Reload Clarification desired

Thendoctor

Reload Clarification desired

Postby Thendoctor » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:51 am

Is a single reload spent per individual combat scene a group has?

I'm not talking about special ammunition which the jury seems to still be out on. I'm talking about general run of the mill laspacks for a lasgun.

The wording on page 219 is "enough ammunition for a combat scne."

Furthermore "a character can keep firing their weapon for an entire battle without noticeably diminishing their ammunition supply"

So, how's that supposed to be ruled?

Reloads per combat scene? Seems to make sense given that it can imply a general amount of "Adventuring Day" 'ness to the rules and help guide the GM to see just how much combat a session should feasibly have if the PCs never go out of their way to get more Reloads or something for themselves.

Thanks for your time.

Ilias Bethomael

Re: Reload Clarification desired

Postby Ilias Bethomael » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:36 am

I'd say no. The rulebook is very specific when to spend reloads (apart from those instances where it isn't :lol: )

In my understanding, the passages you quote are meant to give ample reasoning for why W&G uses abstract ammuntion rules.
Courage and Honour!

gribble

Postby gribble » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:57 am

I concur - I've taken the "enough for a combat scene" to be illustrative, rather than a rule that you must expend one per scene.

Thendoctor

Postby Thendoctor » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:57 am

Eric USNA wrote:.
or
Verispex wrote:.

Any opinions on the situation?

Eric USNA

Postby Eric USNA » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:17 pm

My understanding is definitely that the intent here is for reloads only to be spent for the mechanical reasons listed in the book. The flavor text may give you an indication as to how and why they come back rather than additional reasons to take them away.

Thendoctor

Postby Thendoctor » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:57 pm

Eric USNA wrote:My understanding is definitely that the intent here is for reloads only to be spent for the mechanical reasons listed in the book. The flavor text may give you an indication as to how and why they come back rather than additional reasons to take them away.

Thank you very much for the response, I hope the holidays have treated you well enough. Should we be hearing about errata anytime soon while we're at it? It's been some time since September's update.

Thendoctor

Postby Thendoctor » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:17 am

A new clarification has come up at our table, specifically the difference between some wording issues and how it relates to when you run out of ammunition.

On page 273 it states that "If a character is out of Reloads, their weapons are out of ammo and cannot be used to make ranged attacks."

On page 220 it states in Complications: "If the character has no Reloads remaining, then such a Complication means that the cahracter is completely out of ammunition, rendering a weapon unusable until more ammo can be located."

The clarification desired is that when you've used your last Reload mechanically are you out of ammo, or do you have ammunition until you roll a complication that would use a reload that no longer exists?

Ilias Bethomael

Postby Ilias Bethomael » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:05 am

Thendoctor wrote:A new clarification has come up at our table, specifically the difference between some wording issues and how it relates to when you run out of ammunition.

On page 273 it states that "If a character is out of Reloads, their weapons are out of ammo and cannot be used to make ranged attacks."

On page 220 it states in Complications: "If the character has no Reloads remaining, then such a Complication means that the cahracter is completely out of ammunition, rendering a weapon unusable until more ammo can be located."

The clarification desired is that when you've used your last Reload mechanically are you out of ammo, or do you have ammunition until you roll a complication that would use a reload that no longer exists?

I'd say page 273 takes precedence, because it is a clear statement with regards to the mechanics of reloads, whereas the Complication's meaning for the mechanics of relaods is merely implied.

But the question is a real good one :D
Courage and Honour!

gribble

Postby gribble » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:58 am

My house rule for reloads requires the second interpretation (as does arguably common sense - otherwise it would be possible to start with a loaded gun and zero reloads and be unable to shoot it).
My house rule is that whenever you choose to, or are forced to, expend a reload you can either expend a normal reload or a reload of special ammo. Then the guns stats change to match either the normal ammo or special ammo, until you choose to or are forced to expend a reload again.
If you are ever forced to expend a reload and you have none remaining, your gun is out of ammo until you can obtain and expend a reload.

I found it simplifies ammo and reloads greatly over the rather confusing mess of rules in the CRB, while still maintaining the intent and simplicity.

Thendoctor

Postby Thendoctor » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:52 am

gribble wrote:.

I mean...that doesn't answer the question in any way shape or form, so...thanks for the input?

Return to “Rules Questions (W&G)”