severe penalties for someone who has no keywords in common with the thing. Unfortunately, the book doesn't offer specific guidance on this, but we can look to actual rules for keywords, and attempt to port them over: Influence uses keywords to get things, where if you have no keywords in common, you automatically fail. Hatred and Loremaster are talents in the opposite direction, offering +Rank bonus dice with specific keywords. I think the following is a reasonable way to port over the Influence rules for something like what you're describing:

When attempting a skillcheck using an object (such as Pilot with any vehicle, Weapon Skill or Ballistic Skill with any weapon, Psychic Mastery with a Psychic Focus, Awareness with an Auspex, and so on and so forth) or on an object (such as Tech to repair a thing), for any purpose where the nature of the object matters (i.e. ignore this rule when rolling Awareness to simply look at something and get a literal, physical description of the thing, or when rolling Athletics to simply hoist it), increase the DN by 8 if the character has no keywords in common with the object; at the GM's discretion, the skillcheck may simply be impossible instead, such as a non-Psyker human attempting to telepathically contact the spirit in a Spirit Stone. Ordinarily, 1 keyword is sufficient to reduce this DN modifier to 0, but at the GM's discretion, the modifier may decrease at some other rate - for example, with Bolt Weapons that have the Primaris keyword, Bolt might reduce it by 1, Imperium by 2, Adeptus Astartes by 4, and Primaris by 8. Note that the GM may need to interpret certain keywords as synonymous for this, just as with acquiring gear - for example, the GM might rule that an object with only the Imperium keyword is also understood by anyone with the Chaos, Scum, and/or Ork keywords (and these keywords might reduce unfamiliarity at differing rates).

Return to “Rules Questions (W&G)”